PDA

View Full Version : Military Flight

Jimmenycricket
1st Apr 2004, 20:27
Hi. I am a student in Canada. I have always wanted to be a pilot in the Canadian military. My only problem is that I have corrected vision. Is there anyone out there who may know whether or not I can still be admitted, and what I would have to do?

slpilot
2nd Apr 2004, 15:30
The answer in Short...NO...20/20 UNCORRECTED, unless you have been in the military before. I wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force as well, on the dnd website is a pdf file recruiting pilots BUT it states Uncorrected vision requirement of 20/20 and no you cannot have laser surgery for correction.

Site for info: http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/pilot/index_e.htm

Jimmenycricket
13th Apr 2004, 20:10
I am aware of the 2020 requirement, but does "untrained applicant" mean that you have no airforce training, or does it mean that you have no flight experience? I ask because the website says that they are desperately short of pilots right now. If I have 2000 hours of flight time, do I count as "trained"?

Also, what type of vision do you have? I am nearsighted. I have heard talk about a contact lens that you wear during sleep that acts as a kind of 'retainer' for your eyes, pulling your iris back into the correct position to allow you to focus properly. Has anyone else heard of this, and do you know what effects it has on night vision, etc?

Huron Topp
15th Apr 2004, 14:00
"Untrained" means untrained militarily. Other experience means nothing. Don't bother trying to fool the docs, it won't work and only brings the possibility of disciplinary action.

Back in the day I was in the same boat as you. Go Navigator...I did.