PDA

View Full Version : Staying Fit

Monocock
13th Apr 2004, 20:50
I know some of you will recommend this be transferred to JB but I believe it is a relevant question.....

What do Private Flying PPRuNers do to stay fit? Pilots are generally not a lazy or slothenly bunch so do we take physical health as seriously as we should?

I personally cycle five times a week after work and I believe that is enough to keep the cardiac wolf from my door.

I can't believe that the UK's reputation of burger munchers stretches into this forum..............can it?:uhoh:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Apr 2004, 21:05
How far do you cycle? I used to do 16 miles a day for many years but almost met untimely death at the hands on Voloman so many times that I was headed to be a fit but flat corpse. So I stopped while I was still extant. And though I was fitter, it didn't lose me any weight.

It amazed me that people would say how foolish and unthinking of my (then) young family I was to fly old aeroplanes since it was so dangerous, yet didn't register the real threat to my life - cycling among the **** who are ill qualified to be in charge of a wasing machine, let alone a couple of tons of rusty metal travelling at speed, when delicate human flesh and bone are in the vicinity.

SSD

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2004, 21:39
1½ hours of Ju-Jitsu twice a week, and occasionally climb a few mountains when I can get away.

Not as much as I used to do, but better than nothing and good for the soul - the combination of full physical and mental attention is not unlike flying, although you end up with a few more bruises.

Interestingly my sensei flies a Yak-52, although we only met through martial arts. What that tells you I'm not sure.

G

Papa Charlie
13th Apr 2004, 21:43
Diet, diet and diet one week before my medical !:hmm:

ToryBoy
13th Apr 2004, 21:43
Hey!!!

Another Private Flyin' Biker!!

Glad there's more than one of us M.....

R u a roady or a MTB?

TB

"When the wind blue"

trevelyan
13th Apr 2004, 21:49
never realy worried about it much. I packed up fags 4 years ago and put on a few stone but i was built like a racing snake so it want a problem.

Ive got my Class 1 at Gatwick next week, so ive been out running tonight and had a nice salad for my tea - not gonna make a jot of difference probably, but it makes me feel better!

:)

Boing_737
14th Apr 2004, 08:29
Nowt at the mo, 'cos I broke my foot 10 weeks ago:{ and now I've got to revalidate my licence (didn't quite manage the 12 hours required this year).

BUT, usually circuit training once or twice a week. Seems to be enough for the moment, works up a good sweat and gets the heart working.

sunday driver
14th Apr 2004, 08:54
Anything which gets you panting for 1/2 hour, three times a week (EVERY week that is, and not just the week before the medical) will keep the circulation in good order.

Plenty of room for interpretation there.

Convenience is a key issue - if I have to drive to the pool / gym, pay, get changed, do the stuff, shower, get changed, drive home, it adds another hour on to the 1/2 hour's panting.

Cos I live in the back of beyond, cycling or running in the local woods and paths is fave. Running is much harder work.

Result - Arnie Schwarzenegger from the waist down, everything else stick insect.

sd

High Wing Drifter
14th Apr 2004, 09:56
Once the Summer arrives I try to cycle about 60 miles a week (building up slowly of course). In the Winter I do nowt. Generally I try to stick to vegitarian only lunches and avoid sandwiches, mayonaise and the like. Limit myself to two cups of char a day. Thus my weight fluctuates between 11.5 stone in the Summer and 12.5 in the Winter.

Also, my Class 1 renewal is late September so I am usually by that time slim, fit and healthy. Thank goodness it isn't in early April :uhoh:

I agree with Sunday Driver. If you are starting out, the thing to remember about exercise is that it is not how out of breath you are but how you are using your energy that determines how benificial it is. Cycling is superb for aerobic fat burning and cardio-vascular improving because of its lower intensisty and typically longer durations (1 hour a ride for example) and a good way to get started. Whereas running, although more tiring, actually burns more glycogen than fat due to its higher intensity and generally shorter durations (more anarobic), be careful to limit your duration when starting out. If you spend two weeks running your nuts off, you may end up in worse shape than when you started. If you have a medical soon, then this will show itself as a high resting heart rate. It is very important to build up slowly, adding to the duration each week and varying the intensity so that you don't just knacker yourself out all the time.

bcfc
14th Apr 2004, 10:04
Dodging salads keeps me pretty fit. :}

FNG
14th Apr 2004, 10:53
Who needs a stairmaster? Try taxiing a Cap 10 in a crosswind. Thunder thighs guaranteed.

AerBabe
14th Apr 2004, 11:47
FNG - that confused me for a minute; I was thinking of a StairLift. :O

I walk fairly briskly round town for at least 20 minutes most lunchtimes, plus several miles evenings/weekends when I can. Once every six weeks or so I head off to the hills with a friend & walk/climb 35 - 40 miles. Ouch.

Penguina
14th Apr 2004, 12:16
Shaggy Sheep Driver - I agree. As a seasoned commuter cyclist in London, I know about this problem all right and have excellent survival instincts on the road! (Ah dear, seems I have something in common with a Tory... :eek: ;) )

Live 7 miles from work, but not doing that at the moment due to resting up for the marathon.

I exercise because I like it, not to be thin (just as well!) or to be a better pilot, though I wish I had my cycling hours in an aeroplane instead. I'd be an ace! :rolleyes:

mazzy1026
14th Apr 2004, 12:17
If you spend two weeks running your nuts off, you may end up in worse shape than when you started.

Yes I agree - however I hate cycling (well dont hate it, but prefer running) so what I do is a nice, slow jog (just plod along) that way I can pretty much run as far as I like without ending up like a vegetable at the end. I have always been of the opinion that it doesnt matter how FAR you go, but how LONG (in time) that you do it for. For example, rather than run for 10 mins, why not slow down and extend it to 20 ?

Does this sound good peeps?

Maz :ok:

ToryBoy
14th Apr 2004, 12:58
Using that theory, why not run on the spot? You won't even have to go out of the fron door.........:}

Tiger_ Moth
14th Apr 2004, 14:18
I'm a fitness freak. I do a 2 mile run at a fast pace every day, sometimes 5 miles. I also do lots of strength training every day with my own weights (it's so much cheaper than gym membership in the long run).

Kingy
14th Apr 2004, 14:46
Man, with my stable of dodgy, hard to start aircraft, upper body fitness is guarenteed! shifting a few tons of sound equipment around 3 or 4 times a week seems to help too...

Kingy

BEagle
14th Apr 2004, 14:50
I find a heavier glass helps!

Aircrew medical (A1 G1 Z1 in the mob, JAR Class 1 since) held since 1966 - and fully paid up member of Athletics Anonymous. If you get the urge to commit jockstrappery, ring a mate who will talk you out of it and take you for a beer.....

Saab Dastard
14th Apr 2004, 19:02
I used to play football, until last summer when I:

Tore a hamstring, then

Tore a calf muscle, then

Got shin splints and

Damaged one of my achilles tendons.

So thought I'd just concentrate on swimming (1 KM, 3 times a week) and b:mad:er me if I haven't ricked my back today.:sad:

If I were a horse I'd have been put down by now:(

So I'll try tiddly winks (and red wine for the circulation)

SD

trevelyan
14th Apr 2004, 19:07
I try to stick to vegitarian only lunches

me too, today for example I had three pints of lager and a cheese and onion toastie...

Tore a hamstring, then
Tore a calf muscle, then
Got shin splints and
Damaged one of my achilles tendons.

Didnt you ask the manager if you could come off?

Nice to see you at EGHR last week, I trust Evo ensured you were suitably fed....

Trevelyan

TheKentishFledgling
14th Apr 2004, 19:30
Try and run every other day (except when on holiday!) for about half an hour.

Play rugby twice a week in the season.

Gym whenever I can, for strength over fitness - can't stand running indoors!

Used to cycle but since knee op it's been too painful :(

tKF

Morgo
14th Apr 2004, 20:49
Now that the days are longer and weather is improving and getting warmer I will recommence my daily cycle ride to the closest Tube station (5.5 miles away along the Thames). Otherwise all the exercise I get is a mile walk to the local train station. My diet is healthy (am undertaking an immogenics.com determined diet) but need to lose 3 stone to be a sensible weight. Lost 3 stone last year, so half way to my goal :D

Monocock
14th Apr 2004, 21:28
Morgo

Bloody good luck to you too.

If you stay focussed you WILL achieve it .

Mono:ok:

vintage ATCO
14th Apr 2004, 21:28
Whenever I feel like exercising . . . .

. . . . I lie down in a darkened room until the feeling goes away! :D

But seriously, heart attack two years ago, cardiac rehab and now gym once or twice a week. Walking other times, red wine and plenty of garlic :ok:

Class 1 medical back after a year. :ok:

BEagle
14th Apr 2004, 21:41
I've always put my faith in LOTS of garlic, red wine and extra virgin............olive oil!

Don't forget the 'finite heartbeat theory'. Big G (or Big A if you happen to be a muslim) issues you with a fixed number of heartbeats. You can use them up quickly by rushing around playing rugby (or mincing around playing kevball) in your latter years - or potter about using them up slowly by involving yourself only in more gentlemany pursuits such as SVAS!

High Wing Drifter
15th Apr 2004, 00:39
Ah yes but a bit of regular cycling will get your pulse down to 45-50 bpm. Compared to the 60-70 it would be otherwise, even taking into account the 180 for four hours a week, I reckon that would be a net reduction:

((180-50) * 4) + (50 * 24 * 7) = 8,920 beats per week

(65 * 24 * 7) = 10,920 bpw

See, you'll live longer :cool:

Pink_aviator
15th Apr 2004, 06:38
Well PINKSTER here
gets out her Cannondale , and whizzes down to the end of the peninsular and back , taking in the back drop of the outer hebdredies .

AND those ups and downs on those mountain tracks ,does wonders for firming the thighs .

Now for a wobbly tummy ,filled with AGA a short bread I have to brave the ROWER .

I HAVE A BRILLIANT WATER, ROWER
It is made of cherry wood ,with a toughened glass dome (the glass that a planes widscreen is made from )
and
the water in side swishes , as you pull hard against it .

has a commputer attached so I can moniter my stroke rate and heart rate

but surprise pinkie surprise , I do not know how to change the worn out battery so my tummy will have to continue to wobble .teehee

the PINKSTER

High Wing Drifter
15th Apr 2004, 07:12
Pink,

If it is a Polar, just send it back to them for an exchange item. Ask at any serious bike shop or look at their website.

Pink_aviator
15th Apr 2004, 07:31
Sorry MONO I know you are not my friend , I am not hijacking just answerig a question OK , THEN I WILL BE GONE .

If HWD , THE POLAR is the commputer thingy, that is on the rower , not the bike.

Can I get one for the bike to . GREAT .

PINKSTAR

gingernut
15th Apr 2004, 08:07
I don't do enough. I know all the stuff about 20 minutes aerobic exercise, three times a week, 10,000 steps a day etc/etc, but I don't practice what I preach.

I do like to play here (http://www.watergate.co.uk/webcam.html) with my surfboard though. 2 hours of fighting this stuff and I begin to feel very very mellow....and sleepy.

englishal
15th Apr 2004, 09:07
Cycle 4-5 times a week, between 17 and 20 miles. In the winter Canoe at the weekends for about 1½ hrs per day in addition. In the Summer we go Wakeboarding most evenings for about 2-3 hrs as well.

When at work (on a ship for 6 weeks), I go to the gym for an hour a day (and have no booze:ugh: ).

EA

montster
15th Apr 2004, 09:12
The wisdom is now 30 minutes 5 times a week. I went to my doctor because they wanted everyone to have a heath check. I have a good pulse rate, good blood pressure, right weight etc., but when I told her I swim 1km twice a week, play 40 mins squash per week, walk into town instead of drive, work out with weights at home (if I get the time), she said "you don't do much exercise then, do you?":sad:

Most people I know exercise by putting food in the microwave, operating the TV remote control and lifting a pint glass - I'm one of the fittest people I know and the doctor told me I'm lazy!!

So now I run 3 times a week too:(

Andy_R
15th Apr 2004, 11:17
You guys and girls make me feel totally slovenly by comparison.... I'm off to hide in a dark corner with a burger and a beer

:uhoh: :{

Morgo
15th Apr 2004, 11:26
Thanks Monocock :cool:

From the descriptions of some of the exercises that people on this forum do, I am surprised that they get the time to do any flying at all!! :p

mazzy1026
15th Apr 2004, 12:04
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And it aint even Friday yet :(

shortstripper
15th Apr 2004, 15:53
I just work hard (farmer) ... However, although this has kept me very fit over the years, certain little luxuries (like a Quad bike) have lessened the physical side. That, coupled with the fact I'm heading toward the big four Oh! have meant that my fitness is now slipping. Having taken work based fitness for granted for so long, I must admit it's hard to get into the idea of actively excersising ... but I really must. ...

Is it just me or is this subject a bit depressing? :\

SS

MLS-12D
15th Apr 2004, 17:09
Pilots are generally not a lazy or slovenly bunchPerhaps. But all too many seem to smoke.

You can do a lot worse than to get a pedometer and ensure that you walk at least 6,000 steps a day (8,000-10,000 would be better).

Whirlybird
15th Apr 2004, 17:27
Hey, mods, can we move this to Jet Blast please!

And they complain that a certain other thread on here doesn't have much to do with aviation. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes, I know, I didn't have to click on it....but I thought it might be about dragging lots of helicopters out of the hangar, or how to push your aircraft up a slope singlehandedly when you're not very big, or something RELEVANT. :D :D :D It isn't, so.....byeeeeeeeeeeeee.

(Edited to add the smilies that I thought were obvius, but obviously weren't!)

Monocock
15th Apr 2004, 18:08
For crying out loud Whirly.....I started the thread with the fact that I appreciated that it does not DIRECTLY associate with private flying !

As far as I'm concerned, if someone has made a video called "Fit To Fly" aimed at the PPL/CPL entourage, then a thread about personal fitness is also applicable.

You are often right and you make it clear that you know that too.

This time I am afraid you are not.

Byeeeeeeeeeeee

P.S Are you a picture of female physical perfection in terms of health???????????? Some of us do like to actively keep in shape and there have been some interesting replies so far.

P.P.S There is a button marked "Report this post to a moderator" that you can use if you really feel that strongly about it. Public humiliation seems to be your favourite method of approaching issues such as these. Shame really.

englishal
16th Apr 2004, 08:54
Perhaps. But all too many seem to smoke
Hmm, which is probably why Pilots statistically die at an earlier age from natural causes (as opposed to flying into a mountain) than the general population. Either that or their personnalities are of the "live fast, die young(ger)" varitey.

Right off for a ciggy now ;)

EA

Whirlybird
16th Apr 2004, 11:08
Monocock,

"Fitness to fly" is an interesting and slightly ambiguous concept. It more usually appears to mean such things as making sure you aren't sick, overtired, stressed etc, before you go flying. I haven't seen the video, but I'd be surprised if it refers to fitness in the sense people are discussing it here. Of course, the two aren't completely unrelated, but you can be "fit to fly" without doing any of the things discussed here...ask any AME. Of course, if anyone disagrees, that would now make a very interesting and flying-related discussion.

For crying out loud Whirly.....

Hey, chill out! I meant what I said, but it was meant lightheartedly. I've now edited the post to add smilies, since that apparently wasn't obvious.

P.S Are you a picture of female physical perfection in terms of health????????????

Since you ask (sigh) I'm in reasonable shape, and pass class 1 medicals at frequent intervals. And I do exercise regularly as it happens (though I call it taking part in enjoyable hobbies). Though I'm nowhere near as fit as when I was in my university judo team, or when I got a Guinness Book of Records entry for a 5000 mile walk round Britain, or when I was a reserve on The Krypton Factor, or when I did a Weight Training Instructors Course, etc etc. I mention all this purely because you asked; I refuse to get dragged into any boring fitness discussions on a Private Flying forum. :D ;) (OK Whirly, you just did!)

There is a button marked "Report this post to a moderator" that you can use if you really feel that strongly about it. Public humiliation seems to be your favourite method of approaching issues such as these.

I don't feel THAT strongly about it. Only enough to give my opinion, along with all the other people on PPRune who give opinions. As I said, I don't have to click on it. I only perceive it as a harmless waste of bandwidth. And I came back...because I can never resist seeing if anyone's responded to my comments. I didn't expect the tone of your response, but there you are. I rarely set out to upset anyone. I certainly didn't in this case. And I don't think I've ever intentionally indulged in public humiliation in my life. What in the world are you referring to? :confused:

Monocock
16th Apr 2004, 21:15
I am really really sorry that my post was a

waste of bandwidth

In future I shall carefully consider any thread that I begin or even partake in.

Perhaps one should ask whether their posted details of their hot dates are valuable band width content.:hmm:

The next time I want to start a thread that doesn't concern helicopters, instructing or female aviation ambassadors I will remember to ask a lady poster to do it for me....:ok:

rustle
17th Apr 2004, 17:55
Monocock if it is any consolation I thought it was an interesting and relevant thread :)

GASH !
17th Apr 2004, 18:19
I used to be a keen road racer, cycling 260 - 300 miles a week. I stopped cycling about 4 years ago when I took up flying, and have managed to put on an incredible 4 stone of floppy blubber.

I'm now riding my bike daily on an indoor turbo trainer, and have taken up playing squash three times a week this combined with cutting all the crap out of my diet is doing the trick, with pretty impressive results.

High Wing Drifter
17th Apr 2004, 20:19
Gash,
I used to be a keen road racer, cycling 260 - 300 miles a week. I stopped cycling about 4 years ago when I took up flying, and have managed to put on an incredible 4 stone of floppy blubber.
Ditto!! Jeez, I was mad on cycling. Criteriums on Wednesdays, Surrey League on Thursdays, alternate weeks of Mountain Bike races and Road Races on Sundays. Went from 10 stone to 12.5 in a blink when I packed it in. Fantastic sport, just requires too much time to train. Piloting is much more agreeable :ok: