PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behaviour

the atco in the hat
13th Apr 2004, 21:47
Hi All,
I was just wondering what the strangest behaviour people have witnessed from their colleagues in ATC. I used to work with one who searched for golf balls in his bare feet on the airfield whilst walking his dog.......and then of course there is nik nak .......

TAITH

chiglet
14th Apr 2004, 00:00
errrm,
Is that "Of Course" or "Off Course"?
watp,iktch

Goldfish Jack
14th Apr 2004, 04:21
How about trying to floss your teeth using your big toe nail instead of dental floss??

Jerricho
14th Apr 2004, 04:38
A certain 'ACE' ex-Heathrow director was well known for some of the football chants he would start at the console. As well as believing it was bad luck to control while wearing a watch.

Timothy
14th Apr 2004, 07:30
it was bad luck to control while wearing a watchI've always assumed from EATs, Slots, lengths of holds, and how long "I'll get back to you in a minute" actually takes, that not only do ATCOs not wear watches, but have never really had the concept of time explained in full :}

Or was that supposed to read "it was bad luck to control while wearing 'A' Watch"?

Timothy

tobzalp
14th Apr 2004, 07:43
I know an ex Heathrow ATC who always stands side on in pictures so that you can see the brand of his shoes.......

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2004, 08:41
Nobody's mentioned Ace's "commentaries" on a/c movements from the 7th floor balcony using a megaphone! And how about his train announcements?

I used to work with a guy who's left leg started "jumping" when he worked an inbound.. and his right leg when he worked an outbound - I kid you not!

Seeing Ted W with his knitting machine clamped to the radar display in Heathrow Approch during a night duty was something too... (That's the old 6th floor Approach Room - the REAL place; not the poncy LTCC stuff!)

And Terry W's twinkling Christmas lights on his headest used to enliven the evenings when he was on the lights....

Someone might recall some of us riding TQ's Penny Farthing bike round the 6th floor Approach Room.......

And Stevie B's radio-controlled goose?

And Geoff W's "lighter-than-air" model flying round Aerodrome Control...

And all and all...... but of course we're all bonkers.

Bren

Barnaby the Bear
14th Apr 2004, 09:29
According to my colleagues, my behaviour is permanantly strange. :}
Crazy me.......
Although I do know someone who is late for work everyday and has an excuse everyday.........Strange that. :rolleyes:

ETOPS
14th Apr 2004, 09:55
Please stop Guys - you're frightening me........

the atco in the hat
14th Apr 2004, 12:11
top replies chaps......the guy who searched out golf balls once ate a frying pan full of mouldy sprouts live on local radio whilst the satco attempted to respond to an intervierwer during a "day in the life of air traffic " type broadcast......

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2004, 14:02
ETOPS.. Don't worry, you're safe as houses; we're only as mad as aircrew..

Anyone remember Eric X and the moths?? This Heathrow Watch Sup had a thing about catching moths. One new ATCA met him for the first time on a night shift and Eric shook her hand and welcomed her - and moths poured out of his mouth. The girl ran away and was never seen again. (I'd like someone to confirm this story please).

Jerricho
14th Apr 2004, 14:25
Ah Bren, me thinks yourself is famous for joining in with ACE's antics. Him on one side, you on the other........Number 2 wouldn't have a chance cause he would be laughing so hard!

And Timothy, take it as gospel that a 'Tower Minute' is the longest single unit of time in the world:

"I've got a departure in one minute............."

(7 'real-word minutes later)

"Yeah, he's rolling now............"

BOAC
14th Apr 2004, 16:28
HD
ETOPS.. Don't worry, you're safe as houses; we're only as mad as aircrew

That's probably why he's worried:D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2004, 18:05
J - ask the London TMA guys and gals how long a Heathrow Tower minute is...

Gonzo
14th Apr 2004, 18:12
I'm sure the Biggin TMA sector guys and girls would say that Heathrow tower takes three minutes to be 121 seconds.........

His dudeness
14th Apr 2004, 18:23
happened many years ago during a night shift in a german radar room:
a then young atco had just bought a then new Honda Bolīd Or 900 cc motorbike. One of the rest bet, he wouldnīt be able to bring it up with the lift and drive around the ASR-4 screens in the radar room. Well, he was able and spend the rest of the night shift using lighterfuel rubbing the black streaks of rubber off the floor.
By morning, the hole radar crew was dizzy...