PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Cyprus

mad_jock
11th Apr 2004, 17:47
Going over on my hols and would like to see a bit from the air.

Has anyone got hints and tips for not getting shot down by the turks.

And any feed back on the schools out there.

And maybe Beagle might know is there a services club out there?

MJ

EEJay
11th Apr 2004, 17:53
Griffon Aviation based at Paphos are a great bunch of guys. They operate C152's, PA28's and a Cessna twin.
Flying in cyprus is a bit limited by the 'green line' but hopefully this will soon change. Some great scenery both mountain and coastal.

Bluebeard777
11th Apr 2004, 21:03
I flew out of Larnaca with Tomahawk Aviation. Great scenery but a very security-conscious environment, with good reason I suppose. Don't fly over the British base areas, don't fly over the Cypriot army sites (numerous), and whatever you do, don't fly over the Turks! ATC kept close tabs on all movements, flight plan for all flights. Not what I was used to.

I understand a light aviation field has opened on the south side of Nicosia, you might be able to check this out.

FJJP
12th Apr 2004, 08:01
There is a flying club at Akrotiri (LRCA) but I'm afraid I don't have any contact details. However, the controller at Air Ops (00375 527 6664) should be able to give you a contact name and number. If he gives you an extension as opposed to a full telephone number, substitute 6664 with the given extension. [00375 is Cyprus, 5 is Limassol area and 27+Ext is the direct dial no for Akrotiri]. Where are you going to stay when you're there, and have you been there before?

Have a great time, and not too much of the dreaded Red Infuriator!

Mike Cross
12th Apr 2004, 08:16
Flew with Griffon at Pafos a few years ago. Flight plan for every flight, greek accents can be a touch tricky to understand on the radio. Mountainous terrain and a fair bit of turbulence which can be caused by both wind and thermal activity but well worth doing.

Mike

mad_jock
12th Apr 2004, 08:44
Yep been there before. Visting m8's at the base.

Thanks for the info. Will have to working out a cunning plan to mix diving and flying :D

MJ

Blind lemon
13th Apr 2004, 19:01
I am another who can recomend Griffon. As already stated the scenary is impressive but dont expect to take your camera with you. That gets taken from you as you go airside at Paphos for safe keeping. The Cypriots are very particular about this.

If you fly from Paphos there are a couple of other airfields you can land at on the Greek side or if youre up for a really decent flight you can fly to Rhodes.

Happy Hols

:D

Wycombe
13th Apr 2004, 22:09
....or Beirut, which is what I did in a 172 from Larnaca when I was last there late '90's (about 110NM direct-ish track if I remember correct).

As prevously mentioned, FPL required for all flights, and flying on the Greek side was limited to a couple of pre-defined routes, running roughly W-E from Paphos to Larnaca.

This was a while ago, so might have all changed (become more relaxed) though.