PDA

View Full Version : Updated Trevor Thom books?

Rugz
1st Apr 2004, 14:56
Just a bit of advice needed please.

A couple of years ago, I was about to start my PPL and bought the first three Trevor Thom books (Flying training, Aviation Law and Meteorology, Air Nav). Circumstances arose that stopped me from doing the PPL, which I put on hold until now.

So, now that I'm about to start my PPL, I've just noticed that these books have been updated.

Mine are dated 1999 and 2000. Is it worth selling these and buying the latest versions or will I be okay using the ones I have?

FlyingForFun
1st Apr 2004, 15:13
Well, an aeroplane still flies the same way. The weather has worked in the same way for many millions of years, and sailors have used the same navigation methods that you'll learn for thousands of years. I can't see that those books could be very much different.

Air Law, on the other hand, does change from time to time. If you're tempted to buy the updated books, I'd suggest that this is probably the only one worth buying.

That's from a position of not having seen the updated versions, though, so I might be talking complete crap!

FFF
----------------

skydriller
1st Apr 2004, 16:51
Rugz,

I had the dubious pleasure of doing my PPL exams etc. when everything changed from CAA to JAA, and I could only get the Old style CAA Thom books (probably yours). I was the first student to do the JAA system at that flying school and did fine on everything except the Air Law. I got my Air Law second time around at 90% if I recall and missed it the first time by one question. After the fail I got one of the instructors to go through what I had got wrong and why (I was later told this wasnt really allowed, but by then it was too late;) ). Basicly everything I had got wrong wasnt covered by the book, though there were references to 'this is extract, read full document at AIP sect.4.4.blahblah', but then I was also told that I should have been reading more broadly from the AIP/AIC etc. anyway and sure enough I found it was in there - after alot of searching!!

The point Im making (though probably badly!) is dont worry about it, what you have is just fine, as the books are just a grounding anyway. As FFF says, Met, Nav & Flying an aeroplane dont change, Air Law is the toughie for everyone anyway and you will probably be able to get your hands on past papers or the JAA-PPL confuser at your flying school to fill in any gaps - You also have the advantage of pprune:D

Best of luck with your PPL,

SD..

J.A.F.O.
2nd Apr 2004, 12:58
There is also a cheap online way to check your level of knowledge which is very up to date and extremely useful. I don't intend to advertise it here (even though I'm not involved in any way with it).

If you want details PM me.

I agree with the above, it's only the air law book that might need updating and even that's only a might.