PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth accommodation...

alfie1999
11th Apr 2004, 21:57
If there are any guys/girls currently on the course in B&B's or rented accom i'd appreciate any pointers. I've checked through previous threads but they're a bit dated and I don't fancy ending up in faulty towers.

Cheers

Fidgell
12th Apr 2004, 10:32
I can whole heartedly recommend the Clematis B&B on Westby Road in boscombe, Sheila - the owner - is very helpful and friendly and doesnt charge the earth... plus youd be near the seagull pub and thats worth everythin!!!:D

alfie1999
12th Apr 2004, 10:48
Thanks Fidgell. How much is she asking a week and what are the rooms like?

Phantom99
12th Apr 2004, 14:42
Hi,

It depends when you are coming down really...you can get some really good quality holiday accommodation outside of the peak season for some pretty good prices.

During Summer the prices soar, but I've heard the Clematis is good, some people on my course stay(ed) at the Seaway and found it to be comfortable. I've been told to add don't stay at the Hawaiian, also on Westby Road. I think some people had some bad experiences there.

alfie1999
12th Apr 2004, 17:42
I'm starting at the beginning of June so the B&B option might be a little expensive unless they do some sort of long term deal. I'll give the Clematis and Seaway a bell and find out anyway.

Thanks for the help.

rodan
12th Apr 2004, 23:22
I've been told to add don't stay at the Hawaiian, also on Westby Road. I think some people had some bad experiences there.

And just for a bit of balance, I stayed at the Hawaiian (not on Wesby Rd, btw, it's a couple of streets down) and would recommend it to anyone - it's just about the closest place in Boscombe to The Seagull. I have a friend who spent the whole course there without complaint (The Hawaiian, not The Seagull :}). Is there maybe some confusion? There was certainly one place that had a bad reputation, and it was on Westby Rd. Can't remember the name, bound to be something daft like the rest of 'em :).

BobAgg
13th Apr 2004, 00:13
I can vouch for the Phantom!

The hawiian is a toilet, even after it got done up not so long ago!

Avoid at all costs, it was supposed to be getting taken off the list!

The Seaway/Edwardian/Clematis etc. are good enough for the first wee while!

Good Luck

alfie1999
13th Apr 2004, 18:05
£120pw B&B at the Clematis which seems reasonable enough. That said, I think i'll look to rent once i've more of an idea about
course length and how long i'll be spending away from the College during it.

jjbrfc
16th Apr 2004, 08:23
I stayed in the Seaway for about a year. It's good as long as the other guests keep the kitchen tidy. Shared kitchen between 6 rooms. Rent is really cheap, £65 week. Can't beat that. To find out if they've got any rooms available call Paul or Ida on 01202395002. Nice family, decent rooms.

cb9002
18th Apr 2004, 11:50
Alife

I'm staying at the Seaway at the moment, and its currently great. The owners are away in Sicily for a week, so you can't book anything until they get back!

Best idea (IMHO)- come down for a weekend before June, and take a look around Boscombe to see which place you like. If she hasen't already, Sally at the college will post you a free A-Z so look for Westby Road in the index - thats where most people stay for the first month. Its only 1/2 hours walk from the train station if you aren't driving.

BTW, sort things ASAP - some places are already fully booked for the summer rush.

PM me if you want more help

cb9002

alfie1999
18th Apr 2004, 12:33
cb9002,
What are the rooms like in the Seaway? Is it a B&B or rental flats?

TATC
19th Apr 2004, 12:44
I stayed at teh Edwardian when I was at the college.

It is a nice friendly place with great owners. They even cooked surprise Birthday meals for the ATCO guests. It was like being at home.

When I was there the entire Top Floor was just for ATCO trainees - usually got a mix of courses so had a great source of information and the essential study guides for written papers.:ok:

We had use of a fridge and a microwave and plates and cutlery were also provided.

I would recmmend this place for at least the early portion of the course -and having said that I stayed there for all my time at the college

Hope this helps