PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough vs Blackbushe - any advice?

DRJAD
16th Apr 2004, 08:19
I have a business meeting in Farnborough later this month, and am thinking of flying thereto. (PA28 from Sherburn.)

I have not been before to either Farnborough airfield, nor Blackbushe, and am unsure which to opt for. (Farnborough is nearer to my office.)

I'd be grateful for any advice, warnings, information on fees, etc., which anyone might be able to offer. Additionally, are there any quirks as to routing from the North - it looks straightforward enough, but is there anything particularly to avoid?

Flyboy-F33
16th Apr 2004, 08:28
Both airfields are within about 3 miles of each other. Depending on what type you are the landing fees will be very different. A typical SEP will cost you £10 and Blackbushe and about £50 at Farnborough.

Farnborough has an ILS and excellent facilities if the weather turns bad. Blackbushe on the other hand has no published proceedures. I would choose Blackbushe every time unless you need the ILS. However, be warned that the cafe at Blackbushe tends to close at around 3.30pm (dont ask why).

Hope that helps....

GG

DRJAD
16th Apr 2004, 08:40
Flyboy,

That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.

Many thanks.

Wycombe
16th Apr 2004, 12:24
....either way you will get to talk to the nice chaps and chapesses at Farnborough LARS/Approach.

Although these are no procedures at the 'Bushe, there is NDB/DME and if you're IFR Farnborough will vector you towards the field.

Farnborough gets very few SEP visitors as far as I know (apart from those using the 'field for training approaches)