PDA

View Full Version : Finningly/Robin Hood International

Flock1
17th Apr 2004, 18:32
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about how Finningly/Robin Hood will work.

I heard on the local news that some low budget airline will be using it sometime next year (Thompsonfly or something), and the airport management are looking to attact long haul airlines, as it boasts the 'longest runway in the region'.

Will it be Class D/E like Leeds-Bradford and Teesside, or will it be more like Blackpool and Humberside Airport?

Also, will it be general aviation friendly?

I apologise in advance if the answers to these questions are common knowlede to everyone else.

Regards

Flock1

windy1
17th Apr 2004, 21:10
I heard a talk on this recently and one memorable statistic was that 6m people live within 1 hour. Apparently these are the kind of numbers "to make it work". It it not seen as just as a hub for low cost airlines, but freight seems a serious runner as it is slap bang in the middle of England. GA will be accomodated, but in a limited form.

MikeeB
18th Apr 2004, 14:11
Won't airspace classification be decided by the number of movements?

niknak
18th Apr 2004, 22:03
If I were running a flying training organisation of any size in the area, I would be seriously looking at Robin Hood Finningly Donny International as a major source of revenue.

It's ideally placed, a massive facility with an equally huge catchment area, and there are many incentives for start up businesses in the aviation field.
Forget the airspace classification, eventually it will ineviatebly class D - possibly from the start date, but this doesn't mean G/A will be shut out.
It will be many years, if ever, before G/A is squeezed out in favour of the massive commercial success that it will be. :ok:

Capt BK
19th Apr 2004, 07:28
I don't know much about this legislation but I was under the impression that, as MikeeB says, it depends on the number of movements. So unless Peel can prove to the CAA's satisfaction that there will be a certain number movements I would have thought it will start with a standard ATZ.

They can then, I believe, apply to the CAA for a CTA however I would assume there will be many other considerations to take into account e.g. ATC facilities. I don't know what these are though. I fly from Humberside and have flown into Teeside many times and I still can't see much of a difference between the two!

I also don't think Robin Hood Donca..... will be the overnight success everyone seem to think it will be. In time yes but I personally think it will take a number of years before it starts imposing itself as a major regional.

CBK

Flash0710
19th Apr 2004, 09:50
Will the staff be merry men?

Satco = Sherrif?

Customs/Security Little John?

Check in now known as maids?

Friar Tuck on the bar perhaps....?:hmm:

MikeeB
19th Apr 2004, 11:24
In the local rag (Goole Times) it has been said that Peel Holdings have put in objections to a windfarm in the area. They say they require a study to determine the affect it may have on the radar system they are (I assume) plannning to install.

and for my 2p's worth.....

If six million people live within one hour of the place as things are today, they could do a lot worse than get a direct fast service to London on the ECML - unless that goes against what they are going to try to do with the place of course.

astir 8
19th Apr 2004, 11:39
Basically that will be the Vale of York stuffed for GA, gliding then.

Will there be any VFR route remaining in this country running north-south??