PDA

View Full Version : Leaking compasses

Aim Far
13th Apr 2004, 11:10
If a compass is leaking fluid, can the leak just be fixed and fluid replaced or does the compass have to be replaced? My new maintenance organisation have suggested replacement (before seeing the compass); this seems extreme but I have no way of judging the advice (or the organisation at this point). Any thoughts?

J.A.F.O.
13th Apr 2004, 12:23
There are places that sell compass repair kits but probably for about the same as a secondhand airpath compass. I had a leaky compass in my homebuilt and it was just as cheap to buy a secondhand, non-leaky compass.

I suppose it will depend on what you operate and maintenance legislation as to whether you can do what I did or even repair it. I don't have any details to hand but if you need more info then PM me and I'll try to dig it out.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2004, 12:25
Worth reading the "DI, AI and balance ball not working" thread on this page, may help decide your course of action.

G

S-Works
13th Apr 2004, 12:55
I have a second hand working perfectly compass and mounting for sale. I replaced it with a card compass.

PM me for details.

bluskis
13th Apr 2004, 13:05
I had a leaky compass repaired a couple of summers ago, as far as I remember the cost was minimal, and yes I did find the fumes objectional enough to finish the flight with the side window directing air onto my face.

FJJP
14th Apr 2004, 00:17
Let's put it this way....

1 x leaky compass - don't work, can get lost, short on go-juice, forced land, bend aeroplane, cost mega.

1 x leaky compass - don't work, buy new (or second hand) one, don't get lost, reach destination, don't bend aeroplane, cost not a lot.

Any contest?

bluskis
14th Apr 2004, 06:43
But if you have a slaved DI probably no real problem in continuing flight to destination

Aim Far
14th Apr 2004, 09:11
Thanks for the responses. I have a slaved HSI so the compass is not that important. Its been leaking for a while with no apparent ill effects - down to about half juice now.

Anyway, I've decided to get it replaced and re-swung. Its only money, right?!:{

jbqc
14th Apr 2004, 17:44
Buy a repair kit for about 8 quid and a small screwdriver, about a 30 minute job and normally you dony need a swing

JB

A and C
19th Apr 2004, 16:03
Plus £28 for the fluid but still much cheaper that a new compass !. ( no you cant use cheap gin ! )

Lomcovaks
19th Apr 2004, 16:32
Plus £28 for the fluid???

Use white spirit....it'll cost about £1.40.

Dan Dare
19th Apr 2004, 19:16
Just intersted what symptoms to expect from a dry compass.

Can you REALLY use white spirit? (excuse me if I'm being gullible)

Where can you find a reliable source of second hand compasses which haven't been knocked off someone elses aircraft?

Lomcovaks
19th Apr 2004, 22:59
Yes, you can use white spirit I wasn't joking.

Lom

A and C
20th Apr 2004, 07:28
What I would like to know is how long the seals last when you use white spirit ?.

£ 28 may seem a lot to pay for the proper compass fluid but I think that I should be able to do about ten compasses with one bottle of fluid .
At £2.80 a compass I dont think that the white spirit option is worth the the trouble due to the doubts that I have over the seal compatability vs the labor costs of extra seal changes.

DubTrub
22nd Apr 2004, 11:58
...and if you don't like the smell of white spirit, use baby oil.

A and C
22nd Apr 2004, 22:12
No I wont rise to the bait !!!!!!!!!!!

23rd Apr 2004, 01:21
Had a reason to refurbish the compass in the Auster Autocrat,ie inverted type, due to the great diffuculty in trying to read the direction indicator. The fluid had turned yellowish and the white markings had faded. Checked with several 'experts' and was advised to use metholated spirits- white spirit- ethonal- mineral turpintine- and several others. Was warned if the compass card is made of mother-of-pearl shell white spirit would warp the card. Used mineral turps in the compass and sealed up with silicon base sealent (black). Hardest part was getting the turps in upsidedown :O