PDA

View Full Version : Air Shows in Cheshire 2004

marts
14th Apr 2004, 09:52
I'm looking for airshows in the Cheshire area, but searching google for "air show" +cheshire +2004 brings up nothing useful.

Apart from Southport, are there any other air shows in or around the Cheshire area?

Thanks
Martin

proplover
14th Apr 2004, 10:33
Sadly the march of time and vastly increased costs (plus the UK weather) has seen the demise of most of the other airshows around the Chesire area, most notably Woodford. The only other (mini) show which may or may not occur this year (havent found mention of it yet) is on the Wirrel - Hoylake Lifeboat Day usually around the end of August (heard a rumour that the RAF werent happy about the organisation as aircraft were booked individually and thet there was no approved Display Director with the usual and expected backup team).
The Families Day at Airbus Chester will be somewhat muted affair this year as due to the siting of the new factory, it precludes any air displays and is limited to statics and a couple of flypasts. I think your next best bet, yes I know its Shropshire, will be Cosford.
Most of the small "county" size shows have all but disapered under a welter of paperwork, insurance costs, police costs, H&S issues and thats before you get to aircraft costs.
Sadly I can only see other shows, including well known shows disapearing over the next few years as the Insurance costs bite deeper, H&S and the NIMBYS gain strength. eg friend of mine who supplies acts for carnivals and fairs has been told that for a Punch & Judy act he now has to supply a H&S statement, a Risk Assessement for the venue and have £5m of insurance liability cover - hows that!!