PDA

View Full Version : Duke, G. "Air Traffic Control"

dweaver3481
8th Apr 2004, 23:33
To all who can help.

I recently found out I passed me initial tests in Manchester and have an interview for 18th May. I have bought the aforementioned book by Duke and it's driving me mad cause there's no way I can learn even a quarter of it by then. Can someone help me as to general stuff I should learn or sections to read etc?

Cheers, Damian.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Apr 2004, 08:39
<<I recently found out I passed me initial tests >>

I think you mean "MY" initial tests. For Lordy's sake don't go in for the interview speaking like that!!

I've never heard of the book so don't panic too much. You won't be expected to know everything about ATC... although I'm sure it would be beneficial if candidates could at least prove that they have a general interest in the subject.

Don't waffle if you don't know the answer - say so. In my initial interview many years go I was asked Oceanic separation standards (I kid you not). I didn't have the faintest idea - and quickly said so. I passed.

tired-flyboy
9th Apr 2004, 10:03
This book isn't the worst i'd read about ATC.

It is good (although heavy going)

look at the parts fo ATC you are unfamiliar with, (i'd bet oceanic control and possibly means of navigating (VORs etc)

In my interview i was asked about how an aircraft navigates to america and what sort of aircraft / speed and distance.

General knowledge is better than specific (if you've no background in ATC), after all they will place you on a TRAINING course to learn the job.

and before ppl jump on me i know the 'real' training happens on unit!

thats my tuppence worth hope it calms you down!

:ok:

Good luck

2 sheds
9th Apr 2004, 10:06
Actually, that book is one of the very few good ones on the subject of ATC. From what I recall, it is mostly extremely accurate.

DW - why should a book on a subject that you are, presumably, very interested in, be "driving (you) mad"? Not only do you have several weeks in which to study it, but I would have thought that you would be soaking up all the good gen in it if you have any enthusiasm for becoming an ATCO. Don't approach "study" as a chore but out of interest.

Concur entirely with HD's comments (although, in your favour, you do at least know where to place an apostrophe!).

Jerricho
9th Apr 2004, 14:53
In concurrence with 2 Sheds and Heathrow Dir (Hey Bren! How's it going?), preparing for your interview with a pure "study" approach may have it's perils.

We could rave on for days and days regarding interview technique and preparation, and some of us a re good at it, and some are not. Being able to study and regurgitate verbatim from a book is a talent that can be advantageous, IMHO an understanding of what you're quoting from the book is required, especially in an interview. If you're like me, interviews can be a little daunting, and chances are recounting word for word from a book the interviewing ATCO will probably have read (although maybe not as it doesn't have enough pictures or have big print ;) ) will look over-rehearsed. And you can dig yourself into a hole very quickly by dropping a "technical" key word answer and the interviewer asks you to explain/expand on your answer. (something which happens very easily when you get to the college and you sit your verbal exams).

If you have any specific questions, send us a PM. An the very best of luck!

Warped Factor
9th Apr 2004, 18:14
Don't get too carried away with trying to find out the finer points of ATC.

I think I'm right in saying that most of the info required for the interview you'll have with a current atco can be found in the information you'll be sent prior to the interview.

Best of luck.

WF.

Inverted81
9th Apr 2004, 18:26
Hi,
Congrats on getting through your initial selection! Did you pick up a copy of "Introduction to Air Traffic Control" by Mark Crane at your selection?? At my selection there were piles of this rather hefty NATS publication (photocopied, stapled) to take home with you in case you were successfull. This will provide you with the essentials needed for your interviews. I also bought the Duke book, Bargain on amazon, £6.99! (Commision in the post ;) ) which i used to back up the crane book, although the "new" 8th edition of duke is now out of date with reference to supersonic commercial flights (you hopefully will know why!).

For your info, in my tech interview i completely mucked up the question about distance to NY and how long a say B777 would take to get there. Felt really dumb... but i still passed! :)
Finally as you have hopefully read on other threads, a visit or two to ATC units will also help tremendously! :)

Good Luck!
Chrisf

EGCC Rwy 24
10th Apr 2004, 19:59
"Introduction to Air Traffic Control" by Mark Crane

Anyone got a copy of said tome, or know where I can get one?

Preferably electronically, but even good old paper would do!

Thanks,

Nick

Inverted81
10th Apr 2004, 22:44
EGCC, you could always try HR, as they were the ones who provided it... only if your in the selection process though i guess.
Cheers
Chris ;)

EGCC Rwy 24
11th Apr 2004, 09:22
Chris,

Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately I am not going through "the process". For a start, I'm too old :*

I was thinking that the info from the book could be useful background for my Reporting Points web site (http://www.reportingpoints.info).

Nick

Edited to correct the URL of my own site - doh !!