PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth Old Warden

vintage ATCO
5th Apr 2004, 10:44
Anyone contemplating visiting Old Warden this year for either on a display day or just to visit the museum should read AIC 13/2004 (Yellow 127) for the procedures. It also gives all the display dates for this year.

We'd be pleased to see you.

Kolibear
5th Apr 2004, 11:45
I seem to remember reading that the runway was going to be flattened/graded/re-turfed or whatever you do to grass strips? Did it happen or when is it scheduled to happen?

vintage ATCO
5th Apr 2004, 12:15
It's due to happen after this season, that is why there is no display in October.

Maxflyer
5th Apr 2004, 13:36
Is it worth a visit on a non display day?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
5th Apr 2004, 13:45
Is it worth a visit on a non display day?
Yes.

Flew up for the day last September. Lots to see (assuming that you enjoy looking at old aircraft!). Virtually the entire collection ( and it fills several hangars) is maintained in airworthy condition.

Of course it is also good to see them flying and I will go to one of the display days this year. The problem for me is getting back to base before my home airfield closes. Can always drive, I suppose ....

TallGuy.

221B
15th Jul 2004, 11:45
I am planning to fly into Old Warden, and have got copies of the procedures from the AIC and Shuttleworth website - but cannot find the AIP entry, although I am sure that I have seen one before.

If my memory has not completely failed me, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alternatively is there a map of the site available anywhere? - the descriptions are OK, but you can't beat a picture!

BEagle
15th Jul 2004, 12:09
A query - do the 'slot times' refer to landing or overhead arrival times?

I read all the stuff this year and arrived in the overhead at exactly the right time to make my landing time after following the 'mandatory overhead join' requirement. Was therefore rather miffed when someone else barged in downwind, outside their slot time and then flew half-way to the North Sea to set up the usual White Waltham style long final approach...... Whiskey Zulu - you know who you are!

If it says 'Overhead Join Mandatory', vATCO will you please direct such people to do so in future?

On another point, it says in LARGE LETTERS on the departure brief that one should not call on RT before ready to cross to the holding point. So I did as it said on the brief, started, taxyed and was just about to call with a request to cross the short to the hold when someone in the tower beamed a red at me and then said "We didn't get your taxy call". Please amend the brief to be more accurate (if that's what you want people to do) - and include a decent aerodrome map if possible.

AerBabe
15th Jul 2004, 12:37
I still haven't managed to get to Old Warden for more than a fleeting visit. Lowtimer and I flew in last spring, but arrived just a few minutes before it closed. I'll add a proper trip to my list of aeronautical challenges for this summer.

treadigraph
15th Jul 2004, 12:53
IF you are there for a display, Airbedane normally gets an anouncement aired by the commentator for a PPRuNe gathering, usually abeam the bar!

221B
15th Jul 2004, 16:15
Have now located a map in an old (2001) Pooleys, but thought there might be something more up to date available.

Will hopefully be there on 1 Aug for the display, arriving in an R44.

rotorcraig
31st Jul 2004, 19:23
Have the map in my 2004 Pooleys, will bring it in the morning :D

RC

AerBabe
31st Jul 2004, 21:16
My first proper trip to Shuttleworth is finally going ahead - I'm off to the Flying Proms. Thanks for the invite guys! :ok:

Ripline
2nd Aug 2004, 08:44
My thanks to all at Old Warden who put on such a splendid show and made us feel very welcome!

14 balloons and crew had our own hold area and spent a very happy day watching the Collection's aircraft do their stuff until we had our own mass launch just after 1900. At the pub afterwards everyone agreed that is was pretty special and hope that it can be repeated!

One or two Ppruners were there as well who knew that VintageATCO was in the Tower: thanks for the ATC stuff and hoped that you also enjoyed the sight!

Ripline (Flying G-BXLP)

Man-on-the-fence
2nd Aug 2004, 14:00
Not very good but this is what it looked like

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/04photo/ow0108/balloons.jpg

221B
2nd Aug 2004, 15:56
We managed to find the airfield despite the haze - Many thanks to everyone involved for a fantastic display.

vintage ATCO
3rd Aug 2004, 19:44
Ripline

It was very nice to see you, and much of the crowd thought so too judging by how many stayed on to watch you launch.

Photos here http://www.stevelevien.com/ow_ball.htm

VA

Ripline
3rd Aug 2004, 20:10
vintage ATCO

You, Sir, are a Gentleman!

Many thanks for these, it's rather hard taking photos of one's own launches.

Next time, if you would like to join me, there's a reserved place in la nacelle for you.

Happy Landings

Ripline