PDA

View Full Version : VFR to IOM - what formalities are needed

tb10er
7th Apr 2004, 18:21
It's several years since I flew to the IOM.

I am planning a jolly over there (probably ex LPL). Apart from a flight plan, do I still need to let the police know and if so, how much notice is needed?

The last time I did it (pre 9/11) I simply filled in a green card and stuffed it under the special branch door at LPL and IOM. Being a weekend I guess that it was not read till I was back and work and the return journey was just a memory.

Thanks

bookworm
7th Apr 2004, 19:03
In principle if you go from Liverpool, you don't need to give notice because it's a designated airport.

In practice, you might want to give them a bell in advance. I've always found SB helpful, polite, constructive, happy to be informed but not always experts on the relevant legislation!

A and C
7th Apr 2004, 19:31
Dispite LPL being a designated airport you will still have to fill in the green cards but no notice is required due to the designated status of the airport.

And dont forget the liferaft !.

IO540
8th Apr 2004, 09:55
The Special Branch are busily trying to tell everybody that they must be advised (they like to use the word "permission") of any travel to/from the IOM, Ireland (N/S) or the CI, regardless of the mainland airport being a "designated" one.

Immigration is the latest one. They sent a letter to UK airfields recently insisting they are advised of any arrivals from the EU as well as non-EU. This was news to most people.

Where does one get the green card from? I've never seen one of those. The form I have used is the A4 sized one "GENERAL AVIATION REPORT" which one faxes to each of three fax numbers.

Brooklands
8th Apr 2004, 12:51
The green (and pink) cards seem to be in addition to the GAR. Their use may depend on where you're flying from. Whenever I've flown to the Channel Isles from Wycombe (EGTB) we've had to fill out the green cards on departure and the pink ones on return. From what I recall they want details such as name, address occupation etc. Wycombe isn't a designated airport, so these cards may be part of a local arrangement.

Brooklands

barksy
8th Apr 2004, 20:12
Isle of man end you will need a handling agent. The best option will be Manx Flyers Aero Club or Island aviation the latter only really handles biz jets. Manx will sort out SB, landing fees, also have cars for loans. Contact no. 01624 825999
Have a nice flight!

A and C
9th Apr 2004, 07:56
It depends which police force area you are in the Thames Valley police use green and red cards.
Other police forces use different forms , all require the same information.