PDA

View Full Version : Joining at Goodwood

paulo
3rd Apr 2004, 16:13
If 24 is the active and one is coming from the south (past the west side of Chichester), what join would people recommend given the houses / noise abatement?

Evo
3rd Apr 2004, 16:25
If you're flying north past the west side of Chichester, then i'd fly what would effectively be a wide crosswind join for 24 (due to noise abatement there isn't really a crosswind leg as such, you fly 270 after takeoff before turning to 060 downwind).

Just avoid flying over the houses to the west of the airfield, and then turn downwind as normal.

paulo
3rd Apr 2004, 16:43
Cheers Evo - (If the weather is up to it I'm taking Charlie Golf for playtime over Selsey Bill tomorrow.)

Evo
3rd Apr 2004, 16:50
Great aeroplane, Charlie Golf, got a fair few hours logged myself. Just don't aero over Selsey, the locals will moan, Ford or Thorney Island are the usual places.

Don't worry about the rejoin, it's obvious from the air. Whatever runway is in use, they prefer you to avoid base or straight in joins (obviously it's a FIS so they can't stop you), but apart from that just avoid the housing estates...

Forecast is pants, supposed to be flying tomorrow myself but don't expect to :(

paulo
3rd Apr 2004, 17:11
Will probably go Thorney Island way then - I was just looking at that nice big segment with the 10k+ limit. Not that I need that kind of altitude. :)

I did the same join a few weeks ago, dual, and it did indeed seem fairly obvious. The choppy air off the hangars on short final was made sure I was awake though. :ooh:

Thanks for the tips - are you planning to fly from Goodwood tomorrow?

Evo
3rd Apr 2004, 17:24
Planning on it, yes - got the aeroplane booked in the morning. If it's flyable i'll try and pop into Vectair and say hi. If it's windy i'll probably stay in bed :)

24 can be interesting. It's usually a nice approach over the house, but it's definitely my least favourite when the wind gets up. On those days it's usually a very bumpy final approach with a fair bit of sink on short final and then the effect of the hangars that you noticed. The hedge can start to seem quite big at times.

paulo
3rd Apr 2004, 17:56
I'll be there at 3, so paths might not cross. I think I'll be flying from there alot this season so should catch you at some point for a natter and some mutual Robin appreciation!

foxmoth
3rd Apr 2004, 20:00
Actually the correct join for 24 is either FULL over head join, ie. overhead at 2,000' and then fly 180 to let down on the dead side (south) of 24 and OVER the downwind end of the runway, OR (and how I would fly this myself) is to join crosswind BUT over the downwind end of the runway - NOT a wide crosswind, but as you would if you had joined overhead (and keeping a good lookout for anyone doing just this). You COULD even join on a right base, but this tends to be if you are REALLY happy with what you are doing and where everyone else is.

paulo
3rd Apr 2004, 21:15
fox, do you mean specifically at Goodwood?

foxmoth
4th Apr 2004, 08:11
Not specific to Goodwood,What I am basically doing here is thinking about it as a standard overhead join, here you would let down on the dead side of the circuit and THEN come over the upwind end of the runway as described - nothing new or specific to Goodwood about it, just a standard join, but as you are already on the dead side coming from the south you can let down before you reach the airfield and join straight on the crosswind section. You are inside all the houses so no noise problem.
Also you might like to note that most of the runways have turns for noise after Take off
Just one other point, circuit height at Goodwood is 1,200'.
See you there sometime.
;)

greeners
4th Apr 2004, 12:12
Just a small note of caution chaps. The good people of Thorney are a litte tired of people aerobatting in their vicinity (I met with the 2i/c there), so I would counsel using as healthy a base height as you can get away with in your aeroplane!

And yes, I do appreciate that our Extras ARE amongst the noisiest! I attended the Goodwood Aerodrome Consultative Committe recently and explained that we try very hard to vary the location of our activities wherever possible. The reception was actually very good, but we are never going to please all of the peoplke all of the time! ;)

trevelyan
4th Apr 2004, 16:48
aaah but I reckon your Extras are alowed to be the noisiest, purely because the soooo dead sexy looking.

Anyway greeners, surely you must have seen all those caravan parks above your spinner and shouted "guns, guns guns" a few times.....?!!:cool:

See you soon

Jules:ok:

Evo
4th Apr 2004, 17:37
While the locals who will moan at anything are annoying - and there are plenty of them - we don't help ourselves much either. I'm in Lavant* most weekends and watch plenty of Goodwood-based aeroplanes (especially dark blue PA28s!) whose pilots obviously can't be @rsed with noise abatement. I grew up in Lavant and people know I fly, so i'm permanently getting moaned at - and to be honest most of the time i've got to agree.

It's a bit more understandable if you're arriving from elsewhere (less so when you're departing as the ops desk give you a circuit chart). If you're local it's just lazy.

Sorry, rant over now. I just got moaned at again this afternoon... :*

* for the non-locals it's a village on short final for Goodwood's Rwy 14. If you're taking off on 32 you're supposed to turn to avoid it.

trevelyan
4th Apr 2004, 18:24
most weekends and watch plenty of Goodwood-based aeroplanes (especially dark blue PA28s!) whose pilots obviously can't be @rsed with noise abatement.

Agreed Evo, there isnt any excuse for the dark blue ones, or any other colour for that matter - if you are familiar with the field then you know where the noise turns are, if you arent familiar then it should be part of your arrival planning, its clearly explained in Pooleys.

Anyway, beer next weekend?

Trevelyan:ok:

paulo
4th Apr 2004, 23:04
What an interesting afternoon it was.

I think I've got the 24 noise abatement departure pretty much perfect now.

Went out kind of between Selsey Bill and Thorney, and had lots of fun. Everyone else was scraping around at 2000ish, but we had happy play at 5000, above the layer but still very much legal as the 2500 SCT/BKN wasn't there out over the coast.

Going home was a bit more dramatic. Train got stoned by some idiots, four carriages had windows holed, blind woman with head injury in our carriage got tended to by my mate who came flying - a paramedic in his odd moments.

The police and ambulance were really thankful that someone had stepped in to help before they'd got there. Train people even said we could have a taxi back to london on them (we declined - Hove to London by cab was going take ages, and besides which we fancied a pint after all that)

Quite a day.

172 driver
5th Apr 2004, 08:58
While the locals who will moan at anything are annoying - and there are plenty of them - we don't help ourselves much either. I'm in Lavant* most weekends and watch plenty of Goodwood-based aeroplanes (especially dark blue PA28s!) whose pilots obviously can't be @rsed with noise abatement. I grew up in Lavant and people know I fly, so i'm permanently getting moaned at - and to be honest most of the time i've got to agree.

Actually, the main problem seems to us to be a bit different to what you're suggesting.

We currently get almost all our compaints from Lavant when runway 24 is in use. At first glance this shouldn't make sense as 24 doesn't point in that direction, but it seems that many pilots overcook the noise abatement turn on 24, flying over Lavant rather than going through the gap between Summersdale and Lavant.

If this is what's happening then it isn't so much a case of pilots not being bothered but pilots failing to properly understand the correct procedures - and even trying too hard!

We've made sure that the procedures are published in all the guides (including recently having the charts added to the AIP) and, as you say, we give all pilots copies of the circuit plans. We also have reminder signs at the hold points. I'm always open to suggestions of what else we might do....

Evo, when you got moaned at yesterday was it about yesterday's traffic or another day? Call me in the tower, if you like.

Alastair Mackinnon
(Aerodrome Manager, Goodwood)

Evo
5th Apr 2004, 09:17
172 driver, you've got mail

paulo
5th Apr 2004, 23:37
Alastair,

I'm new to the field but am guessing that 24 departures should aim for the gap between the main residential, and the smaller block just to the north of that.

(On the Jepp/Bottlang it shows as 'Mid Lavant' but charts and names aside, from the air it's fairly clear regardless - there's a gap to go for)

Thanks for a nice welcome to a field newbie. I learnt a few things this weekend and didn't have to feel *too* guilty when you guys pointed them out. :)

Cheers,
Paul