PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Manchester, UK

marts
5th Apr 2004, 15:18
As far as I can see, there are only 2 flying schools in and around the Manchester area. Barton and Manchester Airport. Going further away there are others like Blackpool and Leeds - but barton is only 15 mins away, and Manchester is 5 mins away - so these would be ideal for my PPL.

Does anyone have experience of these schools in terms of obtaining a PPL.

Obviosly Barton works out cheaper (one factor is landing fees), and the other advantage of Barton is that its not a commercial airport like Manchester - so theres no waiting for slots.

Theres a small handfull of posts already in pprune about Manchester and Barton - just wondering if anyone has experience with either schools.

Thanks
Martin

silverknapper
5th Apr 2004, 15:33
Marts

I have never trained at either but having flown from commercial airports I would strongly advise avoiding it, due to the very reason you said. MAN is a busy airport, you'll be waiting for ages to get off the deck and will end up orbiting on the way back waiting for a gap.
I have flown with Liverpool Flying school which was a good outfit, reasonably priced, however that was 2 years ago and I know that LPL is becoming increasingly busy too. Nowhere near that as MAN though and it's only 20 mins from MAN.
Your best bet is trying the private flying forum for this as there are a lot of guys there very up to speed with schools in that area.

SK

mazzy1026
5th Apr 2004, 15:51
Ravenair at Liverpool has a very good reputation and I will be doing my PPL there shortly. You have the benefit of learning in controlled airspace and it's not overpacked like Manchester.

Best of luck

Maz

marts
5th Apr 2004, 16:20
Thanks silverknapper

I've created a post in the private forum as suggested.

Jodel Hugger
5th Apr 2004, 19:40
Hi,

I'm doing my PPL with LAC Flying School at Barton and am really impressed with the the school and the airport. I had a few lessons about a year ago with MSF at Manchester amd found that we were always holding and kept having to fly for ages before we started the lesson. At Barton you taxi a short way, do the power checks and take off straight away - the tower are really good and dont keep you at the hold for no good reason:ok:

You also keep the same instructor and most are instructors, not people wanting to be airline pilots, I think most can do your tests as well, meaning u dont wait to get someone who can test you.

I went to Blackpool with my instructor two weeks ago, which is a lot bigger then Barton, so you still get chance to go to the big airports.

There are also lots of Jodels, they are what I will buy a share in when I pass ! Ive never ever seen a jodel at Manchester Airport!!;)

silentwitness
5th Apr 2004, 20:53
Echo what Jodel said. LAC at Barton is an excellent school.

Junior Flash-Up
5th Apr 2004, 22:59
Right, let's get a few facts straight shall we? As an FI currently operating at MAN I can tell you for a fact that there are no slots whatsoever for GA operations here, and as for holding for "ages", about one arr/dep in ten gets held for more than five minutes. ATC are superb and will do everything they can to fit us in and are, contrary to popular belief, not in the slightest bit anti-GA. They're running a trial procedure now during dual-runway operations where we land on 24L or 06L which means no orbiting at all.

You also keep the same instructor and most are instructors, not people wanting to be airline pilots, I think most can do your tests as well, meaning u dont wait to get someone who can test you.

Jodel Hugger, you are talking utter :mad: . Nobody waits to be tested at MSF, and there are seven FIs in total, only three of whom have airline aspirations. I'm telling you now that none of the three of us take our job any less seriously than any so-called careerist/part-timer. Got that?!

Marts, if you haven't already, then go and visit the clubs in question and form your own opinion!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Apr 2004, 09:24
Despite what J F-U says, go to Barton, no contest. You WILL encounter delays at Manch (I've flown in and out lots - used to be based there years ago when it was quieter), you cannot do circuits there, and you have to go to Sleap or Liverpool for most training. Within the Manchester zone your training will be confined to flying to and from the zone boundary (and going round in circles at Hilltop or Rostherne!).

At Barton you can do continuous circuits on site, with no landing fees. If you don't like your landing, take off immediately and try another - you can't do that at Manch even if you were happy to pay another landing fee.

There are NO advantages to flying from Manchester, and plenty of disadvantages compared to Barton. The only problem you might encounter at Barton is winter flooding of the field, but that is rare these days - probably more rare than a limiting crosswind at 24/06 - only Manch.

And Barton's cheaper per hour, and probably thousands of pounds cheaper per PPL course.

SSD

marts
6th Apr 2004, 09:59
Thanks for everyones input.

I think Barton is the one. I had a trial flight there back in January, and had a great time. Its only 15-20 mins drive away which is acceptable, and it seems to work out cheaper for everything. Hopefully I should have some funds available soon to start my PPL.

I've already purchased the AFE PPL books - just starting to read through the first one . . . I could be some time :)

Thanks
Martin

Sir George Cayley
6th Apr 2004, 13:33
why MSF dont operate before 11.00 local ?

LAC will have already flown a complete set of student details by then?

Sir George Cayley :p

silverknapper
6th Apr 2004, 15:12
JFU

I think you are being deliberately misleading. 1 in 10 GA aircraft experiences delays due to operating out of one of the busiest international airports in the country, working on a full time, 9-7 summer flying schedule!:mad:
No one accused MAN ATC of being anti GA, I've met very few controllers who are but they have a job to do and so if there is an Emirates or MYT or anyone else for that matter vying for an arrival with a PA 28 who do you think will get moved?
Your doing the right thing Marts, especially with summer scedules kicking in soon.

craig1975
7th Apr 2004, 16:25
I've been associated with private training in manchester/liverpool area for around 4 years. Barton are good and advantage of being at the airfield, therefore no landing fees, however, they are on grass and therefore the field is often closed due to water-logged. Also, their training costs are high as they have no competition.

I have done a lot of training with MFS at Manchester and think that they are very good and very professional instructors, esp 2 of them (I will give names if you want). However because of the high overheads they are expensive (£128/hr & £15 landing fee). In addition you are restricted on the hours you can take-off/land, after 11 and before 6 on some days.

I would however strongly recommend Liverpool. This is a training airfield therefore the competition is high, therefore lower costs. Ravenair are very good (flown with them) however Liverpool Flying School are excellent, very professional and cheap (£82/hour) on a PA-38.

As I say, I have been associated for about 4 years, therefore know quite a bit, drop me a PM if you want anymore info.

Good luck

Craig

marts
8th Apr 2004, 08:15
Hi Craig,

The only problem with Liverpool is that its about 45 miles from where I live, Barton is 14 miles. (Manchester is 4 miles).

I still think Barton is the best choice for me - location, costs (even though Liverpool may be cheaper). I've had a one hour trial lesson in a 172 at Barton and enjoyed it.

I'm still in the process of getting the funds together to gain my ppl - this should be sorted in the next few weeks. Ideal time to start hopefully.

Thanks for the information though. Every bit helps.

Martin

craig1975
8th Apr 2004, 12:03
No probs,

I like Barton as they are good and friendly.

One bit of advice which is a mistake I made, is to make sure your ground school doesn't get in the way of your flying - consider before doing your flying to get some of the exams done - esp the Aircraft Tech exam OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck - may see you on airfield some day

PA38
12th Apr 2004, 18:55
I live in north Manchester, and did my PPL at Liverpool and now fly from Sherburn.
If I had to do it again I would go to Sherburn, the money saved from the cheap flying more than covers the travel cost's.
Plus the staff are friendly and very very helpful.
http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/

flyingdoc
12th Apr 2004, 23:08
I had trial flights at Barton and Manchester and I'm now learning at Manchester. Would have tried Liverpool but MAN is a 10 minute drive, Liverpool much further.

I don't want to bad-mouth anyone but I wasn't impressed with Barton - won't go into it in detail but I went into the trial flight enthusiastic and came back almost totally deterred from learning to fly. However maybe I was unlucky, obviously Barton is very popular so it must have something going for it, although a couple of others I've talked to had similar experiences to mine.

My trial flight at MSF was totally different. I've always found that everyone at MSF is friendly, knowledgable, helpful and professional and my enthusiasm was restored by the trial flight there. OK it'll never be as cheap as Barton, you do occasionally get delayed, and you have to go to Sleap for circuits. But I've only once had to hold more than 5 mins waiting to take off and there have only been a couple of times when I've had to orbit for long before landing. And I enjoy going to Sleap for circuits.

My suggestion is try a trial flight at both, or at least go and check them both out.