PDA

View Full Version : Landings deteriorated

mooney59
15th Apr 2004, 13:24
My landings had somewhat deteriorated in that I tended to balloon all my landings and then getting the attitude too flat where it nearly became a three pointer.

Next flight went with the instructor.He corrected my mistakes:

Landing attitude was solved by me not holding off long enough during the''hold off'' phase.Another words I was not waiting for the ''sink-back pressure-sink-back pressure routine.

So 'round out' breaks the glide,'hold off' bleeds or washes the airspeed off and back pressure is applied during the sink relative to the sinkrate, i.e how fast the tarmac is rushing up to meet you.

Back in the groove now ...

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2004, 13:30
Back in the groove now ...Good - that's what we like to hear!

Another way of thinking of the 'hold off' phase is to set, and continuously adjust, whatever attitude is necessary to fly level. Don't worry about landing - just worry about flying level, and the aircraft will land itself when it is ready. You will need to focus your attention a little way into the distance (the end of the runway is a good guideline, but that depends partly on how long your runway is) in order to be able to judge accurately whether you are level or not.

As for the fact that your landings deteriorated, I wouldn't worry. One of the best landings I ever did during my training was my first solo. One of the worst was my second solo. These things happen - hopefully less frequently as you gain more experience.

:ok:

FFF
----------------

mooney59
15th Apr 2004, 13:54
Thats exactly what the CFI said''it will land when it is ready''.
Just got impatient during the hold off phase i guess.At least i did not push the CC forward.

You're right FFF, fly straight and level no matter how long it takes before the sink set in, ofcourse i rounded out over the threshold at 65kts!