PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever fly in IMC in UAS?

Phil Rigg
4th Apr 2004, 23:44
If so, I'd be very interested to hear the conditions under which IMC & IR rated pilots are comfortable flying in IMC in uncontrolled airspace.

I'll share my thoughts shortly .....

Many Thanks,

Phil

Keef
5th Apr 2004, 00:02
Yes, I do. If I can get a radar service, I do so.

Otherwise, it's a big sky. Avoid honeypots (the overhead of VORs, for example) and avoid altitudes that are a round multiple of 500.

I've had some scares in CAVOK day VFR - sometimes my fault for not looking out hard enough, and sometimes sheer volume of stuff about on a nice clear day.

IFR in the open FIR, with radar service, it's rare for there to be anything else in the cloud with you.

Freezing level permitting, I sometimes prefer to be in cloud than below it, precisely to avoid the lemmings.

Timothy had some statistics about the number of air-to-air collisions in IMC in the open FIR. I think it was "zero since records began" or something like that.

Chilli Monster
5th Apr 2004, 03:24
Only about 100% of current UK IMC holders.

Like Keef I have no problem with it. If it's a choice between below 3000' in VMC or above in IMC I'll go high every time. Why? Because there's less traffic up there and it's safer. If I can get a radar service all well and good but if not, and if airspace allows I'll go up on top (if possible) with no radar as the risk is diminishing the higher you go.

Follow the rules, plan it properly beforehand and it's no problem.

Timothy
5th Apr 2004, 07:24
As ever, totally agree with my mates Keef and Chilli.

Keef is right to say that actuarily you are much safer (actually infinitely safer) in IMC than VMC when in Class G / Open FIR. Civilian collisions just don't happen in IMC. (Don't know about military).

As I often say, if I am flying in MiG Alley (either that between BIG and OCK, or that running BKY - BPK - BNN) on a summer's weekend with a 2000' cloudbase you will find me at 2250' in cloud, in preference to everyone else's 1950' in VMC.

And, although radar is a big contributor to safety and peace of mind, I do the same whether or not a radar service is available.

Timothy

stillin1
5th Apr 2004, 07:27
ditto
yes, when ever I need to fly IMC I do so ,in or out of CAS. Outside of CAS I still always take a radar service to ensure safe separation from other ac. There is no issue here.
I also take a radar service if VMC too - ATC see so much more than you will and I think looking the gift horse in the mouth a daft idea. The comments from Keef and C Monster are worthy of note - go high, get VMC on top and avoid areas of likely congestion where the lemmings congregate (IMHO that includes the below 3000' band VMC too!). :cool:

S-Works
5th Apr 2004, 07:53
I pretty much always fly in IMC that way. Generally I try to get on top and enjoy the sunshine. If a RIS is available I will always use it but otherwise I am happy to be master of my own destiny!!!

I had one near miss a year or so ago when flying quadrantal rules had someone come close enough to see them in the wispy stuff but otherwise trouble free!

I tend to feel safer in cloud as your average PPL will not be flying in it and those that are able to are generally savvy enough to follow the rules.

yawningdog
5th Apr 2004, 08:36
bose-x, Wow, that must have been dam close.

S-Works
5th Apr 2004, 08:49
It was certainly a bumb clenching moment! But a miss is still a miss!