PDA

View Full Version : Approach rating

qwerty2004
1st Apr 2004, 11:11
Anyone got any idea how much it is to buy your own approach rating, or have any contact details of colleges that run courses?

Cheers.

Qwerty2004

stillin1
2nd Apr 2004, 16:07
I think you pay for the course, which you still have to pass. Buying the rating is a little optomistic! :rolleyes:

Damocles
2nd Apr 2004, 16:44
qwerty,

Check your PM's friend - could be your lucky day :ok:

Spitoon
2nd Apr 2004, 16:51
I'd double-check that qwerty, what with the new European Harmonised licence lots of the sensible rules seem to have changed.

Serious answer for stillin1 - I think the only approved course is run by ASTAC (http://www.astac.org.uk/company.html). I don't think the NATS College of knowledge does a UK Approach Procedural course anymore. Sorry, I've no idea of the cost.

vintage ATCO
2nd Apr 2004, 17:45
I've got one you can have! Little used, one careful owner!! :D :D :ok:

2 sheds
3rd Apr 2004, 09:04
Qwerty

Before committing yourself to the cost, double-check whether it is a worthwhile investment.

Where do you hope to work? Do they have radar? And if so, do they still require an Approach Procedural Rating? The "rules" on the latter have recently been relaxed for those units with radar.

If you are intent on spending a shedload of your own shekels, an Approach Control Surveillance Rating (Approach Radar Control in old money) would probably be a better investment, BUT either way you need to have a master plan of where you are going to get a unit endorsement.

ILS 119.5
6th Apr 2004, 04:20
You can have mine. Never used, not needed and worth f***k all.
Why is this outdated rating needed? SRG need to pull thieir fingers out and sort this out.

Chilli Monster
6th Apr 2004, 04:27
ILS 119.5

Why is it required?

Plymouth, Swansea, Wick, Kirkwall, Inverness, Oxford, Cranfield, Biggin Hill, Shoreham etc etc etc

Plus

All civil airfields with radar without the protection of CAS who may often spend time going procedural for reasons of unserviceability or manning.

Answer your question ;)

CM (who DOES use his procedural approach rating sometimes).

Spitoon
6th Apr 2004, 18:10
ILS 119.5, one day, maybe, that wonderful radar picture may disappear (after all, it just a like a telly really - and they're pretty reliable these days but mine packed up without warning the other day). If you are unlucky enough to be faced with a blank screen I hope you can remember some of what they taught you. And while you're at it, take your blinkers off for a minute and look at what other controllers do.