PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool

Lost_luggage34
8th Apr 2004, 23:26
To the experts out there what is Blackpool like to do a PPL with?

Done my homework yet there seems little infomation on PPRuNe.

Just curious, may do the NPPL syllabus.

All coments welcome.

long final
9th Apr 2004, 06:42
I did my PPL at Westair. They are a bit more expensive than some of the others, but the AC are well maintained and the club is well run.

Good instructors who also do IMC, night and NPPL

If you need any more info pm me

LF

Fujiflyer
10th Apr 2004, 12:18
I trained at Southampton a few years ago but fly into Blackpool from time to time. I would expect it to be an excellent environment to train at - it has most of the features one would want to become used to such as full ATC, IFR facilities, nearby MATZ, several hard runways etc. Additionally this part of the NW is excellent for VFR - Blackpool seems to get much better weather than the areas around it (Pennines, Lakes etc). You also cannot beat it for easily identifiable landmarks (B/pool twr, Morecambe Estuary etc, etc).

I 'm not sure about the schools but I believe there's a few to chose from,

Fuji

Bear 555
10th Apr 2004, 12:55
Hi LL,

I fly with BAE Flying Club, but we use Westair facilities at BPL. All seems fairly slick to me in the Westair hanger. They have their own engineers next door...

There are a couple of schools based there so worth a drive round to chat to them all and see which you prefer.

I'm relatively new to the area, having trained elsewhere, but am finding local navigation quite straight forward. Fujiflyer is dead right - loads of good landmarks to help the navigation. Also a swift and competent ATC copes well with everythign from PPLs, microloghts, gliding sites and not forgetting holiday charter flights and Ryanair!

Have fun, wherever you end up,

Bear 555
:-)

GASH !
11th Apr 2004, 10:59
Did my ppl at Comed in Blackpool 1999. Blackpool was a great airport to fly out of, although I'm put off visiting my home town these days as I believe they charge like wounded rhinos for the landing fee.

My instructor was top notch by the way, Malcolm Sewell, but I think he does most of his instructing at Multiflight Leeds, these days rather than the seaside.

AndyDRHuddleston
19th Apr 2004, 08:59
Hi LL,

I, like Bear 555, fly at the BAE flying club which is based within the Westair hangar at Bpl.

I did my PPL there and found the airport and surrounding area to be excellent, especially with the varying types of airspace and scenery. ATC were very helpful and apart from the ryanair flights, the airport was relatively relaxed as far as commercial traffic was concerned.

Would definately recommend it to you.

ADRH