PDA

View Full Version : N Ireland, Not so GA friendly?????

TonyR
18th Apr 2004, 10:21
This is in response to a post on the "PFA" thread from Dawn in Devon, who has had some bad experiences at N Ireland airfields.

QUOTE; "Hey Tony, Where can you fly to in N ireland, have had some bad experiences there last year.

EGAD: Very hostile and unhelpful, some bitch kepy on about Special Branch even though we had that all sorted by fax prior. I think it was the CFI who was a bit of a nasty bastard also, made us move our aircraft after it was parked under the instructions from the a/g radio. Not much of a welcome compaired to a few years ago.

EGAC: Cost about £60 landing, parking one night.

EGAA: Woodgate, God do you have to bribe the re-fuelers to leave their coffee. Very nice and helpful ATC though.

EGAE: Bastards all :- ATC, Security, Staff in shop, it'll be a cold day in hell before I'm back.

Dawn".

Any other complaints?

I will forward to the airfield operators / managers

Tony

WorkingHard
18th Apr 2004, 14:33
Go a little south and use Sligo. Very helpful, very friendly, not expensive and positively love visitors.

Zlin526
18th Apr 2004, 15:07
Found Newtownards & Enniskillen (for those mere mortals who dont know the ICAO codes off by heart) to be fairly friendly, apart from some jobsworth @ Enniskillen who wouldnt allow us into the terminal to eat our supplied lunch " 'cos a scheduled flight was inbound". This was an hour before i flew an air display there. I think we sorted it out by saying "I don't display on an empty stomach" Funny how things suddenly changed...

ISTR Newtownards was OK, especially as they had a Chinese Restaurant as part of the Flying Club. Outside the airfield gates though, t'was a bit grim...Staff fairly friendly, but it was in their interests, as we were there providing them with an airborne spectacle..

airbourne
18th Apr 2004, 15:53
i would have to disagree with the comments about LDY, anytime Ive been through there, its always been a pleasure plus they have a really nice bunch in the flying school too. Small numbers but very down to earth.

I suggest you go back and try it again!

Fly Stimulator
18th Apr 2004, 18:41
Thanks for the warning TonyR. I've made several very enjoyable trips to various fields in the Republic, and had wondered about the north, but I won't bother if that's what they're like.

Scuzi
18th Apr 2004, 18:51
I have to agree with you about EGAD, it has lost its charm in the past few years and is on the slippery slope to nowhere. I've only used it on training flights and I never intend to return. The Chinese restaurant and clubhouse had been burnt to the ground last time I was there, I don't know if it has been sorted yet.
I fly out of EGAA with Woodgate and I must say that they are a great bunch. The CFI and the rest of the instructors are all great people. The folk up at BFC are a friendly lot too. ATC at Aldergrove are very helpful and have helped me out of a few pickles!

EGAE isn't too bad but make sure you don't arrive while the controller is on his tea break, you'll never hear the end of it.

So, if you're thinking of coming to the North I would suggest Aldergrove as a first choice otherwise head to somewhere like Sligo or Abbeyshrule.

md 600 driver
18th Apr 2004, 18:53
ive used belfast city,newtownards,londonderry all have been ok with me

with a heli cant say about fixed wing

steve