View Full Version : Why is the Merlin so good

Melrin Dip
7th Apr 2004, 18:30
A RW colleague of mine on another forum said we need a thread on how good the Merlin HM 1 is and why all us operator types like it so much.

Well in these times of rumour and counter-rumour especially from those who want to kill off other peoples projects I will start. Of course there will be the detractors but I'm sure we can guarantee they aren't Merlin orientated or have ever been closer than watching a flypast.

The aircraft is much better than the Sea King it replaces - more space, better radar , sonar and other kit.

It flies very much like a Lynx and around the flight deck whether its at night or in poor weather its a complete dream to handle.

Its fast and smooth - senior officers love to be transported in it.

On a frigate its like having and airborne ops room, SH helo and ASW aircraft all in one. It can do all these things at once without serious limitation to the other roles.

Despite what you might believe or have been told its an epic SAR platform.

You may wish to disagree with me on serviceability or the like but thats not an inherent aircraft design issue - its the support/stores contract that was put in place by our friend Mr Portillo in 1993/4. Funny how the Conservatives forget all their best decisions.

Costs - all costs of aircraft these days relate to total aircraft PROGRAMME costs - including design support and simulators etc. I guarantee you that is not the case when you compare with other aircraft and how much are Nimrod MR4s a piece?

Finally - if you want to really comment on Merlin. Travel SW and visit Culdrose - get in one (or even see the sim) - and decide objectively for yourself.

I expect someone will bring the accident up in this thread - DON'T!, wait for the BOI.

:cool:

Bootneck
7th Apr 2004, 19:51
Finally - if you want to really comment on Merlin. Travel SW and visit Culdrose - get in one (or even see the sim) - and decide objectively for yourself
If only they'd let me fly the bloody thing. Yes it is neat, fast, commodious and appears to do everything comfortably.
My criticism is not with the machine, but the machinations behind it's development and introduction. In '84 it started out at £12.5M, and as usual has gone way beyond anticipated costs. Unfortunately from what I see and understand the aircraft is under supplied with spares, which must be a tragedy for those trying to introduce it to service.
Glad to see you chaps enjoy the beast.:cool:

Skylark4
7th Apr 2004, 21:51
I walked up the ramp on one in the hangar the other day. I am only 6' tall in my boots and could not stand upright. I was not wearing a bonedome. Would it have been that difficult/costly/impractical to have the cabin 6" higher. It must be murder on the back of the poor bloke who spends his time wandering around in the back.

In general; why do you bother with retractable wheels on choppers. With your limited speed I wouldn't have thought the weight/complication penalty was worth it

Mike W

WE Branch Fanatic
7th Apr 2004, 21:57
Merlin threads are prone to be troublesome because some of us are talking about the Grey Navy ones, others about Green RAF ones....

Archimedes
7th Apr 2004, 22:13
Marlin threads are prone to be troublesome

Why do the RAF have green fish and the RN grey ones?

We're occasionally visited by Merlins at the plc (useful for drying the outfield on the cricket pitch). Mighty impressive beasties. Although whether one was required to deliver an A4 sized package to an ICSC inmate might be debated....:)

action_lynx
7th Apr 2004, 23:15
Haven't had the chance to get in one yet (a grey one! ;)) but I understand they are much much smoother and quieter than lynx with similar performance - for a big beast! Also... I believe the ration of aircrew nutty consumed is proportional to the size of the aircraft...? Big helo... :E

Are they looking at re-roling it at all?? SAR or replacement for SKMk4?

RoD Flow
8th Apr 2004, 06:56
Let me count the ways:

Big
Fast
Smooth
Digimap
INS
Does most things other helos do, just as well, if not better
Crashworthiness (I know that one is a bit of optimism in the face of adversity)
Potential - PID/FLIR, Missile, bigger gun for starters

I would never admit it to our jungly or lynx bretheren, but ASW in a SK was dull. Long, long periods of boredom punctuated only occasionally by moments of sheer terror. (There I was, 40', in the dip, 100 miles from Mum, Black as witches bits....etc) With Merlin, the 'driver' has finally been invited to the party and can not only see what is going on, can get involved, rather than responding to (or more often, forgetting) steer commands from the Zero in the back. Stovies called it S.A. We didn't call it anything in Sea Kings cos the front seat didn't have any.

Why do we in Merlin land leap to her defence so readily? Because we have been doing it for so long. Never has a new toy been so maligned. We have bought it, the money is gone, lets fix it, fly it and enjoy it.

The King is dead, long live the sorcerer

Sashathehungry
8th Apr 2004, 10:07
strictly regarding the dark green merlot here...

I had heard that it was a bit of a let down, particularly with not being able to hover on two engines? Admittedly I was talking to a ex-Chinook display pilot (not exactly objective :rolleyes: ) but the impression he gave was that it was the jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

I hope someone can prove me wrong since I could well be flying one if I go to Shawbury and beyond!

Hungry

Occasional Aviator
12th Apr 2004, 15:40
As a Mk 3 operator, I can echo the enthusiasm of the RN. Yes, the Chinook can lift three times as much, but the Merlin can go as far, faster, more quietly, more smoothly, in greater safety, better protected and with more, more modern, kit in the cockpit. Our icing clearance is already better than any other helicopter in UK service and that's only at the interim level. Yes, there are things I'd like to chnage about it, but would I swap places with a Chinook pilot? Not for all the 10 ton ISOs that are moved from one end of a car park to another every year!

As for the rumour that Merlin can't hover on 2 engines, I have to suppress a yawn every time I hear it. At max all-up mass, at high density altitudes, if one engine fails, you can't hover; but show me a helicopter that this isn't true for! Actually the OEI performance is impressive. You're often not committed until the very last minute, if at all at training weights in a temperate environment. Think about it: if you lose an engine in a twin engine helicopter, you're down to maybe 60 percent of your power, taking into account emergency ratings of the engine; in a 3-engined helicopter, losing an engine limits you to something more like 75 or 80 percent. And in any case, the RTM 322 is incredibly good - I believe the rate of engine rejection is still in single figures after some 120,000 hours of fleet operation.

Spares are still an issue, but when you have them, this is a very reliable aircraft. The availability rate of the Mk 3 in Bosnia was close to 98 percent.

Sashathehungry
12th Apr 2004, 18:12
Quote:
Yes, there are things I'd like to chnage about it, but would I swap places with a Chinook pilot? Not for all the 10 ton ISOs that are moved from one end of a car park to another every year!

Nice to hear OA, thanks very much!

You mention servicability being close to 98% in bosnia...

Is this based on an abundance of spares, and the comfort of a solid airbase to wrap up warm in at night? Do you think it would retain a high servicability when compared to the likes of the Puma/Chinook etc in a more "field" deployment (for want of a better expression)?

I only ask since I see the Mk3 a lot at Leeming, with enourmous scaffolding erected around it between flights. Seems to me like it requires a lot to get it going (mind you, I should probably get off my a$$e and talk to the crew ;) ).

Thanks

Hungry

Occasional Aviator
12th Apr 2004, 19:32
Bosnia is actually operating out of a disused metal factory, not an airfield; basic but admittedly not as austere as a field location. We have operated out of field sites a number of times without any significant problems though.

The gantries you see around the aircraft at Leeming are a health and safety thing because it's so tall... as I recall, the servicing is done in a hangar full of tornados in bits and the Merlins seem to spend less time there than the jets!

The Ferret
12th Apr 2004, 22:02
Melrin Dip - thanks for breaking this thread out of the accident - no I will not mention it!

Having flown the aircraft, I agree with your sentiments and support your view that the Merlin Mk 1 is a world beater with much to offer the ASW, AsuW and SAR fraternities. Having also been winched out of the sea by one, however, I still believe that the Sea King, or smaller helos have their place in certain SAR scenarios where the Merlin downwash would be excessive. Do not get me wrong - the aircraft has the speed of response, range and avionics to meet the demands of most SAR situations but there are limitations as I am sure the Canadian Cormorant will find.

There are still a few things missing..........

The twin wheels on the Mk 3 is an item that the Mk 1 dearly needs! With only single wheels of the main undercarriage it imposes too many operating restrictions, not to mention the safety aspects of relying on one tyre on one side!

It needs a Defensive Aid Suite (DAS) if we intend to operate it in the littoral.

It needs an Electro Optice (EO) device if we are going to take the ASuW role seriously and..........

............it needs an anti surface weapon!

How do the rear seat crews now feel about flying backwards (facing aft) - does it still affect their SA or have they adapted?:sad: :ugh: :ugh:

WE Branch Fanatic
12th Apr 2004, 22:39
It also needs a Sea Harrier or similar (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152) to protect from enemy aircraft.....

Surely the MOD have thought about defending helicopters from hostile MiGs, Sukhoi etc?

Roger Greendeck
13th Apr 2004, 05:15
Littoral does not always mean enemy bases near by. But enemy is certainly more likely. A good DAS is rather important. But that is a project issue and not Merlin specific.

Thud Ridge
13th Apr 2004, 08:53
Littoral Region:

"Coastal sea areas and that portion of the land which is suscepticle to influence or support from the sea"

Everyday's a school day.

TR

dmanton300
13th Apr 2004, 11:30
The twin wheels on the Mk 3 is an item that the Mk 1 dearly needs! With only single wheels of the main undercarriage it imposes too many operating restrictions,

The problem with having twin wheels on the Mk.1 is that you immediately hit operating restrictions in terms of the Mk.1's home base, which oftimes are ships as small as a Frigate. To maneouvre in the tight comfines of a ship of that size requires an undercarriage that can castor on a helo that big, you don't get that with twin wheels. So there is a good reason for that single wheel main UC, even if it restricts the helo in terms of other ground environments like rough and/or grass. . . .As far as I can see all the Italian aircraft of whatever flavour have twin wheel mains, but even their ASuW ones are land based where it's not an issue, and even if they go to sea it'll be on ships like the Guissepe Garibaldi where moving them around won't be an issue.

Occasional Aviator
14th Apr 2004, 19:09
We can castor the Mk 3 OK?!

BillHicksRules
14th Apr 2004, 19:14
WEBF,

You have to face it mate the Sea Harrier is dead.

I know it pains you but that is reality.

Cheers

BHR

Spanish Waltzer
14th Apr 2004, 19:36
I know this thread is specifically not referring to the accident down at Culdrose which is great, but is the Merlin still 'good' enough to beat the competition for 'Marine One'?

It's going to be mighty hard to fend off the obvious criticisms from Mr Sikorsky about reliability etc and isn't the contract supposed to be being awarded in the next month or so and thus before BOI findings are released......

goffered again
14th Apr 2004, 20:39
I think he was meaning the mains so it can swivel into wind on a flight deck.

Ref. downwash. The Danes have opted for Merlin for SAR having done a Downwash trial against an NH90 so it can't be all bad.

Sea King has more than a Wessex, which had more than a Whirlwind etc, sometimes its good to be picked up by anything.:ok:

Stitchbitch
14th Apr 2004, 21:01
Occasional Aviator I always thought the twin wheels on the Mk.3 were there so the unwary could burst more tyres...;)

Straight Up Again
15th Apr 2004, 03:02
goffered again - I think Occasional Aviator was meaning that the Mk3 can turn on the spot, so to speak, even with twin mains. 'castor' is the switch position to get the nosewheel to turn to the 90 deg position to allow a spot turn, normally the steering is restricted to 45 deg either way. It seemed to confuse the poor marshaller the first time we took one for a visit (can't remember if it was Benson or Odiham or wherever), he wasn't used to stuff that could turn on the spot. The spot around which it turns is where the Deck-lock is on the RN aircraft, so you can spin around with the deck-lock engaged. As always my memory is about 4 years out of date.

I can't see why the RN ones couldn't have twin wheels, I seem to remember the oleos and sponson where the same anyway, and I can't sea how deck handling would have been made more difficult.

If I was bobbing around some nice cold bit of sea, anything would look good to me, even a RAN Seapsrite, which looks pretty ugly in any other situation.

Toxteth O'Grady
15th Apr 2004, 08:35
I can't see why the RN ones couldn't have twin wheels

Easily answered because there was only one reason at the end of the day; yeah, you guessed it.......................cost!

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2004, 08:55
Is the Merlin still 'good enough' for Marine One?

Mr Sikorsky will doubtless be expending considerable resources to try and 'prove otherwise', but that doesn't mean he'll succeed.

Even with the accidents, the EH101 is clearly better and safer than the S.70. And the S.92 is a stretched, enlarged S.70, taking many of the S.70's most vulnerable systems and components.

And the insular and inward looking Americans may not associate the EHI EH101 Merlin as closely as we do with the Lockheed Martin US101.

Toxteth O'Grady
15th Apr 2004, 09:11
Jacko

Maybe they could order the US101, then cancel it the morning after the Presidential election, then order a completely different aircraft called the US Cormorant. None none of the electorate will ever notice.

Worked for the Canucks!

OFBSLF
15th Apr 2004, 16:23
And the insular and inward looking Americans may not associate the EHI EH101 Merlin as closely as we do with the Lockheed Martin US101.Oh please. The people making the decisions will bloody well know where it was designed, and which components will be built where.

The Ferret
15th Apr 2004, 20:03
[QUOTE] Easily answered because there was only one reason at the end of the day; yeah, you guessed it.......................cost!

T O'G ..................yes you are absolutely right - in fact most of the cost lies in redesigning and rebuilding the Scott McTaggart PRISM deck handling system to take twin wheels!:{ :{

Straight Up Again
15th Apr 2004, 22:45
There was a thread about the Presidential Bid on Rotorheads a short while ago that had some good links/points.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, its here: Presidential Bid (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=119433&highlight=presidential)

crossbow
25th Apr 2004, 09:02
Youre all missing the point guys. The Grey Merlin is an awful awful aircraft.

Good points - Fast, furious, far, smooth

Bad points - Its based in the back of beyond. Its miles away from any sort of civilisation. Who in their right minds wants to fly an aircraft based in never,never land.

Move it somewhere closer to reality and you will win a lot more fans

dangermouse
26th Apr 2004, 17:15
Saw a Merlin over Yeovil this pm, so I guess things are getting back to normal

Neil Porter
28th May 2004, 19:48
Any news on the Merlin front?
Are they any closer to fixing the problem??

Always_broken_in_wilts
29th May 2004, 00:24
No answer,

Guess they must all be on gardening leave:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Bigtop
29th May 2004, 07:06
For the sceptics:
Flying backwards in a Merlin is not a major problem! Yes facing forwards would have some advantages and make life a little more comfortable with its high nose up attitude on occassion.

Twin wheels - was a cost/weight saver to go to a single wheel. No signficant problems in deck handlingwith twin wheels, not even with the deck handling as the main shuttles are a guide not the engine of PRISM.

Way ahead - yes the cause of the accident has been identifed and a plan to get them airborne again is in hand but wait for the BOI report for the detail.

Despite the teething problems in introducing this aircraft it is immensely capable and an excellent force asset to the afloat commander. DAS/weapons etc would all enhance the aircraft so rather than throw stones lets concentrate on making a good platform better.

As for the sceptics from the other communities - I hope you have learnt the lessons exposed by Merlin when you bring your replacements on-line!!!!

WE Branch Fanatic
29th May 2004, 12:11
Just spent 45 minutes writing a reply as to why the Merlin HM1 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, only to be told I wasn't logged in. :{ :{ :{

So I'll just say this.........Merlin HM1 replaces Sea King HAS6. Contrast and compare them, particularly in terms of sensor capability.

Merlin (http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/merlin/)

Sea King (http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/seaking/index.html)

All the senors are hugely more capable. The area of sea that can be sanitised by a Merlin is several times larger than that of a Sea King.

fagin's goat
29th May 2004, 16:00
WEBF - any amount of capability is useless if it is grounded (even for a 'brief period'). Merlin build up has been far slower than anyone expected; the current problem will doubtless cause even greater headaches with training throughput, operational programmes, etc, etc. How much longer can the RN wait to have the ASW and ASUW capability provided by Merlin restored. What is the cost v output equation?

Vage Rot
2nd Jun 2004, 22:21
We Fanatic

Especially when the Merlin actually gets into the sea to make sure it's sanitised!!!!

Doh!

Colonel W E Kurtz
3rd Jun 2004, 03:49
From what I heard during sea trials the launch cycle of the Merlin takes so long that it is incompatable with the launch cycle of the Harrier.

This means that the Merlin and Harrier cannot both operate off a CVS!

As a result the decision has been taken that the merlin will operate off of RFA's in Convoy with the CVS!!!!!!!!

Can you believe this stuff?:mad:

Oggin Aviator
3rd Jun 2004, 15:43
From what I heard during sea trials the launch cycle of the Merlin takes so long that it is incompatable with the launch cycle of the Harrier.
Not quite true. It is actually quite quick off the deck when it is fully serviceable. I think the reason for putting them on the RFA's is to do with space, if the CVS has a full complement of FA2/GR7/SKW.

There has always been issues with operating fixed and rotary assets off the same deck. Any U/S helo stuck on the spot (for example unable to fold the rotors) is going to screw up the FW programme.

Plus the RFA's are a lot nicer to live on !!

Melrin Dip
3rd Jun 2004, 17:39
I can't stop myself from replying to the 'sh@%e' above invented by those whose sea time can only be measured in ferry crossings.

I have done Ship Helicopter Limit Trials (SHOLs) in both the Sea King and Merlin.

Which is more capable - THE MERLIN
Which scared me the most - THE SEA KING
What is better at night in the pitch black with 4 metres of swell and 30ft of dec movement - THE MERLIN

The Merlin is second only to the Lynx in terms of ship compatibility and manoeuvreability.

The point made above about CVS and aircraft types hits it on the head. Prior to Merlin introduction to service as soon as the GR7s came on board the HAS 6 Sea Kings were kicked off to the RFA. Actually the RFA (both Wave Class and Fort Class) are better platforms and are better in nearly all respects than a CVS for a unit to operate from.

On a totally different note a colleague of mine recently serving with the Army in Bosnia told me how much they liked the Merlin on real ops in comparison to the Puma. He's not a pilot and drives ships for a living.

Merlin will carry on and beat the world whatever those who like to shoot crap at it form the ignorant outside may like to say.

:suspect:

Twinact
4th Jun 2004, 12:21
Army in Bosnia told me how much they liked the Merlin on real ops in comparison to the Puma

Considering the Puma is about to go out of service in the near future, I'm not suprised. However, the Merlin is almost 3 times the size of the good old Puma, but lifts about the same and costs a fortune. It ought to be better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's this real ops **** anyway?

Merlin beat the world - only because the politicians say so - not its ability!

WE Branch Fanatic
4th Jun 2004, 13:15
Are we talking about the grey one or the green one? If its the former, then the operators are impressed by how capable the sensors are, and how well it handles on deck.

However.....

1. Is it possible or desirable for the Merlin to be fitted with the HMG pod, given the current threat from small surface craft?
2. Is it possible for the Type 23 Frigate to carry both a Merlin and a Lynx (for Sea Skua and machine gun capability)?
3. The Italians have armed their Merlins (or whatever they call them) with anti ship missiles. Will we do the same?
4. It is planned that out of sixteen T23s, only twelve will receive Merlin and the new 2087 towed array sonar. Given the ship handling problems associated with towed arrays, isn't Merlin a more serious thing to not get. Shouldn't they at least get Merlin?
5. Is the Junglie Sea King 4 replacement likely to be a Merlin, or is the V22 Osprey a contender?
6. Is Merlin or V22 more likely and/or more desirable for MASC?
7. Broadsheet 2003 mentions that RN aircraft did mine hunting sorties during Operation Telic. It does not say whether this was Lynx or Merlin? Surely no sane person would advocate looking for mines with a sonar suspended directly under the aircraft? Or would they? Or were they referring to an optical hunting role?

Spur Lash
4th Jun 2004, 15:14
Twinact

Puma still has 6 years left.

Merlin can lift with 3.5 hours fuel and still lift a ton. The forthcoming upgrade will give it an extra ton on top.

I think you'll find that killing cattle to 'prevent' BSE has cost more than the procurement of the Merlin. Off topic, I know, but it's worth throwing in an obscure fact now and then;)

Twinact
4th Jun 2004, 18:16
Sorry we got off the thread of the obsolete grey aircraft and started talking about the obsolete green ones.

My point is that a Chinook sized aircraft ought to be doing better than a Puma !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3.5 hours fuel and it can only lift 10 men - Jesus Christ, that's hardly impressive for 3 engines and millions of pounds.

Puma OSD? Will you take bets on 6 years?

Chairborne 09.00hrs
4th Jun 2004, 18:19
I know this thread is about the Merlin, but......

Spur - If the Puma has such a short service life ahead of it, why acquire those 6 ex-SAAF airframes? Will they ever enter RAF service, or is this a smaller and less well-known procurement FUBAR? Just curious.

Vage Rot
4th Jun 2004, 21:16
Fit it with floats and an outboard motor and you stand a chance of making it back to Mother!!!

Fit a crew escape system and the crew stand a fighting chance of surviving those 'teething troubles' with this 'wonderful' panacia of a helicopter.

It might be great - eventually, however, it's not ready to be in service yet. (and yes, I have flown it)

Melrin Dip
5th Jun 2004, 12:31
"It might be great - eventually, however, it's not ready to be in service yet. (and yes, I have flown it)"

May I start by saying I feel your posts on this thread have been nothing less than partisan.

To continue:

1. Are you a qualified test pilot, air engineer or IPT wallah who has sat through hours of meetings, sometimes furstrated and sometimes angry - I have and am the former.

2. Have you ever flown in a grey Merlin on operational sorties in a war zone where it provided the only accurate and comprehensive surface picture available to the allies in the NAG during Telic - I know loads who have?

3. Were you intimitaely involved in the first accident enquiry process or have even bothered to read the openly available report - in service that is?

4. Have you flown the Merlin for 1500 miles across deserts and mountains at 10,000 ft at 130 kts , carried out in excess of 500 Merlin deck landings and operated it with cockpit temps >+60 deg C.

5. Have you then gone flying in a Sea King and realised what a old defunct girl she is ?

6. Have you flown any other aircraft that can operate in icing conditions throughout its flight envelope?

If not you are probably one of those nice Chinook drivers who will never accept there is another aircraft more suited to the roles it was given. And having been in a Chinook Mk 3 I tell you the NAO were right.

On the Merlin Mk3 I will concede only 3 things - did the RAF need to buy it when they did and why, once they bought it, did they not learn any Mk1 lessons at all and ignore it till it came into service.

I don't suppose you will stop your considerable whining on this thread but I suppose you could be a Lynx driver - bad luck!

:cool:

Vage Rot
5th Jun 2004, 20:01
Yes, no, no, no, yes, yes!

Oh, and I'll prefix future posts with a 'tongue in cheek' smiley!

I'm not arguing it's pros and cons Vs other platforms - simply that it was not ready to enter service and is still not up the spec or the job.

1500 miles at 130 Kts eh? AAR capable too!!??

Still, a bite is a bite and all that!!

:p :D

WE Branch Fanatic
9th Jun 2004, 23:38
Nobody has answered my questions on the previous page - wonder why?

Navaleye
10th Jun 2004, 09:20
Webf,

I have some responses to your questions:

1. Is it possible or desirable for the Merlin to be fitted with the HMG pod, given the current threat from small surface craft?

>> I don't think a suitable pod exists as yet and if it did it would not be "integrated". We would still be in manually aimed environment. IIRC there are proposals to fit a .50cal pod to the Merlin. Quite why they chose .50cal beats me. Too light for junk bashing.

2. Is it possible for the Type 23 Frigate to carry both a Merlin and a Lynx (for Sea Skua and machine gun capability)?

>> No. Just not enough room. I don't think the Merlin will ever be cleared for Sea Skua. the T23 hangar seems narrower then the T22. I maybe wrong on this though.

3. The Italians have armed their Merlins (or whatever they call them) with anti ship missiles. Will we do the same?

>>No. but we should. Penguin would be an excellent choice, with good range and warhead size.

4. It is planned that out of sixteen T23s, only twelve will receive Merlin and the new 2087 towed array sonar. Given the ship handling problems associated with towed arrays, isn't Merlin a more serious thing to not get. Shouldn't they at least get Merlin?

>>I suspect the T23s in question will be "retired early" before too long eliminating the problem.

WE Branch Fanatic
10th Jun 2004, 21:02
Certain Type 22 Frigates carried both a Lynx and a Sea King. The Type 23 was designed with the Merlin in mind.

T22 beam = 14.8m.
T23 beam = 16.1m.

Surely a Lynx/Merlin combination would allow the Merlin to do anti submarine stuff and surface search, and let the Lynx concentrate on anti surface tasks - Sea Skua, HMG pod and boarding party insertion?

Bigtop
11th Jun 2004, 10:34
WEF - not sure which T22's you've served on but recalling from my days as a Sea King FLOBS I don't recall there being enough space for a lynx with the Sea King in the hangar! 2 Lynx yes but not one of each.
As for 23's there's barely space for all the GSE/ASSE with a Merlin embarked let alone anything else.

WE Branch Fanatic
11th Jun 2004, 11:02
Only from articles I saw in Navy News I'm afraid....

Cyclic Hotline
22nd Jun 2004, 17:01
From todays Rotorhub (http://www.shephard.co.uk/rotorhub/Default.aspx?Action=745115149&ID=8e8e3b34-0f04-49de-b2e2-b3ae2ea2251a)

EH101: new tail rotors send UK Merlins flying again

All of the UK’s EH101 ‘Merlins’ are being fitted with the latest version of the tail rotor hub – a move which should have both the Royal Navy and RAF fleets (39 and 22 aircraft respectively) back to full time flying within the week.

Chris Palmer, deputy chief of aviation, Royal Navy, speaking to rotorhub.com said that the preliminary results of the RN’s investigation into the crash of a Royal Navy EH101 at RNAS Culdrose (30 March) revealed that the aircraft had suffered “vibration sufficient to cause the failure of the hub and the subsequent detachment of a rotor blade.”

Tests conducted at AgustaWestland’s Yeovil facility in the UK with the new tail rotor hub fitted onto an RAF aircraft have satisfied the investigation team that all of the Merlins can be cleared to fly.

“Our aim in conducting a detailed investigation was to maintain crew confidence in the aircraft,” said Palmer. “We are fully behind the Merlin and consider it a fantastic aircraft to fly,” he confirmed.

Both the Italian and Canadian aircraft fleets have different tail rotor hub varients to those on UK aircraft.

junior tech
22nd Jun 2004, 18:20
The Canadian CH149 Cormorant has the same TR as the 101 Mk1 and 3. They have gone through the exact same mod program as the 101s but have got to the end of the mod chain more quickly.

I just though I would point that out in case anyone thought that the delay in UK Merlin flight was based on some fundamental difference between the A/C

Spanish Waltzer
25th Jun 2004, 19:08
I have on good authority that the RN had a Merlin 'turnin & burnin' down at Culdrose today.......not airborne but at least its a start. Culdrose has its airday in a week or so so there must be some pressure to get one airborne for that....

airborne_artist
25th Jun 2004, 19:30
Still very quiet at Benson though - tis a Friday though....

fagin's goat
25th Jun 2004, 21:03
Why is the 'way ahead' just sooo secret?? If Culdrose are getting their aircraft back in the air, what has been done to fix the grounding snag??

Any clues or even rumours on the street?

Leprechaun
26th Jun 2004, 13:50
Positive mental attitude time!!

The Merlin Will be up and flying next week!!

In a couple of years time we will look back at these forums and laugh that we ever doubted her at all!

Also we are missing the important issues here! The Merlin is the sexiest looking and sounding big helo in the world and that's what's really important isn't it!?:D

Melrin Dip
26th Jun 2004, 18:16
Dear Mr Goat,

Your are obviously one of those who can't read the thread so idlely slag things off for ever.

This thread says it all- i was going to repeat it but its all here.

Give your fingers and us all a break.

Stitchbitch
29th Jun 2004, 13:29
Only the sound of the mighty Puma ,and the occasional Wokka coming over to take the piss can be heard here today, hope you get back in the skies soon ;)

Flypro
29th Jun 2004, 16:47
TAKE COVER!!!!. A Mighty(expensive) Merlin circled over Culdrose today!:uhoh:

Triple Matched TQ
29th Jun 2004, 17:38
Nice to see the mighty MK 1 Merlin flying over the Cornish skies again.

No need to take cover - its fixed :-)

Is the Mk 3 airborne yet

Neil Porter
29th Jun 2004, 19:11
Think a 28Sqn machine landed back at Benson yesterday with a Yeovil crew on board....shouldn't be long now , been abit quieter around Abingdon since Merlins grounding so be good to see them here again :ok:

greenhaven
29th Jun 2004, 20:01
Whoopee!!

Merlin airborne again - let's hope 3+ months' worth of nebulous paperwork every day will soon be a distant memory...

zzz:

Any plans for an Air Day appearance?:

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2004, 21:04
Merlin Mk3 seen departing Benson to the SW at 2000 local tonight.

fuel2noise
1st Jul 2004, 05:38
Delighted to see the Merlin back in the skies of The Duchy converting fuel into noise in a beautiful manner... about time!!