PDA

View Full Version : New! XP-360 engine

E1453
17th Apr 2004, 15:27
Superior Air Parts is offering a new four cilinder I/O-360 engine called XP-360. It's based on Lycoming's O-360, with carburated and injected models.

This engine is interesting because it can use unleaded (mogas) or leaded gas. Althought it seems to have conventional magnetos, it's compression ratio is 8,5:1, the same of the old Lycoming's IO-360.

The only difference when running on mogas is that the max CHT is 430F instead of 450F.

How did they get this working without detonation, with a non-digital ignition and the same compression ratio?

One more thing: the factory says this engine can run lean-of-peak!!! They finnaly got it!!!

OBS: unfortunately this engine would be worthless in Brazil, because the mogas here is 75% gasoline and 25% ethanol. The same happens with Rotax, so I have to use avgas in an engine that doesn't need the extra octanes.

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Apr 2004, 16:07
E,

I was also under the impression that this engine is not certified, so can not be used in anything else but experimental (or for the UK Permit) aircraft.

But happy to stand corrected if anyone knows different.

FD

stiknruda
17th Apr 2004, 21:56
FD - you are correct.

However, I believe that certification in the States is underway. Have asked JadeAir (UK agent for Superior) to quote me for an injected, high compression (10:1) with no right mag - want to use Klaus Savier's lightspeed device.

Stik

javelin
18th Apr 2004, 20:25
Just got a TMX 360 from Mattituck with LASAR ignition, excellent service, great price, $21,400 plus $425 to ship. Exchanged @ 1.84/£ and can't wait to fire it up.

A and C
19th Apr 2004, 14:04
I had a long talk with the makers at sun n fun and was impressed with the build quality when I looked at the bits.

My only worry is how will the company stand up to it's first big product liability case in the USA , unfortunatly it will happen sooner or later.