PDA

View Full Version : Help

nexusix
7th Apr 2004, 17:30
Hi, new pilot here, Im in the process of finding a really good receiver at a reasonable cost. What do you guys recommend?

BRL
7th Apr 2004, 18:15
Hi, welcome to the forum. I can recommend you title your threads a bit more than one word such as 'help'.

Reason for this is a lot of people will not even read the thread as it stands but if you write a bit more info in the title then you will get a lot more results. In fact, I know a lot of people will deliberately not look at threads with names like this.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy browsing the forum and find it usefull.
Brl.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
7th Apr 2004, 20:47
Hi Nexusix,

If you are flying, I’d suggest a transceiver, rather than a receiver, that way you have back up comms if the aircraft radio quits. It’s a bit more expensive at this stage, but well worth it. You can still use it as a receiver.

Sporty’s Pilot Shop sells the SP 200A, which does lots of useful things and covers the 8.33Khz channel spacing, handy for when we get it inflicted on us all! They also do a receiver only version which is somewhat cheaper.

Another receiver only type is the Yupituru MVT7100. It covers everything including Air Bands, Marine VHF, SSB, AM & FM, 100Khz to 1650Mhz. A good all round receiver, but relatively expensive. I’m not sure where you’d get one of those in the ‘States. A cheaper aeronautical bands receiver is the Maycom AR108. Again, I’m not sure where you’d get one of those in Sunny CA.

Hope this helps.

Safe Flying
WKW

nexusix
7th Apr 2004, 23:08
BRL, sorry for the non specific topic. Im also probably on the wrong topic forum. :D

WKW, thank you for your reply and recommendation. I will definitely check out the SP 200A and the Yupituru MVT7100. :8

Sensible
8th Apr 2004, 00:20
Well it just so happens that you are pretty close to where I purchased my transceiver: www.avionicswest.com
I would suggest that if you are taking up flying that a transceiver is the way to go, it's amazing how often a transciever as apposed to a receiver comes in handy. As Whiskey Kilo Wanderer says, it's a back up if the comms fail on the airplane. As far as the type, go for the most expensive you can afford. I purchased the Icom IC-A22 which is a first class piece of kit but now superceeded I think!

nexusix
8th Apr 2004, 20:02
Thanks sensible, im thinking about getting the ICOM IC-A5. What do you think?

Sensible
8th Apr 2004, 23:53
I guess that will do you fine. I got the IC-A22 because it will track VOR's but in reality it doesn't work well in an airplane and I wouldn't be looking for that feature again. I don't know if the IC A5 picks up the weather channels as the IC-A22 does, I find that listening to the weather channels is a real help for flight planning in advance of a weather briefing (1-800-wx brief)

Whirlybird
9th Apr 2004, 11:39
I recently got an Icom A22 off Ebay. The ones on UK Ebay go for high prices, but if you look at the ones on Ebay available TO the UK, those in the US are a lot cheaper, even with shipping. I got mine for about £150; I had to pay duty on arrival, and the charger wouldn't work in the UK so I had to get one of those, but even so the whole lot only came to about £200 - and they're around £300 new!

nexusix
9th Apr 2004, 20:13
Thanks for all the input everyone. I ordered the I-COM IC-A5 from www.avionicswest.com great price and customer service. The only difference I found out between the IC-A22 and the A5 is that the A5 doesnt have the VOR capabilities, the rest is the same. Shipping only took 1 day too! Got it for $270 including tax/shipping.:ok: