PDA

View Full Version : ATC Nostalgia

TC_LTN
3rd Apr 2004, 17:23
Following a brief discussion in 'another place' I wonder if anyone could help me with my fading memory;

I thought the original Anglia Radar was at Neatishead? I may be wrong but wasn't that the unit name when the disgruntled Airman tipped a jerry can full of fuel down the steps and struck a match? The reason this rings a bell is because when Anglia Radar #2 was established at Stansted many years later and doing a very different task, some of the original staff from Neatishead objected to the title being reused since people had died at the original location.

Another, even older, ATCO suggested "It (Radar Data) may have been piped in from somewhere (I thought it was pre-Neatishead) for a USAF-specific Anglia Radar task from Wethersfield. In the overall scheme of things it fitted in with Eastern (Watton), Midland (North Luffenham), Northern (Lindholme), Southern (Sopley) etc etc "

I may be completely wrong with my memories about this but would be very interested if anyone could put me right.

And another one;

Who remembers the 'Southend Aerobatic Area'?

Where was it, who was it for and who controlled it?

Obvious answers need not be posted;)

paddyboy
3rd Apr 2004, 17:28
Thought it was Watton?

PADDY:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Apr 2004, 20:11
On the Southend aerobatic bit, Ian Callier ex-EGLL will almost certainly know.

chiglet
3rd Apr 2004, 20:42
Was posted to Neatishead [just] before the moron tried to be a "hero":rolleyes: , so ended up at Patrington, the home of "Fighter Command Diversion Cell"..... and the "Northern Radar" co-ordinator.
After I left the Mob, I think Border Radar were still at Boulmer, Highland had yet to move to Buchan, and I had never heard of Anglia, but this was 1968......:zzz:
But I remember as an Assistant on Pennine Radar, handing things over to Anglia [Stanstead] and to "New Anglia" [Aberdeen}.
Know as much about Sopley as I do about Aird Uig [sp]. Hope this helps
watp,iktch

Steamhead
3rd Apr 2004, 20:48
Southend Aerobatic Area - Remember it well
A small area up to 5500 ft overhead Hanningfield Reservoir.
Easy to orientate and great fun in the beagle pup cica 1975

TC_LTN
3rd Apr 2004, 21:28
I think I may have answered one of my own questions! A Google search revealed the following;
http://www.bentwaters.org/photab/anglow1.htm and
http://www.bentwaters.org/photab/anglow2.htm

Quite amazing!

TC_LTN
4th Apr 2004, 07:43
I wonder if anyone can identify these three civilian ATCOs at Anglia Radar in 1968?

http://www.jhs.flyer.co.uk/3civvies.jpg

niknak
4th Apr 2004, 22:34
Neatishead is (in the very near future) going to become another Government defence cut, but this time a cut that's completely justified.
It's just a shame that they spent all that money recently refurbishing the place. :rolleyes:

Timothy
5th Apr 2004, 07:05
It's crying out to be one of those greeting cards, innit?

Something like "Albert and Winston rushed over when Cedric cried 'I've finally shot Lara's bra off!'"

Timothy

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Apr 2004, 07:43
I can't positively identify any of them... but they all look like jolly spiffing sort of chaps to me - just like me, in fact!!!

Tower Ranger
5th Apr 2004, 16:19
I can`t identify any of those fine fellows but the kit looks very like what we`ve been using untill recently and it`s alot more ergonomic than what we have now, anybody got any cheap secondary we can have??

PPRuDe
6th Apr 2004, 09:07
TC LTN

Hi you may find something of interest on this site..a historical lookat Air Defence radar
http://www.radarpages.co.uk/

regards

Topofthestack
6th Apr 2004, 14:16
As far as I'm aware, ANGLIA RADAR MK1 was at WATTON and was funded by the USAF with British ATCO's. A guy I worked with started ATCO life there, but, unfortunately, is no longer around to ask!

Cuddles
6th Apr 2004, 20:27
As one of the current crop of Anglia Radar controllers, I can safely say that I do not recognise any of the chaps in the picture. However this history is intriguing. I shall watch with interest.

D8. Thanks for the pointer

AlanM
6th Apr 2004, 20:48
MMMMmmm, I remember missing a penalty in the Mil ATC 5-a-sides in 1988 at RAF Watton, against the home team, Eastern Radar.

I am 99% sure it was Anglia previous to that.

paddyboy
6th Apr 2004, 21:40
Cheers AlanM,

My initial thoughts have been confirmed.....

'Thought I was going mad there for a bit' (Father Ted quote!!!)

PADDY:ok:

SirToppamHat
6th Apr 2004, 21:42
NIKNAK

What money would that be then? Can't say I've noticed any refurbishments, apart from a few road repairs, but that always happens when a unit is due for the chop!

In your opinion, a chop justified on what basis?

Is Anglia Radar still 'Anglia', or are you guys now calling yourselves Aberdeen?

Regards

STH

driver 8
8th Apr 2004, 09:16
It's still 'Anglia Radar' although I have heard them calling themselves 'Angular Radar' and even 'Angola Radar' the other night ;)

jabberwok
11th Apr 2004, 02:52
AlanM

Possibly, but you would have to go back before 1971. Watton was already Eastern Radar when I was posted there in November that year.

We used the Type 82 on site but also had access to the Neatishead feed.

JB

Point Seven
11th Apr 2004, 19:39
1971 was probably the last time that AlanM was slim enough to play football.

All those AAVAs and rich living....

P7

Bright-Ling
11th Apr 2004, 20:54
....says Mr "I work in ops and print my own money" P7

disgraceful

B-L

Point Seven
13th Apr 2004, 18:24
Bright

The money printer is available for all those that get off thier bun slinging asses and put their head above the parapet.

Now shall I go to New York on my next days off, or Cape Town...?

P7

AlanM
14th Apr 2004, 06:38
Cape Town matey. Definitely. Best city in the world.

(yes - even better than Lincoln)

Alan
Penalty taking hero.

VP8
14th Apr 2004, 11:45
Alan M

Mil ATC 5asides there's some stories to be told there along with canadian funspiels in Lahr :D

VEEPS