PDA

View Full Version : ILS at Inverness

Egbert Bear
18th Apr 2004, 17:08
Does anyone have any info as to when the ILS at Inverness EGPE is going to be activated ?
I know it was installed last year but I believe there was a local objection to closing one of the roads in the area.

mad_jock
19th Apr 2004, 16:36
As none of the ATCO's seem to want to play I can only repeat whats been locally rumoured.

The road closure was refused by the Scottish dept who deal with that sort of thing. Until some conditions are met.

The conditions are quite long term projects (more than a year) which haven't started yet.

To be honest most have almost forgotten about it. More important things like whats happening to the aprons, car parking etc which are all still in committee with airport managment. Which I don't have a clue about either :D

So a very long winded way of saying I don't know but not soon.

MJ

jack-oh
19th Apr 2004, 19:52
At the last meeting, I had with Inverness at the beginning of March they said that the ILS should come on-line when construction started on the new airport access road. They had hoped May! However, when on line it will ironically cause more problems as the IFR spacing will be 10mins not 7 as is the current situation with the VOR/DME procedures. Furthermore, ac requiring to backtrack the RW will cause interference with the GP signal and therefore more spacing will need to be built in when they are on RW06 (or 05 to be). Incidentally, the back track problem was cited as one of the problems when contemplating the provision or radar sequencing. This summer will see Inverness stretched as they try and cope with the increased demand v the current infrastructure; as MJ stated the ILS is almost a forgotten issue as the lack of a parallel taxiway and dispersals along with inadequate car parking for passengers now seems to dominate the agenda. As someone who looks on from afar, it almost beggars belief.

Zarg
20th Apr 2004, 12:16
Well, the last time I flew from Dalcross to Wick was in 1955 in a DC3 of BEA............ nice to see that nothing much has changed!! :) :) :D

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2004, 10:52
There are still stains on the aprons from DC3's leaking there vital fluids everywhere.

The atlantic DAC's come in occasionally to cause an AVGAS shortage, what a great machine to see.

MJ

Egbert Bear
26th Apr 2004, 20:33
Many thanks for all your replys, they confirm what I had heard on the grapevine. Went there today to meet some guests who are staying at our B&B, and it was chaos. BMI Heathrow flight arrived about 4 hours late, followed minutes later by Easyjet from Gatwick, then a Logonair Saab from Stornoway and finally BA from Gatwick. Logonair was parked on the north apron outside the flying club, bagage handlers were running round like demented chickens and even managed to misplace luggage from the BA flight, and as a final note have you tried to find an area in the terminal away from the tobacco smoke, its impossible

mad_jock
6th Jun 2004, 15:59
Just an update.

The road at the 06 end is apprently getting shut on tuesday this week.

They still have to get calibrator up to certify it fit for use. After paper work etc should be looking at it going active in 4-6 weeks.
But...... who knows they still have the problem of painting the new runway markings etc etc.

I also hear they are removing the VOR procdure so even if the base is enough for the old VOR approach everyone will have to do the ILS procedure, which could on a none visual day rack up a fair amount of holding time compared to previously. Or on a visual day when the jets do the procedure and all the TP traffic is stuck in the hold above them.

We shall see.

MJ

niknak
6th Jun 2004, 22:00
Would that be just on this coming Tuesday, or every Tuesday each month? :p :E :p

mad_jock
7th Jun 2004, 09:24
;) Don't start.

Lets just hope i remember driving to work. Means an extra 2 miles now. At least we won't have to pay dodge the JBT lorry anymore.

MJ

mad_jock
7th Jun 2004, 20:22
Well the blokes were putting up the orange gates this morning.

There have been no warning signs on the road today and apparently no road closed signs will get put at the entrance either tomorrow.

So.... The chances of an artic reversing over a bridge and around 4 to 5 90deg turns is nearly zero so I suppose the road will be shut for a short time until the traffic jam builds up and then re opened.

MJ