PDA

View Full Version : Takes your breath away

Gilky
17th Apr 2004, 17:11
We all know of ground based viewpoints from AA road maps, but what's the most breathtaking, DI and alt changing, jaw-achingly beautiful aerial view in the UK? (apart from above your own house that is)

AerBabe
17th Apr 2004, 17:55
The one of a familiar landmark when you're lost? (Apparently...)
The cliffs of Alderney are pretty amazing too. :)

rustle
17th Apr 2004, 17:57
The coastline, wherever that may be, when you coast-in from abroad.

DBChopper
17th Apr 2004, 19:33
Flying the London heliroutes, on a clear morning, when you can clearly see all the Home Counties, Heathrow, Gatwick, the North and South Downs plus all the sights of London (including all those little faces peering up from the London Eye).

Grrrrrrrrreat :D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Apr 2004, 19:50
Overflying Snowdon in the Chippy by only a few hundred feet (check the wind first!!), then a 180 to look back on it, and all the other peaks, and valleys and cwms of that fantastic landscape. Then looking down into the valleys and seeing RAF Valley's Hawks skimming along on the deck like darting little black minnows.

SSD

WorkingHard
17th Apr 2004, 20:27
On a gin clear winters day high above somewhere just north of LBA and being able to see the North Sea and the Irish Sea and all that lies between that is England. SSD, I must try that one though.

javelin
17th Apr 2004, 20:59
Coasting in on a winters night from somewhere down south. You can see everything from Dublin to Brussels to Newcastle - marvellous.......................

I can also see if there is another car in our drive as I fly over :uhoh:

bcfc
17th Apr 2004, 21:25
The Needles, having coasted out from Studland is a bit of a Wow moment.

TheKentishFledgling
18th Apr 2004, 09:55
Scottish Highlands. Stunning.

tKF

Evo
18th Apr 2004, 10:36
Strumble head :ok:

cblinton@blueyonder.
18th Apr 2004, 10:40
The Highlands and Hebrides are awsome, valley flying and around Oban.

NewZealand is also spectacular!!

50 miles south La Rochellehttp://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/91/18/8039118.s.jpg?ch=97&rr=13:27:16

TheKentishFledgling
18th Apr 2004, 11:01
The area around Oban is particularly stunning.

I took these up there last time, and while there not aviation photos as such, they still amaze me....

http://www.eludlow.flyer.co.uk/barra/oban22.jpg

http://www.eludlow.flyer.co.uk/barra/oban10.jpg

tKF

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Apr 2004, 12:00
Pics of a flight in the Chippy around the Lleyn Penninsula, North Wales, including the Snowdon overfly, at:

http://www.cc.flyer.co.uk/lleyn.htm

SSD

mad_jock
18th Apr 2004, 12:09
Old Man of Hoy up in Orkney.

Only to be done when seagulls are away.

Crisp winters morning, low or high alt always stunning.

Also running along the west coast of Scotland some of the Glen runs are incredible some don't even have sheep tracks in them.

Mind you if your donkey goes you are in a whole heap of trouble.

MJ

boomerangben
18th Apr 2004, 13:02
Crystal clear morning flying from Scarborough to Sherburn and the Vale of Pickering was full of fog. The North Yorkshire Moors seemed to be an island in a sea of mist. Stunning.

See some amazing stuff in Scotland as well but too many to say here.

witchdoctor
18th Apr 2004, 13:04
Gotta agree with MJ and tKF - Scotland's west coast is amazing. Lots of potential for instant sphincter tightening though. The views on a good day just can't be matched by anywhere else in the UK, and the water quality and beaches out in the Hebrides have to be seen to be believed- shame about the temperature.

TonyR
18th Apr 2004, 13:15
Try Donegal EIDL, and you get duty free fuel at about €1.00 per litre for the trip home.

Hansard
20th Apr 2004, 12:19
Final approach at night into a big airport. It's lit up like a Christmas tree and I might only be in a C152 but I feel as though I've made it into the "big time"! Sad, I know!!

AfricanEagle
20th Apr 2004, 13:55
Slighlty off topic but ....

the whole of Italy is breathtaking when seen from above.

The Alps, the Appenines, the plains, the coastlines, the lakes and islands.
The big art cities and the little villages.
It is always so varied.

AE

Steevee
20th Apr 2004, 14:31
The Rhone Valley, approaching or leaving the airfield at Sion. We flew part of the way above the clouds with mountain tops sticking up around us - awesome.

steve_moate
20th Apr 2004, 15:55
Blackpool to Oban, taking in the Lake District, and a wonderful chunk of the Scottish west coast and islands. Early morning flight and not a cloud in the sky. Almost as memorable as first solo.:O