PDA

View Full Version : Careful with those flaps!!!

d192049d
14th Apr 2004, 12:56
The scene

Circuits in a C172, not flown for 30 days so a little rusty. Veering crosswind (10knots), one minute its a headwind the next its on the tail.

Because of the crosswind decide to approach with two stages of flap (the mind thinks its three) Alls well until after touchdown, it was even a good one wheeler (wing down approach), then it all went to hell in a hand basket. The aircraft bounced / lifted and started to move to the right of the runway, thank god for 46 metres.

Nothing for it but full power to go-around. In my haste to move from drag flap (told you my mind thinks I have full flap) I retracted "ALL" !!!!!. As my approach had been on speed at 65knots I still had 55 - 60 at the bounce so it is marginal but flyable, but boy does she want to sink.

1, The lesson's dont do crosswind circuits without an instructor when you are rusty!
2, Remind yourself of the flap setting before you go over the fence + what you are going to do if it bounces
3, Be careful with the flap lever (cessna) when removing the "drag flap". The gates get worn over time and it is very easy to miss the required setting, especially when you are looking out the window!

I learnt a bit, hope fellow Cessna drivers do too.

Dewdrop
14th Apr 2004, 13:02
D1. She must have been an old bird to have a flap lever, I think they went electric about 1967? I agree though, in those circumstances they do want to sink. Where were you landing ?

Final 3 Greens
14th Apr 2004, 13:06
Dewdrop

Maybe 'flap lever' means the selector switch, which is indeed gated on later models of the 172.

d192049d
14th Apr 2004, 13:19
Ok it its a switch!!

East Midlands was the field

AfricanEagle
14th Apr 2004, 13:20
For what its worth ...

Normally with crosswinds of more than 5-6 knots I tend to use only the first stage of flaps for landing (except for very short runways): I tend to "feel" I have more control.

And yes, it is easy to miss the required flap setting :\

AE

Penguina
14th Apr 2004, 16:14
I know, they're pesky little sods, aren't they? Slipping up two stages cheekily when you're really not in the mood/stage of flight for that kind of lark... :uhoh: