PDA

View Full Version : PPL Skills Test

The Farmer
15th Apr 2004, 08:48
Well I'm nearly there now. All exams passed, incl. R/T, and am planning a mock skills test with one of my instructors before the real thing. I was wondering if anyone had any interesting stories or advice concerning the PPL skills test that might prove to be of note/help etcetera etcetera etcetera [best Yul Brynner imp.]

Moo moo.

Flock1
15th Apr 2004, 09:23
I think the best advice I was given, was not to give up hope. Even if you think it's gone wrong, keep on going.

On my skills test, I did the Nav first, and because the visibility was a bit on the marginal side, I soon became unsure of my position. I couldn't find the destination waypoint, and thought I'd failed. I told the examiner so. He gave me some hints, and so I climbed and did a few orbits, and hey presto, there it was! But I still thought I'd failed, and gave up hope (ignoring the advice I'd been given) but I did calm down significantly.

I made a bit of a mess-up in the handling section too. It took me ages to achieve slow flight, but I got there in the end. Everything else went okay, including the dreaded PFL.

I passed. Not partially, but fully.

The examiner told me that my nav skills were fine, and that he gave me the benefit of the doubt because of the por vis. He told me that my landings were really good, which, I was informed, was a good thing, because "half the battle with flying was getting the bloody thing back down."

One thing that I remember though, was that I was worried about my walk around checks. I was scared in case I missed anything out. But the examiner didn't even watch me. He sent me out, whilst he made a phone call.

Just remember, the examiner is not out to fail you, he (or she) is there to check that you're a safe pilot in good weather.

Good luck!

Flock

Boing_737
15th Apr 2004, 10:17
I had a similar experience to the above. From what I have heard from others, much the same thing, so I guess the best advice is relax and go with the flow - after all, you're probably wanting to do this as a hobby so you may as well enjoy it.

I am convinced that examiners pile on the pressure to see how you react to make sure you don't flip out - would anyone like to comment?

I did both parts of the test together, and was absolutely drained at the end, so I would be inclined to say split it into two. Also, get your nav planning down pat, as you only get an hour to plan a route that you've never seen before. Don't forget to ask the examiner how much they weigh before doing your weight and balance as well.

Cheers and good luck with your test.

FlyFreeWbe
15th Apr 2004, 10:20
Im not far behind the farmer meself, just doing the navigation thing right now, but the thought of the skills test coming up so fast is kinda daunting. Hopefully it goes as well as my driving test (relaxed, easygoing, NOT stressful) and its over before I get brain drain.
Just did a search Farmer and came up with this thread: Skill Test!!!!!!!!! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102278&highlight=PPL+skills+test) Lots of useful info, unfortunately BRL's search isn't working for me..

Just remember, the examiner is not out to fail you, he (or she) is there to check that you're a safe pilot in good weather. Thanks for that Flock1

At school, teachers always used to mark you down, and put more than the usual amount of pressure on you so that when the exam came, you wouldnt feel so bad. Driving instructors try and distract you while youre on a test to see if you can cope with all your mates chatting away at you in your ear while your driving down pub. Flight examiners ... maybe, but in those circumstances it would be awfully mean to try and 'break' the driver at 3000'? I guess it makes sense to know that youre a competent pilot and that you won't crack if you get pressured.

Best of Luck! :ok:

FFW

DRJAD
15th Apr 2004, 10:41
Do the searches, you'll get lots of good advice (and numerous anecdotes) that way.

Mine was about two hours, with all of it being enjoyable. Out of many points that can be made, I'd offer these to start with, in no particular order:

i. Make sure, in prior practice, that you can fly reasonably accurately in terms of heading and height. Trim the aircraft properly.

ii. Pre-think your RT, obviously in generic terms, amongst other things thinking of leaving and rejoining the traffic pattern at your home airfield, are you likely to want a FIS or a RIS enroute, do you have to ask for zone transit (incl. what might you do if clearance is delayed), do you need to cross or enter any MATZes, PAN call and MAYDAY call (ready for PFLs). Ensure you are clear about the difference between ATC, AFIS, and A/G services.

iii. Pre-think how you fly the rejoin at your home airfield.

iv. Think through a passenger brief, so that you are comfortable giving it.

v. Pack your flight equipment the night before, and check again on the day of the test.

vi. Talk through any changes/corrections of heading/height, etc., as you are flying - to make sure the examiner gives you credit for your good decisions.

vii. Keep a good lookout. When doing the chartwork for your diversion, do one thing and look out, then the next chart action, and look out. (And keep an eye on the instruments, so that you do not get into unusual flight attitudes.)

viii. Make sure you know critical data, for example, VNE, VA, VFE, etc., for your aircraft.

ix. Sort out in your mind how you demonstrate slow flight.

x. When given a QFE or QNH which you will need to fly (e.g. when entering a control zone), set it on the altimeter as you are told it. Then read it back from the subscale. If this is impossible, write it down! Don't trust to memory if you can avoid it. However, as with all RT, remember that you can ask the controller/FISO/AG operator to 'say again' anything you didn't catch.

xi. Enjoy it all.

dublinpilot
15th Apr 2004, 10:50
I whole heartly agree with the advise not to give up.

You WILL make at least one mistake and probably more. We all have, and the examiner will expect you to. So when you make it, don't give up. Fix it and keep going.

Best of luck.:ok:

montster
15th Apr 2004, 11:13
Do a mock test with your FI, or even better a different FI. I was sooo nervous before my mock skills, I think I'd almost run out of nerves by the time I reached the actual test! I was nervous before the test, but by the time I was taxiing the plane I felt OK.

You will make mistakes. If it's important, tell the instructor - I messed up my VOR position fix and told him it was rubbish and re-did it. If you point out your mistakes the examiner knows you know what you're doing. He will spot if you wander into class D for example, so rather than pretending it's not happening, tell him and tell him what you plan to do about it.

I don't think examiners try to pile on the pressure - mine "read" a magazine for most of the flight!

At the end of the test my examiner said "OK, I don't think you will kill your mother." That's what it's all about - are you safe to fly, not are you a perfect pilot.

Andy_R
15th Apr 2004, 11:21
I've got mine tomorrow. Nerves are already setting in, spent most of last night awake going through the checks in my head :O

What margin of error are you allowed before you fail? I understand the logic behind correcting any mistakes but how big a mistake do you have to make to get the thumbs down?

BEagle
15th Apr 2004, 11:23
As an Examiner, I certainly do NOT 'pile on the pressure'!

The old "You do the walk round whilst I make a quick phone call" wheeze is a way of getting you to relax. I might watch from a distance though!

If you were perfect, there'd be no need for a test. You're good enough to be safe, we just need to see it.

On the first nav leg, your Examiner will be an intelligent passenger. On the second you'll get the diversion. Thereafter he/she should look after all the navigation and positioning requirements until you are required to 'take us back for some circuits'. But you'll know where you are then.

Normally takes about 2 1/2 hours. Don't forget 'Check One' - use the bathroom before the flight!

Best of luck to you all - but in reality you won't need any luck as there'll be nothing new for you in the test.

Evo
15th Apr 2004, 11:32
I whole heartly agree with the advise not to give up.

Me too. I nearly failed mine within 10 minutes of the start - took off, headed towards the Farnborough MATZ ... and forgot to ask for a crossing. Remembered just before I got there, told the examiner that I had messed up, and I was going to orbit while I arranged transit. Once it was all sorted I worked out new ETAs etc. and carried on. Passed. :)

mazzy1026
15th Apr 2004, 12:02
I aint anywhere near mine yet guys so apologies first but I remember my driving instructor once telling me he had a chap, whilst taking his test, verbally went through every single thing he did - not only to help himself remember, but also to show the examiner what he was doing. The bad point of this is that if you make a mistake you are dropping yourself in it !

Good luck mate - sure you will do fine.

Maz :ok:

Boing_737
15th Apr 2004, 12:10
BEagle,
Hmmmm, my examiner did the walk round with me and asked lots of questions, and also, turned the radio down during the flight to yammer in my ear, and then had a go 'cos I missed a call from Farnborough.....

Still passed though, but I was sweating like a peeg when I had finished and felt highly stressed out.

P.S. Is this you:

http://www.timandmel.eclipse.co.uk/Beagles_can_fly.JPG

dublinpilot
15th Apr 2004, 12:42
Geez.....now even the dogs have to wear hi-vis vests???

Penguina
15th Apr 2004, 13:10
Having done mine fairly recently, I would say that it helps to remember to do a few little things that give the right impression earlier on. I'm not saying that cleaning the windscreen, making sure the examiner sees you obtaining NOTAMs or asking him to test his brakes will get you an automatic pass if you're an unsafe pilot, just that it sets a good tone for the test. Also it helps you relax into the role of pilot and makes you less likely to do something daft because you're aware of being an 'examinee'.

I would also recommend practising a few circuits before s/he arrives so that you can get used to the conditions and the problems they present. There's never a perfect day; for me it was totally windless and hot; great for diversions but, despite spending 30 minutes practising them, I had to go around from my first attempt at a flapless landing. Luckily I told him exactly what the problem was and got it right the second time.

Finally, I got some hot tips off students who'd recently done it about what the examiner's latest foibles were - favourite routes, maveuvre's etc. which definitely came in handy. :) (Disclaimer - though of course you can never be certain...!)

Good luck - I really enjoyed mine in the end!

BEagle
15th Apr 2004, 15:44
Boing_737 - an Examiner who did that to you needs his ideas changing!

Nope - not the low-flying canine! My nom-de-PPRuNe comes from a corruption of Bald and Eagle, not a little woofer!

eharding
15th Apr 2004, 17:00
Upgrading from an NPPL to a JAR-PPL, will have to re-do skills
test sometime in the next few weeks - reckon it will be more
nerve-wracking second time round!...if I fail, do I have to hand
back the NPPL in disgrace?

BEagle
15th Apr 2004, 19:28
No - that would just mean that you hadn't quite made the required standard for the JAR-FCL PPL. But it should really only be a formality to appease the JAA; no lower standards are accepted for the NPPL NST and GST than for the JAR-FCL PPL Skill Test. It's just that there are a few extra items to cover for the JAR test (e.g. position fixing by use of radio navigation aids). You should find it an utter breeze!

DRJAD
16th Apr 2004, 15:10
eharding,

I did the same upgrade 12 months ago.

Don't worry about it, presumably you've done some flying post NPPL, so you should have consolidated your skills a bit more, and not had time to get into bad habits.

Relax into it, and it will be fine.

eharding
16th Apr 2004, 17:41
Thanks for the votes of confidence....slightly off topic, but by
co-incidence I got a reply from the CAA today regarding a
query I made to them a few weeks back regarding the NPPL
->JAR PPL upgrade - the reason I wanted to upgrade was
to do an IMC rating, and since getting my Class 2 medical
a month or so ago I've done about 10 hours IMC training
whilst waiting arranging the JAR cross-country and skills test -
I asked them about the 15 hours minimum IMC training criteria
listed in LASORS as being "following PPL issue" - was
this a JAR PPL, or would an NPPL do? - the point being that
if I do my skills test next week, at the current rate of licence
issue it could be a couple of months before the JAR-PPL arrives,
(during which time I'd like to get on with some more IMC
training, with an expectation of at least another 10 hours
or so), then I would *still* have to fly another 15 hours IMC training
once the JAR-PPL arrives - meaning a total of about
35 hours instruction...which isn't cheap. The bad news from
the CAA clarifying the wording in LASORS is that by "PPL" they
mean "JAR PPL(A)"...and that by implication any IMC training
done whilst holding an NPPL (with an expectation of upgrading
to a JAR PPL) doesn't count towards the 15 hours minima. B*gger.
So I'll be knocking the IMC training on the head for a bit...unless,
does anybody know, is it still possible to turn up at the CAA offices in
Gatwick at some ungodly hour in the morning and get the JAR PPL paperwork done
on the day?

Anyway....good luck to all those on the thread about to do the skills test...cheers...

Ed.

(Edited to say I went back and had another look at LASORS....
and the *total* time required after grant of a JAR PPL is *25*
hours...so maybe I'll knock off flying completely until the
JAR PPL arrives...double b*gger).

The Farmer
18th Apr 2004, 11:09
Thanks to all for your replies - apols for delay but small problem with chuffing PC and internet connection.

All good advice and will post once done and [hopefully] passed.

Thanks for that link FlyFreeWbe - I'll have a look right now!

Moo moo and bless you all.

Arclite01
18th Apr 2004, 19:30
Trying to remember some stuff.....Oh yeah

Weight and Balance check is another classic - based on mine we were too heavy to go.............A foible of my aeroplane was if you go full of fuel you are out of limits - but by the time you've taxied etc you are back in limits (just)......... Good trick eh !!

Check the weather, METARS and stuff

Check NOTAMS

Always err on the side of caution and safety in all situations - you will rarely be wrong.......

NAV will be straightforward as you are mainly in areas you should know.

Keep a good lookout.............

Do those FREDA checks............

MAYDAY calls have to be accurate (but not perfect), other RT had to be adequate..........

But above all enjoy. Usually when justifying a decision my examiner used to say ' What would you do if I wasn't here ? - you will be a licenced pilot soon so think and act like one would......'

I know I enjoyed mine and learned a lot.....

Arc