PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical re a/c design & construction

Tinstaafl
4th Apr 2004, 17:04
I was watching a show recently that endeavoured to build da Vinci's glider using traditional methods & materials.

It made me wonder what sort of a/c would be possible given our current aerodynamic & technical knowledge but limited to using techniques & materials of, say, 500 or 1000 years ago.

Your thoughts?

Bre901
4th Apr 2004, 19:18
I guess that aiframes could have been rather evolved (e.g. : all-wooden Mosquito)

It would be hard building lightweight and robust engines, though.

OzExpat
5th Apr 2004, 07:55
I'm surprised at you Tinny. There's already a prime example of the pricise thing... it's called an Islander! :}

Tinstaafl
5th Apr 2004, 17:30
Steady on, Oz. I said 500 or 1000 years. Not 2000. Although the thought experiment could be set at anytime. Copper age, anyone? We could invoke a BN2A then! :p

Bre901, that's the point: How does the technology of the era limit what could be done, and how to work around those limitations.

For example, I think a reasonably competent hanglider is feasable using bamboo + silk cloth. Ditto parasails & conventional gliders. Not sure that 500 or 1000 years ago that plywood was available?

Power is a very difficult one. Steam thrust was demonstrated in ancient Greek times. Perhaps some sort of steam engine is feasable with available metalurgy.

lineboy_nz
6th Apr 2004, 16:44
Aero engines out of the question given materials.
They'd glide further.
They'd carry more weight.
They'd last longer.
But compared with the horse-drawn-carriage, they'd get left behind like beta video casette.

Effects on flyin' in 2004? Negligible to zilcho.

oh yeah, they'd be easier to turn.