PDA

View Full Version : Flying something a bit different

tmmorris
15th Apr 2004, 09:15
For my birthday my wife has offered to buy me a flight in something a bit different. The sort of thing I was thinking of would be a vintage taildragger, or maybe a JP... does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do and where? Preferably near to Oxford - I could fly somewhere to do the flight and then fly home, but then my wife/4-month old son couldn't come, so really I want to be able to drive there.

Info: I'm a 150-hour PPL/IMC with no taildragger experience and poor tolerance of aerobatics (3 loops and I'm thinking about what I had for lunch).

Tim

AerBabe
15th Apr 2004, 09:22
How about a visit to Duxford... :ok:

Aileron Roll
15th Apr 2004, 11:52
Always fun to have ago in one of those taildragger/aerobatic things, you don't HAVE to go upside down, just fly it round for abit !

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2004, 12:04
Plenty of places to fly a Tiger Moth from, and they are beautiful aircraft to fly in even if you want to keep the right side up. It's getting close to the right time of year to be flying open-cockpit, too....

FFF
---------------

PS I'm sure you would do this anyway... but if you don't want to go upside down, make sure your instructor knows that before the start of the flight!

BeauMan
15th Apr 2004, 12:15
Probably a bit more than you're looking for at the moment, but Clacton Aero Club do a five hour tailwheel course on a Super Cub over two days. Cost is around the £530 mark, and it's on my "list of things to do once I've got the Skills Test nailed" :D

Boing_737
15th Apr 2004, 12:17
I got a flight in a Tiger Moth for my 30th birthday from the Misses. Superb fun (specially when the donkey stops when you go over the top of a loop:} )

Even straight a level its great 'cos theres so much more vis, just lean your head over the side, and you can see straight down - superb experience.

tmmorris
15th Apr 2004, 13:17
Thanks all, Tiger Moth sounds like a good idea (a friend did recommend Headcorn, but that's too far).

Aerbabe: who at Duxford does this sort of thing? I've only flown in there to visit the museum before. We have friends nearby so it's quite a good idea.

Tim

AerBabe
15th Apr 2004, 13:47
Classic Wings (http://www.goliathres.com/res_website.asp?supplierCode=cla100). There's a Harvard for rent down at Shoreham too (or was it Southend? :O ).

big.al
15th Apr 2004, 15:13
(3 loops and I'm thinking about what I had for lunch).
Never tried aeros, and judging by how I feel after a series of steep turns, probably never will want to. With me it would be a case of "3 loops and I'm likely to see what I had for lunch".
:yuk:

tmmorris
15th Apr 2004, 15:30
Actually I'm much better if I am flying them myself - steep turns are fine if I'm in control, but if an instructor does them I am likely to turn green.

A very nice RAF instructor when I told him this got me to fly a series of increasingly steep turns myself, since he realised I was quite capable of doing it without help, and pattered me through them up to 85deg/full power (this was a Grob Tutor, so it coped easily with that loading!). This did indeed make me feel more in control, and I felt better. My session on wingovers felt much better, though I went green with envy instead when he demonstrated that he could do a wingover at 1G all the way through, not even spilling the coffee...

Tim

Brooklands
15th Apr 2004, 15:38
Tim,

There's a group called Tiger Fly (http://www.tigerfly.org/) at Wycombe who do flights in a Tiger Moth and, I think, a couple of other types. I'm not sure if you actually get to handle the controls or not, and they're pretty pricey.

The flying club at Cambridge still use Tiger Moths, and I flew a Tiger Moth with the Tiger Club (at Headcorn), although both are a bit far from you.

I think that the club at White Waltham have a Piper Cub: I'm not sure what 'flavour', but FFF can probably tell you.

Otherwise it might be worth having a look in the "where to fly" guides, as these may have ads for "interesting" flying.

Brooklands

tmmorris
15th Apr 2004, 15:40
Thanks Brooklands - Classic Wings looked a bit pricey too, so I think I'll try Cambridge. No further than Duxford (not in practice, anyway).

Tim

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2004, 15:45
I think that the club at White Waltham have a Piper Cub: I'm not sure what 'flavour', but FFF can probably tell you.White Waltham have a Super Cub. It's horrendously over-priced (the same as a PA28, and the PA28s are overpriced to start with) and they don't have any true tail-dragger instructors there to show you how to fly it properly. But yes, it is a fun aeroplane to blast around the skies in.

If you want to do tail-dragger flying out of White Waltham, the Cap 10 would be better, but I think that tends to be used for aeros training and won't be particularly fun flown right-way-up. Not sure what the score is with Tiger Moth operations at WW right now, the club itself don't operate any but there is usually someone there offering "trial lessons", and a call to the club should get you the correct phone number.

FFF
-------------

Papa Charlie
15th Apr 2004, 15:53
The Real Flying Company at Shoreham have a Stampe (best looking one I have ever seen), a Chippie and a Pitts....

Aim Far
15th Apr 2004, 16:09
OK it is nowhere near Oxford but how about a floatplane up at Loch Earn? As for the wife, you have to think creatively, lots of very nice hotels up there - make a weekend of it to say thanks for the present.

MLS-12D
15th Apr 2004, 16:48
I would say choose the Tiger over the Harvard. You can try your hand (and feet!) at flying the Tiger and be able to safely experiment a bit, but as a 150 hr PPL in a Harvard, you'll either be no more than a passenger, or you'll be completely overwhelmed and it will not be a very fun flight.

Boing_737
15th Apr 2004, 17:11
RE: Tigerfly mentioned above. Thats who I went with, and I explained that I was doing my PPL. They bunged the stick in and let me have a bit of a pole around - cool. Nice tuition on secondary effects of controls there I think. Only downside is that you can hear the pilot, but cannot talk back (no mike), I guess so that the punters don't interrupt the RT.

Whirlybird
15th Apr 2004, 17:21
A bit more expensive, but if you really want something different, why not try a helicopter?

Lots more fun than any of these f/w things anyway, wherever they put the little wheel. :D

QNH 1013
15th Apr 2004, 17:27
Tiger Moth flights are great fun, and if you have a PPL you will do most of the flying. However, if you've not flown in one before, I suggest a 20 min flight for the first time. Certainly don't book anything over 30 mins for the first time. P.M me for contact details of White Waltham Tiger Moth Flights, the season is just starting. Just got back from shaking the cobwebs off a Tiger.
I would be rather worried if I couldn't hear the customer's questions and all "our" Tigers have intercoms and CVRs.

yakker
15th Apr 2004, 18:30
Tiger Moth at Northants School of Flying

Finals19
15th Apr 2004, 20:20
Tiger Moths out of White Waltham for sure. Also Alan Cassidy has a CAP and a Pitts S2 over there if you are up for something a bit sportier....40mins from Oxford.

Personally I am a cuban, hammerhead, roll and loop man....best fun you can have with your clothes on........:ok: ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Apr 2004, 21:15
Sorry, Whirls, but those eggbeater thingies don't like going upside down, so by definition can't be as much fun as some of the aeroplanes mentioned here:)

Tiger Moth is good fun with bags of 'character', but it's not a good handling aeroplane, with terrible ailerons and poor control co-ordination. But everyone should fly one at least once. Try a Stampe - lovely aeroplane - everything the Tiger should have been.

Instead of the Harvard, try a Yak 52. More capable, and far cheaper (but lacks the 'history'). Skytrace at Wolverhampton (Gennedy Elfimov - Mr Yak - I can highly reccomend, having had some aeros instruction from him in our '52).

Best would have to be the Spitfire. I'd just love to fly one, but you're talking big bucks for one of those.

SSD

Heliport
15th Apr 2004, 21:20
SSD

tmmorris said, in his first post, he has: "poor tolerance of aerobatics (3 loops and I'm thinking about what I had for lunch). when anyone else flies aeros and his own attempts at aeros are limited to being talked through steep turns and wing-overs. Some of the other a/c mentioned are good fun for an aeros enthusiast but not much point if you're not.
I've never yet met a fixed-wing pilot who hasn't enjoyed the experience of a helicopter flight, even if they haven't wanted to take up flying helicopters themselves. It certainly qualifies as 'flying something a bit different.'

astir 8
16th Apr 2004, 07:24
Try gliding - it's different! - Oxford Gliding Club, Weston on the Green, Aquila Gliding Club, Hinton in the Hedges, or Shenington (Banbury).

Bicester - not sure of their current status

Lowtimer
16th Apr 2004, 07:43
It's getting close to the right time of year to be flying open-cockpit, too....

Harrumph... Really, FFF, I flew the Northants School of Flying's Tiger, at Sywell, during both January and February and if it's not actually raining it's perfectly pleasant for 30 minutes or so providing you're properly wrapped up. (Also it's a particularly nice Tiger with a more powerful Chipmunk engine so it goes rather well).

I think the assertion that a 150hr PPL can be no more than a passenger in the T-6 is rather pessimistic. True, if you're not already tailwheel qualified you might not be doing takeoffs and landings, but there's no reason why you couldn't do some general handling. If the instructor is any good, you could learn a lot. I agree, however, that if you've not flown anything tandem and tailwheely before, a Moth, Cub or Chipmunk is as good a starting point as any. Another nice taildragger is the Super Decathlon, I think there's one at Tatenhill, which is not too far fom Oxford.

Whirlybird
16th Apr 2004, 08:34
Try a gyroplane...also known as gyros, autogyros, gyrocopters etc. Different from either f/w aircraft or helicopters, in fact a bit like a combination of the two. And tremendous fun. I think I have a total of about two hours over three flights in two different types, and considered doing more. About the same price as the cheaper f/w aircraft too.:ok: Main snag is lack of availability - only about 7 schools in the country. Have a look at the British Rotorcraft Association's website for details, airfields, instructors etc (anyone know the URL?).

It's up to you, but if you want something different, I'd go DIFFERENT - ie, helicopters, gyros, seaplanes, balloons, flexwing microlights or possibly gliders. Tigers and cubs are lovely, but apart from giving you an inferiority complex about your takeoffs and landings, I don't think you'll find tailwheel aircraft all that different - I didn't.

Brooklands
16th Apr 2004, 12:49
Tim,

I should have though of this yesterday, but the BA flying club at Wycombe have a Chipmunk, and its something every pilot should try at least once in their flying lifetime (I'm sure SSD would agree with that :) ). I haven't flown it 'cos I fly with the "other mob" at Wycombe.

Brooklands

flyingfemme
16th Apr 2004, 18:18
Tiger Airways (http://www.tigerairways.co.uk/) at Staverton are an easy drive from Oxford.

360BakTrak
16th Apr 2004, 19:43
Tiger Airways as flyingfemme says above......you can get yer greasy mits on a Stampe or Boeing Stearman:ok:

Snakecharmer
16th Apr 2004, 20:01
FFF - that'll be our CAP10 you're talking about! Yes - used for aeros training, but its certainly plenty of fun the right way up as well - that'll be why I took the gf to Cannes on holiday in it last September!

CAP10 certainly a great all round machine - but I would say that - Tiger Moths also available at White Waltham through Avia Special Ltd ... but, now for something really interesting... once we've got the An-2 back, PPLs will be able to get dual on it under the auspices of the An-2 Club.

Feel free to pm me on any of the above.

AerBabe
17th Apr 2004, 12:22
Have to agree with Lowtimer that open cockpit flying should not be restricted to the summer. I had my first flight in a microlight in the first week of March and, while it was a bit cold, it was nothing that appropriate clothing couldn't sort out.

Back on topic, does a Tiger really count as something a bit different? Yes, they're not your usual training a/c, but if you really want something your mates down the flying club don't have in their logbook, try a harvard or stearman, or even a gyrothingummy. Can't fault the suggestion of a Chipmunk flight though. :O

Ooh, just had a thought: how about the AN2 at Wellesbourne? I'm sure you could find some willing volunteers to make up numbers. :ok:

vintage ATCO
17th Apr 2004, 12:50
For Tiger Moth rides the de Havilland Moth Club will be doing their Charity Weekend at Old Warden 12/13 June. £55 and everything goes to charity. I'll post more info nearer the time in a separate thread so as not to hijack this one (too much! :cool: )

FNG
17th Apr 2004, 14:26
At Waltham, Avia Special and one other outfit do Tiger Moth flights, which can be as hands on as you like, with aeros optional. Flying a Moth treaches you the true meaning of adverse yaw. There are two Cap 10s for aeros or general jollies. Those who feel timid about aeros ought to try some.

I agree with FFF that the Club's own Supercub is overprticed, but there is a real taildragger instructor to fly it with: Ian Marshall (he also flies the Cap).

At Booker, there is a Chipmunk. At Oxford itself, no taildraggers that I know of, but there is a Slingsby.

eharding
18th Apr 2004, 20:24
Snakecharmer - " but, now for something really interesting... once we've got the An-2 back, PPLs will be able to get dual on it under the auspices of the An-2 Club."....aye, well, it says here the AN2 was used for crop-dusting, amongst other things - now, when you keep referring to my Cap10 handling as "agricultural", does this mean you think I'd be good as a crop-duster?...or..er...did you mean something else? :p

Ed.

tmmorris
19th Apr 2004, 08:12
Thanks all for myriad suggestions. For the moment I think I'll go with a Tiger Moth at WW - unless that fails to work out. Autogyro sounds fun, though - it would be a leap of faith as although intellectually I understand how they fly, I don't really believe it in my heart...!

Tim