PDA

View Full Version : PNR or ANR

Chocks Wahey
6th Apr 2004, 07:39
I posted on here about a month ago about upgrading my DC's. Looking about on the net it appears that the cost of ANR headsets are now quite competative (DC excepted). Companies like Pilot and even Harry M are doing cheap ANR sets. Does anyone have any experiences of these cheaper ANR's and if so what are they? Good or Bad and what are the pros and cons.

Chocks Wahay
6th Apr 2004, 12:36
Don't fall into the "if it isn't DC it isn't any good" trap. My Pilot ANR set is excellent, and the Lightspeed ones have a good rep too. There are also ANR conversions available for DC headsets, might be worth considering.

Nice nick btw ;)

Sassenach
6th Apr 2004, 12:39
I agree with Chocks about the Pilot DNCs. They are a lot more comfortable than the David Clarks and have integral batteries (with the David Clarks, you have to lug a seperate battery box around with you). I would recommend that you go for the optional gel ear-seals - if the seal between the headset and your head isn't vey good, the noise cancelling goes a bit wonky.

Brooklands
6th Apr 2004, 12:58
I used a kit to convert my Peltors to ANR, and have been very satisfied with the results. It isn't a very difficult job to do if you're reasonably happy wielding a soldering iron. Alternatively the suppliers will fit the kit for you for about £20 - £30 more. If you want to know where to get them please let me know (I'd post a link, but its a commercial site, and the mods may not approve)

Suppliers are Adams Direct (http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/), and this is the conversion kit (http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?group=Headset+Accessories&modelno=ANR%20Kit%20Self%20Fit). Fitting by the suppliers is £48, if you don't fancy doing it yourself

[ 8-Apr-2004 13:40 Edited to add links and fitting charge]

Brooklands

FNG
7th Apr 2004, 15:19
Diverging somewhat from the thread, are there now, or are there likely soon to be, wireless headsets? These would be a particular advantage in aerobatic aircraft, given the need to avoid control restriction.

PS: a very quick and half hearted surf suggests that there is no such thing at present.

BRL
7th Apr 2004, 16:04
Bluetooth headsets, now there is an idea........:8

Brooklands, feel free to place a link, go for it. :)