PDA

View Full Version : RT in German

PhilD
6th Apr 2004, 11:29
I'm planning a trip to Austria and Germany next month, and one of the airfields I want to stop (Rothenburg ob der Tauber) at is listed in Bottlang as (ge), so it's German only....

As my German is non-existent, does anyone have a link to a cheat-sheet of circuit calls and other common phrases in German, so I can do some learning?

Thanks

Penguina
6th Apr 2004, 12:57
Sounds like a job for WestWind to me...

WestWind1950
6th Apr 2004, 14:55
You're right, Penguina ;)

hallo Phil,

Rothenburg is a fairly popular field. Of course primarily German will be spoken there, but I'm sure the guy in the tower speaks English. If not, then there is surely someone there who can since many German pilots love to fly to other countries and must be able to speak English. I wouldn't worry too much. Learning just a few phrases won't really help much since the pronunciation may end up being different then you expect (it's in Bavaria, you know :p )!

If possible, check for their website and send them an e-mail about when you plan to be there so they're prepared and have an English speaking person on the mike.

Have fun on your trip!

Westy

BEagle
6th Apr 2004, 15:22
Ah - language problems. Which reminds me of a true story....

An elderly German family was on a driving holiday in Southern Ireland when they committed some minor offence, for which the husband was hauled up in front of the beak. But the old chap didn't understand much of what was going on, merely shaking his head politely and saying "Nich verstehen". Eventually after much confusion, the magistrate had a thought. "Now then. Would any of youse be speaking German?" he asked of the public who'd come to watch. Amongst whom, taking advantage of being in the warmth and out of the rain, was an infamous local rogue called, shall we say, Mulligan. "Ah, Mulligan, now you'll be speakin German, then, would you?" enquired the beak. "Oi would sorr, so I would" acknowledged Mulligan. "Well now, would you be coming down here and asking this gentleman his name?" asked the beak. "Dat oi will, sorr, dat oi will" replied Mulligan, before wobbling uncertainly down to the front of the court. But it was clear that all Mulligan's 'German' had been learned from old war films and 'Battler Britton' comics, for he merely stood in front of the somewhat bemused German before glaring fiercely at him and bellowing in his best schoolboy Gestapo style "ACH, SO. VOT ISS YOUR NAME?" in a cloud of secondhand Guinness fumes.

Uproar ensued, the magistrate decided that he couldn't possibly put the German chap through any more misery and dismissed the case.... "But you, Mulligan, you are fined five punt for contempt of court!" he finally announced as the German was led out of the court.

But do try to speak a little German at the aerodorme. It will be appreciated, I'm sure!

FNG
6th Apr 2004, 18:17
Don't shout "Achtung Spitfeuer!"

Following on from Beagle's famous and (of course) true tale, I assume that you've heard the ancient one about the BOAC pilot lost on the taxiways at Berlin in the 50s?

Seriously, you need to know when the others in the circuit are saying "downwind" and so forth. You could try Babelfish, but it can be a bit literal minded. Having said that, many words translate from German to English or English to German rather more literally than is the case with Romance languages such as French or Spanish.

Keef
6th Apr 2004, 20:39
I could tell you the standard circuit calls in "Hochdeutsch", but I suspect that in RodT it''ll be rather different.

"Grüetzi miteinand, redet hier jemand englisch?" would be your best bet.

PhilD
7th Apr 2004, 06:56
Thanks for the replies. I'll dust off the phrasebook, and give them a call before I set off, so at least they can warn the circuit traffic of the incoming foreigner.

mad_jock
7th Apr 2004, 08:26
I did a bit f flying in West Rhienland and had absouletly no probs with the language. Apprently East germany is getting there as well.

All the twr guys are very good at english and most Germans under the age of 30 have very good spoken english. Most use it on there holidays abroad. We had a few Germans who spoke English to each other many because the discussion was technical but also because they didn't understand each others regional variations. Bit like broad NE Aberdonian and anyone else 10 miles outside the fishing village.

My boss at the time when i explained i couldn't do overtime due Deutsch classes. Said that if a germen couldn't speak english they proberly wern't worth talking to.. which i thought a bit harsh

Another trick is to pretend to be French. Most Germans will go to great lengths to speak English just to piss you off. After the war (don't mention the war := ) the country was split up into sectors which the kids were meant to be taught either French or English as a second language. Most areas which were allocated French just ignored it and had secret English schools.

MJ

BEagle
7th Apr 2004, 09:46
And DON'T mention the war!

That's not being funny - it simply isn't very courteous to your hosts.

Keef
7th Apr 2004, 10:53
I know several Germans who have two languages - German and Russian. They're all learning English now, tho.

FoxRomeo
8th Apr 2004, 09:24
@ PhilD

Just my humble piece of advice. As stated above you'll certainly find someone able to speak English either in the TWR or in the circuit. If all fails, you could ask Langen Information (127.975 MHz) to announce your flight to the airfield via landline and get you the information needed (RWY in use, failures, special use of airspace, the likes ...). Thereafter "downwind", "base" and "final" are understood by every one.

Have a nice trip,

FR