PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2002

Evo
1st Apr 2004, 12:22
A couple of years ago sennadog started a thread about the "Class of 2002" - PPRuNers who got their PPL in that year. There were quite a few. Some are still posting here regularly, some appear from time to time, and some, including, it seems, sennadog, have disappeared from PPRuNe.

Now there's this old statistic that most PPLs stop flying soon after getting the licence, and only <insert some small percentage here> ever make it to their first revalidation (or is it renewal? never can remember). So most of us should have bitten the dust, but, for the rest of us, as we're all coming up to the two years, what are the 2002-ers up to now?

Will be interesting to see how many of the names from the original thread (once I track it down!) are still here...

shortstripper
1st Apr 2004, 15:02
Interesting EVO.

It makes me wonder about everybodies year and perhaps a poll? I might be interesting to see what was the most popular year, which year "appears" to have survived the best ect ect, umm ... how do you start a poll?

SS

I should have said ... so I'm editing it in now ... PPL passed 1991

Papa Charlie
1st Apr 2004, 15:14
I got mine in early 2001 and doing about 50 hours a year. Does that count towards your statistics? :hmm:

FNG
1st Apr 2004, 15:14
May a member of the Millennium class butt in? I obtained my licence in 2000, started spouting nonsense here soon afterwards, and am still going. I have just revalidated my licence for the second time. Next year I have to shell out for a new licence, as although mine is a CAA one, it's a five year rather than lifetime one (the rules on that being changed just as the JAA licences were coming in)

Evo
1st Apr 2004, 15:51
All welcome! You're unlikely to quit flying and still hang around on Private Flying (AB apart, I hope) so there aren't going to be statistics worth a damn. I was mainly wondering what happened to some of the people who used to be of this parish.

FNG - I didn't realise that I needed a PPL to spout nonsense. I guess I did drop a '7' from my name sometime around the time of licence issue; I'll blame him 18 months of my earlier ramblings, but I'm not sure who I can blame the rest on.

Still, if you're all going to be here then you all might as well post some flying content - maybe it'll explain why you're still going strong while 89.3% of your contemporaries have given up in disgust. Or it might at least prevent this from getting sent to the Agony Aunt forum :)

FNG
1st Apr 2004, 16:05
Tut, tut, solo nonsense pre licence issue, but it's your instructor to blame. Because I was taught by some dude from the RAF, my licence includes a banter endorsement and I'm type rated for pink aeroplanes.

PS: Turns out Aerbabe was feeding us fish curry, after all.

iainpoll
1st Apr 2004, 16:44
Hi,

I was one of the class of 2002, and remember the thread well.

I have not posted much recently, in fact I've spent the last 2 months in the U.S. upgrading to a CPL. Have about 200 hours now and about to embark on the dreaded IR :uhoh:

I seem to remember 2002 with a little bit of a haze, as thats when we started having the famous private flying bashes! Been a while now since we had one of those :ugh:

Whatever happened to some of those charaters I wonder.....Sennadog, Grim Reaper14, G-SXTY, Seat of my Pants etc..

Iain.

nosewheelfirst
1st Apr 2004, 17:02
22 Aug 2002 passed my skills test, now have 116hrs although only 33 of those are P1. I joined my UAS and have been learning all over again but this time with some aeros and low level navigation thrown in :) Going to join a new club this year and hopefully do some touring this summer with my PPL friends, Channel Islands here we come and possibly a short stop in France, went to Blackpool last year :ok: done too mutch to give it up and can't understand why people do suppose it all comes down to money in the end.

skydriller
1st Apr 2004, 17:10
Class of 2000,

One of the first JAA PPLs at the school I trained at as I remember.....

Regards, SD..

englishal
1st Apr 2004, 17:24
A yes, a millenium edition here too.....Was even offered the choice of a CAA PPL or JAA PPL by the CAA.....FOOL THAT I WAS......and not knowing any better.

Ah well, still got it, valid until 2006, and hope someone will start paying me to fly before then:D

EA

skydriller
1st Apr 2004, 17:27
Englishal

Not wanting to be picky, but how come yours is valid until 2006 if you got it in 2000:suspect: Im sure mine is only valid until 2005:hmm:

Regards, SD..

englishal
1st Apr 2004, 17:34
Its a special one ;) Nah, I meant the CoE is valid for two more years, but I still have to pay the £100andsomethingquid in 2005....

Charlie Zulu
2nd Apr 2004, 04:20
Passed my PPL GFT and NFT in late 1998 and only having the CAA PPL issued early 1999 due to wx and having to get my QXC done (had to be done last back in those days).

I'm nearly at my third SEP revalidation that is due in September this year and have been flying 100 or more hours per year.

I have sort of upgraded to an FAA CPL/IR since gaining my CAA PPL but stick a G on the side of the plane and I'm still only a CAA PPL/IMC/Night.

No plans to hang up my goggles, even though my bank manager would prefer me too with all the money I'm spending on the JAA ATPL writtens and CPL/IR courses over the next year or so.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

englishal
2nd Apr 2004, 06:22
I have sort of upgraded to an FAA CPL/IR since gaining my CAA PPL but stick a G on the side of the plane and I'm still only a CAA PPL/IMC/Night.
Hmm, me too, without the night, but thats irrelevant as I can fly at night using my FAA privileges ;)

EA

DRJAD
2nd Apr 2004, 07:19
Hmmm, don't know if I really qualify in this thread, but here goes.

Got my NPPL at the end of 2002. But then JAR-PPL and IMC in 2003.

About 150 hrs now, and no plans to give up. Probably start the FAA/IR soon.

foxmoth
2nd Apr 2004, 07:34
Taking this back in time a bit I got my PPL in 1971, I have since gone on to bigger things but still fly light aircraft so I think I can qualify for this. I imagine someone will easily beat me on date, but it would be nice to see if there are many around from my era.:=

Hampstead
2nd Apr 2004, 07:55
Got my PPL in 2002. Added , IMC, NIGHT, MEP and recently went mad and bought a N-reg Commander. Now going mad trying to decide whether to convert it G-reg and slog through a JAA IR or take the FAA route.

Aim Far
2nd Apr 2004, 08:08
I was a late entrant to the class of 2002. Since picked up an FAA IR and now use it (in its IMC guise) in my T67M pootling round the countryside notching up the next 250 hours. Still got the bug...and a bank (lack of) balance to match.

MikeJeff
2nd Apr 2004, 10:32
I was a 2002 Graduate, although had no recollection of the thread - Got 100hrs (ish) and off to the US to do IMC and finish Night Q next week - hurrah!

knobbygb
2nd Apr 2004, 12:42
I was one of the 2002 lot too- passed 11th December.

Still pretty much doing the same thing - added another 50 hours since then, but no more ratings/qualifications. Been to a couple of prune fly-ins and a mini-bash, done the renting in USA thing, flown a couple of new (but still common) types. Flown with several students I've met on here (including the one off THAT thread) and those have been the most enjoyable flights. Not enough money to do more really, but the passion is still there so I won't be one of those that fade away before 100 hours (have 98 now!). Still feel the buzz each time I walk up to the aircraft.

Still spend more time on prune than in an aircraft, too :confused:

Evo
2nd Apr 2004, 12:51
Realized that I haven't said what i've done :O

Passed Sept 2nd, 2002 after 46 hours - now up to just over 100, so that's one milestone. So far i've done an IMC (mmm, ok I suppose, but that's for another thread), not enough aeros (the most fun i've had in an aeroplane :D :D) and a taildragger checkout (highly recommended!) - now own a fifth of a PFA tailwagger with a motley collection of other PPRuNers ;)

Unlike a surprising number of others i haven't started a fATPL :)

Still haven't flown myself to a PPRuNe fly-in though, although i've been to four. Closest i've got is Stoney Cross, en-route to Compton, before the wx made me turn around :(

edit: interesting that most of the survivors from my era have flown a significant number of hours since licence issue - most are around the 100 mark now, and assuming that you passed with around 50 that's well above average... maybe that's just self-selection again; Private Flying is going to attract people who are still Private Flyers

TB10 Man
2nd Apr 2004, 13:46
May 2001 JAA PPL, July 03 IMC currently 160 hours in total. I thinkt he only reason I have kept going is I bought into a group early on (Jodel), the pride of part ownership meant I wanted to fly the plane to let her do what her makers intended. Since then migrated via a Maule to a TB10 and still happy doing 40-50 hours a year having fun. Unlike a lot of you guys, no plans to do FAA IR for a couple of years.

vancouv
2nd Apr 2004, 16:14
I got my PPL in 2002, and am just coming up for my 2 year renewal. Done about 100 hours now, but what with working and the weather find it very difficult to fly as much as I would like.

Started a night rating twice, both times ran out of night due to wx cancellations, and also started but not finished an IMC.

I do find that I enjoy flying with another pilot most of all - it's much harder on your own, and can get a bit boring.

G SXTY
3rd Apr 2004, 10:34
Still here mate - just not quite one of the class of 2002.
Skills test in Jan 2003, around 85 hours now and about to take the plunge with the ATPLs.

Is it time for another bash then? Where are you BlokeinanArcher? :}

Red Chilli
4th Apr 2004, 22:14
Class of 2002 here - ppl Oct 2002 and have since added a night rating (fantastic - finished that on Dec 17th, the flight aniv. day) and now also have around 100 hours. Looking to do IMC and aeros and a taildragger checkout and.....well definitely the first two this year. Also not flown in to a bash yet, but will do - cheers :D

proplover
5th Apr 2004, 11:43
Class of 2002 as well - JAR-PPL @ 45 hrs. Part owner of taildragger and up to 94hrs now after a few periods of no flying.