PDA

View Full Version : Getting a degree, while flying?

YVRKid
6th Apr 2004, 23:23
Bonjour(Hello),

Ive decided to ditch the Air Force route for becoming a pilot, mostly because, im not that type of person, and leaving the Air Force when I'm 35 is all that pleasing. I have a question though, After I obtian my PPL, and graduate from high school, what do i do? I want to get a degree, most likely in languages, because that can help me greatly in getting a job as a pilot. Do colleges like Mount Royal College in Calgary, or Selkirk, offer degrees, or just diplomas? Would i have to get my CPL and other licenses while im going to university seperately? Any advice about how to go through this part of life would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

YYZ to POS
7th Apr 2004, 00:20
What's up YVRKid...

I'm also an aspiring pilot. I've decided to pursue a degree in languages at York University here in Toronto and plan to do my flying in the summer months. PM me for more info or my msn.

---YYZ to POS

YVRKid
7th Apr 2004, 01:22
Check ur PM please:)

richie-rich
7th Apr 2004, 06:18
its u again YVRKid>? :eek:

I have done most of my training while at uni and am still doing it. I usually do it when I have those 4 month holidays. A good time to relax and engage yourself into something you enjoy doing.

glad to let u know more should u wish.

Saami

hibypassratio
8th Apr 2004, 15:09
I beleive UWO in London, ON offers a degree and Moncton Flight Collgee was working on one with UNB. Both flight programs are very solid.

Another option if you want to get working earlier is a correspondence or online degree. I never finished my uni degree and I would like to do it.

A guy I used to instruct with, like me, hadn't finished his degree. He was flying up in thee territories somewhere last I heard. He was working on a degree with Athabaska U, a strictly on-line institution and fully accredited. Lot's of free time in some jobs in this biz, especially in this biz. My coporate job gives me tons of time. I guess once my ATPL's are signed off I will have no more excuses.

bafanguy
8th Apr 2004, 20:33
It may be that things are different up there and I've learned as much from a few posts in this forum. But, in a tough job market, where many, many people have good(and basically equal) qualifications, the guy with the degree MAY have the edge in the job hunt...something to consider. Do you need a degree to be a pilot ? Absolutely NOT. The people who pioneered this industry never saw the inside of a college classroom. This is a field where experience is paramount, but the pencil monkeys in the employment office don't always have a real-world view. Good luck to you.

Latte tester
9th Apr 2004, 02:49
YVRKid, sorry to hear that you have 'canned' the Air Force route however, your desire to obtain a degree should be commended. I would ask yourself one question, how am I going to gain the flying experience, hours etc while in school and after graduation?
Flying isn't cheap and although a degree is a great thing, it will not get you hired if you don't have the flight time, especially in this climate of mass layoffs and downsizing.
You have loads of time to formulate a plan of attack, make it a good one.
Good luck:ok: