PDA

View Full Version : Wings, Strings & East Midlands ATC?

OrsonCart
16th Apr 2004, 09:27
‘WINGS & STRINGS’ EVENT – DONINGTON PARK

The air show Donington Park on June 12th this year and the evening's concert are, and will continue to be, very closely coordinated with Nottingham East Midlands Airport (NEMA). We can't give definitive guarantees that no NEMA arrivals or departures will over-fly the concert site during the entire evening but we can guarantee that during aircraft displays to music there will be no over flight of the arena by commercial arrivals and departures. We can also assure everyone that a tremendous amount of work is being undertaken between NEMA and ourselves to ensure the evening is a complete success. We are not planning for any aircraft to over fly during the musical parts of the show - all the movements are known even at this early stage and we have produced a deconfliction plan that allows for movements around the concert schedule. There is plenty of scope within this plan for late arrivals and the inevitable late departures, but the worst that may happen is that we will 'hold' the concert for a few minutes to allow an aircraft movement. Very robust plans are in place for these impromptu delays that will provide interesting and highly applicable interludes (using the giant video screens), even if there are no requirements to 'add' these vignettes we plan to use them anyway as they greatly enhance the atmosphere of the evening (and the afternoon). We’ve checked at Donington deliberately to gauge the noise level of departures and arrivals, it's clearly noticeable but we’re convinced wouldn't ruin even 'normal' conversation. Furthermore, the organisation team is extremely experienced in the airshow organisational arena having for many years been involved in the running of airshows such as the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford and the Farnborough International show. We also strongly hope to use a 'depart east, arrive to the west' plan. For example, we are hoping that departures will take place on rwy 09 (i.e.: away from the concert site) and that arrivals will land on 27 thereby also avoiding over flight of Donington Park. Clearly this relies on the weather (in particular a tailwind component of less than 10kts) and the corporation of the airfield operators but it is a summers evening and we’re happy to report that the support from everyone involved is tremendous. The last and probably most telling factor is that we can't mix display aircraft (over the concert site) and NEMA arrivals/departures anyhow, these will HAVE to be deconflicted so once again that means that whilst the music is on and the aircraft are flying there will be no over flights. There are one or two pieces of music with no aircraft flying, and we reserve the right to arrive or depart aircraft in these slots but I'd sincerely hope they won't be needed. In summary, no one can guarantee an evening with no commercial over flights but I'm convinced the music, the atmosphere and the aircraft will combine to produce the most wonderful celebration of flight."

almost professional
16th Apr 2004, 17:23
luckily I have tickets for trent bridge that day!

Spiney Norman
16th Apr 2004, 18:11
A.P.
As soon as I this I wondered what you'd be doing!

Spiney.

CAP670
16th Apr 2004, 21:10
Classical outdoor music concert within 2 miles of EMA but not affected by aircraft noise? What a load of horse manure!

If you like watching aircraft - go buy some tickets.

If you like classical music - go buy a CD player!

:ugh:

PS. Wonder what the CAA makes of this 'arrangement'?

PPS. Wonder what all those NIMBYs living in Castle Donington, Diseworth, Melbourne, etc, etc, will make of it??

almost professional
16th Apr 2004, 21:31
spiney-not daft eh!
see you tomorrow in the new motor!