PDA

View Full Version : Grounded

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 06:57
I'm hanging up my goggles. I do love flying, but I don't have the time or money to fly regularly enough to consider myself safe. In the 2.5 years I've had my PPL I think I've flown about 6 hours P1 and only several more hours dual. Even the tailwheel conversion has taken me 1.5 years so far.

It's a difficult decision to make. It's incredibly frustrating to look at my log book and see the months in between each entry. Whenever I get into an aircraft I remember the basics, but the navigation, R/T and emergency procedures are all a bit of a haze. I've talked to my PPL instructor about this & he just brushes it off, saying I'll have no problems, but I know my abilities... or lack of.

I'll still hang around here and maybe one day I'll start again. But for now I'll just have to dream. :sad:

Evo
1st Apr 2004, 07:13
I hope this is somehow related to today... :(

TonyR
1st Apr 2004, 07:15
Where are you and we'll come and take you for a spin.

FNG
1st Apr 2004, 07:17
I'm sorry to hear that, Aerbabe. Hopefully , even if your licence lapses for a while, you will be able to renew it quickly once you are in a position to fly more often.

If you find yourself near White Waltham, you would be very welcome to come flying with me (not loggable, of course, as I'm not an instructor). No doubt other ppruners will make similar offers.

I hope that you continue contributing here, at least to the jokes.

TC_LTN
1st Apr 2004, 07:19
Good!

The more inexperienced pilots that elect to stay on the ground the better IMHO.

They are a bloody nuisance and clog up the airspace that keeps real pilots safe.

A few more people with this attitude would make my job a lot easier.

Well done and enjoy Scrabble.

Evo
1st Apr 2004, 07:41
You're welcome at Goodwood too :ok:

Papa Charlie
1st Apr 2004, 07:44
And welcome at SHoreham and Redhill as well. :ok:

blagger
1st Apr 2004, 07:51
Have you ever considered joining an ATC Volunteer Gliding School? Many all over the UK are looking for instructors (I'm thinking motorglider - Vigilant - here) and you get loads of hours, get to instruct and do a rewarding task for the good of youth/aviation - and you don't pay for your flying. However, you will have to put in a significant commitment - generally at least 3 full days (sat or sun) per month, but it is worth it. I average about 80hrs a year, and many people average a lot more.

Regards,

Blagger

stiknruda
1st Apr 2004, 08:05
And you are welcome to come back to my strip and fly my yellow toy, until co-owner has his wicked way and sells it.

Stik

ToryBoy
1st Apr 2004, 08:56
Come on chaps, can't you see she's going to announce at 12 noonthat it was "all a big joke".......:8

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 08:56
:{ You're all so generous... But if I keep flying occasionally it'll be worse. It's like being allowed to smell the chocolate cake, but not being able to eat any.

Phoenix09
1st Apr 2004, 08:59
It's like being allowed to smell the chocolate cake, but not being able to eat any. Well that is far healthier for you... :ok:

jbqc
1st Apr 2004, 09:42
You could always sell your body, I'm sure there would be a line up to join the mile high club with you.

JB

Evo
1st Apr 2004, 09:42
So what was the "new toy" on the LNS Fly-in thread then?

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 09:55
Thanks for the suggestion, JB, but I'm already using that money to pay the rent. :O
Evo - That is an investment - I won't be flying it, but it was an opportunity too good to miss.

Kingy
1st Apr 2004, 10:15
Well you'll have to wait till after Sat - cuz I aint doin the flyin luv !!

Cheer up :D :D

Your friend K

Kolibear
1st Apr 2004, 12:05
Well I'm sorry to hear that you've decided to throw in the headsets, AB, I hope you've not been listening to a mutual ppruner have you??

Its a sad fact that the vast majority of PPL give up within a few years of gaining their license, hopeful yours is but a temporary grounding.

But don't give up on flying with your friends, you enjoy it too much for that and being able to fly without having to worry about the tricky bits makes it so much more fun. Thats not my opinion, thats from lapsed PPLs who I occasionally fly around.

Contrary to what most students probably think, getting your PPL is the easy bit, its keeping it afterwards thats the hardest part.

Look forward to seeing you soon and yes, you are welcome to a trip in the Koli.

P.S. Can I have your white gloves please. :O

LowNSlow
1st Apr 2004, 12:37
You are welcome to a whizz around in the Auster when I'm home AerBabe. I would suggest that anybody taking AB aviating goes and talks to TC_LTN so she can keep her RT in trim but keep Mr. Subtle happy knowing that she isn't falling into the category where They are a bloody nuisance and clog up the airspace that keeps real pilots safe.

gooneydog
1st Apr 2004, 12:45
AB I had exactly the same prob right after my PPL and look where I've finished up Keep the dream

R

TC_LTN
1st Apr 2004, 14:01
Beginning to get a bit worried now:( My initial response was definately related to the date but it is well passed 12 noon and AerBabe has not reassured us that she was only kidding. As most people who know me would hopefully confirm I am very gentle with low hours, inexperienced pilots (I am one myself) and if AerBabe IS serious she is very welcome to practice her skills on me at anytime.

2Donkeys
1st Apr 2004, 14:05
I believe that the Babe herself will be at a Curry Bash in Epsom on the 23rd arranged by a notable local JP.

2D

TC_LTN
1st Apr 2004, 14:19
I must have misplaced my invitation :eek: Now where is it? Did I leave it in the Route Charges Office?;)

Please Timothy can I come and play?

2Donkeys
1st Apr 2004, 14:21
You'll find the invite at:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5358

2D

JB007
1st Apr 2004, 14:40
Very sad news AerBabe...

I had the same problem and simply just couldn't afford to fly after I completed the PPL but things really do have a tendency to work themselves out in life....don't loose the enthusiasm for it all and you'll be back airbourne before you know it...

Cheers
JB

Whirlybird
1st Apr 2004, 15:17
Aerbabe,

I thought you were going to do some cheap microlight flying? What happened?

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 15:35
Oops... sorry... :O I have had a manic afternoon & been unable to sneak back online!
Yes, it was a date-related thread, but very much based on real fears and worries about my (lack of) skills. I have just bought a share in an aircraft and I do intend to fly it. However, it's not that close to where I live now and I might be moving further away. Flying anything more expensive on a regular basis just isn't going to happen.
Do those flying offers still stand this afternoon? :p

And is anyone up for a curry in Epsom next week? I've been craving one all afternoon since I read that thread!

BRL
1st Apr 2004, 15:38
OOOOooooooooh you little tinker........ :D

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 15:56
Have I been very bad?

BRL
1st Apr 2004, 16:07
No, you have been very very bad, that will be 100 lines, "I will not make ppruners feel sad"........... (by monday morning.) :}

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 16:09
I will not make ppruners feel sad

Do you really want me to do 100??

It's easy writing lines on a computer; you just tape 10 keyboards together & type it in once... that gives you 10 lines in one go!

FNG
1st Apr 2004, 16:12
Well, I for one bought the fish curry. My only consolation for being caught out is that I persuaded someone to believe the NATS Mode S blah.

Lost_luggage34
1st Apr 2004, 16:14
Personally I would follow the aircraft.

Go fly - do what you enjoy.

Said partner will follow as appropriate.

Failed PhD - acceptable.

Lapsed PPL - NOT

Keef
1st Apr 2004, 20:40
You nearly had me going, then. I decided to wait till later... How many "hits" did you get?

Enjoy the curry with the Epsom Set. I understand some folks are travelling a LONG way to be there.

I'll be having a curry a few hours later, and about 5,500 miles further west.

Oh yes - did I tell you? I passed the MA. It's a bit of a jolt to the system not to be a student, after all these years!

ToryBoy
1st Apr 2004, 20:51
Hey

Congrats mate

We dont know each other but have one on me!!

Bottoms up old bean!!!:ok:

Charlie Zulu
2nd Apr 2004, 04:08
Phew... and here I was reading this thinking you were serious about not wearing the red "remove before flight" t-shirt you were wearing at Duxford last year... :O

Er no you don't know me but I was there (took Flower to the PPRUNE bash in the Beagle Pup).

Keef, Congrats on the MA and have a nice time flying the Arrer III around the States.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2004, 06:38
Keef - Very well done on the MA, I imagine it must be a great relief to be all done. Hopefully, this time next year I'll know how you feel. :( :ok:

Now, how's about this curry (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125130)?