PDA

View Full Version : Educational Qualifications

Tornado10
12th Apr 2004, 21:26
Hi all,

Just a quick question,

Can anyone tell me what the minimum educational qualifications that are required to become an atco?

I currently have no GCSEs or Alevels etc, but I am looking at doing a degree in computing.

Will this be enough or will I also need to take GCSEs as well?

Cheers

Tornado10

Brian81
12th Apr 2004, 21:42
Hi.

It depends... You dont need any special qualifications at all to "self fund" your way through a course.

Not so sure what the NATS requirement is at the mo. I had GSCEs and A-levels (no degree) and got in with them.

I'd presume as long as you can do some maths (in your head reasonably quickly) and you've got good common sense - and spatial awareness then I cant imagine they'd refuse you. But who am I to decide?

Try the nats website www.nats.co.uk to find out entry requirements.

Good luck! :ok:

Bri.

JimboUK2004
12th Apr 2004, 21:48
Evening Sir,

Check out nats recruitment site, gives u full requirements
nats recruitments site (http://www.nats.co.uk/recruitment/index.html)
If u can't be ars*d clicking on the link then u need 5GCSEs at grade C or above, and the equivalent of 2 A-levels.

U pretty much need the same for a degree too! I just finished my BEng degree and u needed 5 GCSEs (as usual) and 3 A-levels of BBC! ****! U prob know all this anyway!

Have fun my young padiwan.

Laters & good luck

Mr Chips
13th Apr 2004, 10:18
From the NATS site...

To apply to the air traffic controller position you need to:

- be at least 18 and under 30 at the date of application. Applicants over 30 may be considered if they have relevant aviation experience, either as a Military Air Traffic Controller, Civil or Military Assistant or have Military/Commercial flying experience;

- have 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Maths;

- have competed a period of post-GCSE study at higher level through to the examination, for example, 2 A Levels/3 Highers, a GNVQ advanced level or equivalent, or be in your final year of study;

- be eligible to work in the UK

The way I read it is that you don't have to have passed the A Levels, merely studied to exam standard... (which has always been the requirement)

However - one hopes that you would be ars*d clicking on the link!!!!!

ILS 119.5
16th Apr 2004, 01:28
There are certain requirements which are laid down by NATS and Major Airlines. I, after 20 years experience with 10 O levels, 3 A levels and a Bsc in Physics, think that all they are looking for is an ability to learn the syllabus plus a practical aptitude to do the job. If I, and I'm not in the recruitment section of any company, was to have applicants put before me for either ATCO/Pilot trainee vacancies firstly to arrive before me they must be able to show that they are able to learn, secondly they must demonstrate an aptitude. These attributes are proven by the initial application and aptitude tests. The final interview is to see the enthusiasm, committment, and knowledge that the applicant has before employment.
The more qualifications you have on application then the more chance you have of getting through the first hurdle. Another way to skip the initial requirements is either a present job as an ATSA or a PPL,CPL etc.
Hope this is useful to you.
ILS 119.5

whowhenwhy
17th Apr 2004, 20:29
I seem to remember that there was a thread about this last year so use the search function and you should get all the answers posted last time. From a military point of view, which, while not given the best renumeration when compared to our civvy brethren, the job is a damn sight more interesting and varied!

If you want to come straight in as a controller then you're looking at 5 GCSEs, c or above and 2 a-levels, e or above. I'm not sure where you'd fit in with your academics received and planned at present, best to speak to a careers office. If you can satisfy that lot and pass the interviews the you are treated to 6 months officer training, followed by 6 months controller training (JATCC). This will enable you to either go to an airfield and commence on-the-job-traning, or, if you're good enough, go straight onto the 5 week Area Radar Training course and either get posted to Scottish Mil (cold), Swanwick Mil (prima donnas) or London Mil (Gods!).

Alternatively, you could enter as an assistant and, if you've got the academics, go onto the fast track, which would see you getting onto JATCC after about 5 years I believe is the plan-someone else step in if I'm wrong!

Like I said, we might not get paid well when you compare our wages to civvies and I guess that they don't have to go to Basra either. Although they do miss out on going to the Falkland Islands! But our job is a lot more varied than theirs, the training system shorter and if you wanted to go civvy at a later date, the experience will stand you in very good stead!

17th Apr 2004, 20:54
Don't lay it on too thick or you'll frighten off all the potential good controllers out there. The current trend of choosing ridiculously over-qualified candidates who have had an aptitude by-pass has resulted in a gross time waste for trainee and trainer alike. I am an ex-milkman with no A-levels, and I will always be grateful to the enlightened selectors for giving me the opportunity to have amassed 30 years operational at a variety of units, and no failures. I think that if the selection is based on hoops and monkey-poles you will get people who are good at hoop and monkey-pole exercises and nothing more. [No insult is intended....just wanted to put forward a different perspective.]

ILS 119.5
18th Apr 2004, 05:01
I do understand what you are saying and my point, basically, meant that a controllers job is ability. But you must have some sort of qualifications to get to the initial stage. You cannot tell me that when you applied you only said you were a milkman. A friend of mine was a milkman but he had educational qualifications to apply for the RAF and now flying as a FLT LTN on F1"s.
ILS

whowhenwhy
18th Apr 2004, 08:29
ILS, I'm guessing that you mean he's a navigator, but we don't have F1s!! They're a type of Mirage which the French have managed to sell a fair few of over time, I'm guessing you meant F3's? As a further point on this whole qualifications issue, I've always maintained that, as far as the technical aspects of our job are concerned, someone with no formal academic qualifications is just as likely as someone with a first class honours degree in maths, to be able to do the job itself. The academics are only there as a way of ensuring that someone has got the ability to store and manipulate the vast amount of knowledge that we all have to have, to do the job effectively, consistently and safely!

ILS 119.5
18th Apr 2004, 18:10
whowhenwhy
Sorry, meant F3's, it didn't seem right when I looked at it, but after a few Heineken's it didn't really care. I agree with you regarding the qualification issue. Our job is about ability, intelligence and aptitude. Qualifications only show that you can absorb the information for the written exams. However anyone who is determined, and for example takes the self funding route, should not have a problem. Unfortunately the criteria laid down for initial appications is to weed out certain individuals and make the selection process easier for the employers. I know that this system isn't perfect as many people fail on the way and I know that some individuals, who didn't make the first stage due to lack of qualifications, would have passed. Maybe everyone, regardless of qualifications, should be allowed to take aptitude tests online before applying. I will ensure that my children obtain the maximum qualifications they can to ensure a good start in thier working career. They might turn out to be wasters but at least they will be educated wasters. Regarding your comments on salary I didn't think that you were that badly paid. The only advice I would give to people joining the military is that if your intentions are to join the civvy side eventually then don't leave it too late. You will never get a command and be an F/O until retirement.

Tornado10
26th Apr 2004, 19:51
Thank you all for your replies,

Before posting this I did check out the NATS website, but it seemed a little unclear,

I currently have no GCSEs through my own time wasting really, and I am wondering that (Now I have grown up and wished I had stuck in that little bit more) If I was to do a degree, would that be enough to satisfy the recruiters into giving me the second stage.

I do have a military background and I have vast technical and management skills, (to include some rather large amount of stress techniques ;) ) and I am confident that if I get to the recruitment stage that I would have a good chance of going further.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

tired-flyboy
27th Apr 2004, 16:03
Being not long out the RAF and having controlled in Terminal and Area,
I can asure you that it doesn't matter - they will still put you into the melting pot with the 18yr olds straight from school or the new Graduates who think (most of them - at least the ones i met at selection) that they were owed something for doing a degree. :8

I don't believe having a degree or not makes a difference, after all you've got technical and 'life' experience which goes a long way.

but (sorry to say) it won't get you to the second stage any quicker!

Do well in round one and you'll get to the second stage regardless - your 'life' experience will show through and on your application play the game and play up your experience to your advantage.

Thats my tuppence worth

Good Luck :ok: :ok:

Another thought - you don't say what military experience (if it was ATC controller/assistant or even ops/dare i say it aircrew! these would be more beneficial than an engineer who worked on ATC equipment!)

Not wanting to ruffle your feathers - but the mil experience (in my opinion) would have to be relevant!
:ok:

ILS 119.5
30th Apr 2004, 18:51
Sorry forgot to say that I am an ex newspaper delivery boy.

Tornado10
5th May 2004, 19:25
Hey there,

Thanks for all your help. I am gonna do a qualification like A level or GNVQ to help but I am gonna apply :D

BTW I used to be a sattelite comms rating in the Navy

dunno if that will help but there you go

Again, thank you all,

Carl