PDA

View Full Version : Fokker 70 Flaps & Spoilers

Volume
8th Apr 2004, 06:17
F70 pilots,

is it normal procedure to do a zero flaps takeoff with the Fokker 70, and why ? The fist flap position looks like mainly increasing wing chord and adding only minor camber, so it looks like a perfect takeoff position.
Are the spoilers pure ground spoilers, or are they also allowed for use in flight ? We started yesterday in heavy rain, and obviously a lot of water was trapped under the spoilers and froze there. After touchdown a huge amount of ice was released from the spoilers. Probably no good idea to release it into the engines in flight ...

fritzi
8th Apr 2004, 08:48
Im not a F70 pilot, but I know a great deal about the aircraft so hopefully I can help you out.

The F70 doesn´t always use flaps on takeoff simply because it is not needed. The wing produces enough lift during takeoff without the flaps extended. Extending the flaps would just create unnecessary drag. If I recall correctly, this is also valid for the F100.

You also asked about the spoilers. Yes, they are only ground spoilers. The F70/100s are instead equipped with a airbrake located on the tail, the same type as on the Avro RJs/Bae 146s.

/Regards