PDA

View Full Version : Which club to join?

too_sleepy
5th Apr 2004, 10:57
Hi

I'm about to join one of the flying clubs at Dublin airport. The only real difference between the clubs is the aircraft.
The Dublin Flying Club have two Pipers, 1972 and 1977 PA28, one is a complex aircraft which I thought would be a great help preparing me for my commercial.
http://www.geocities.com/dubflyer/Aircraft.html

The Airport Flying Club have two Cessna 172s, 1980 and 1982. They are not as old as the Pipers and are a little cheaper at 115 Euros an hour.
http://www.airportflyingclub.com/FrameAircraft.htm

Any recommendations.

FlyingForFun
5th Apr 2004, 12:29
I assume you are looking to do your PPL at one of these clubs?

How many instructors does each club have? How many students? How far in advance do the aircraft and the instructors get booked up? Will you be able to hire from them once you get your PPL? Have you spoken to instructors from each club? If so, was there a particular instructor you got on well with on a personal level?

Sorry - no personal experience of either of them, but hoepfully this has given you some ideas to help you make up your own mind. From the limited information you've given me, it sounds as if Dublin Flying Club only have one aircraft suitable for PPL training - is that correct? If so, I would count that as a negative - if it goes tech, you're stuck without an aircraft. But there are lots more factors to consider than just that.

FFF
-------------

too_sleepy
5th Apr 2004, 12:38
Thanks FlyingForFun

The only real difference between the clubs is the aircraft. The availability of the aircraft and instructors, even cost is almost the same.
I have my PPL and would use the clubs to hour build before starting my commercial training. The only aircraft I have experience of is a 25 year old 152 so what I really need to know is would I be better off flying a newer Cessna, or is the chance of flying a complex and a good rate a better choice.

Thanks

FLYbyWIT
5th Apr 2004, 13:37
Check your PM's