PDA

View Full Version : VFR scan - IFR pilots

Capt. Manuvar
31st Mar 2004, 13:55
This is a question to IFR pilots, do you have trouble keeping you eyes out of the cockpit?
There a lot of grumbling about student pilots who use flight sims keeping their heads down in the cockpit and not looking out of the window. But do pilots who are IFR trained and current suffer from the same problem?
Capt. Manuvar

DRJAD
31st Mar 2004, 14:07
Its not a problem, IMHO.

FlyingForFun
31st Mar 2004, 14:18
Easy solution if this does become a problem is to get a few hours in something with very few instruments. Or in the back of something with tandem seating, where you can't see the instruments from the back seat. Very difficult to look at the instruments then!!!

FFF
-----------------

Flyin'Dutch'
31st Mar 2004, 17:33
IMO, pilots that can fly single pilot IFR are able to deal with a high workload.

Therefore when you are bimbling along in VFR there is so much spare capacity that looking out the window is not a problem.

FD

2Donkeys
31st Mar 2004, 17:59
There is a well-known problem amongst regular IFR pilots, not maintaining adequate look-out when operating either VFR, or under IFR in VMC, where the duty of see-and-avoid still exists.

I would be cautious about dismissing the problem out of hand, it's a good question.

2D

fireflybob
31st Mar 2004, 18:16
You could spend hours talking about lookout but what gets me are the guys who want a Radar Information Service when it's a gin clear day with 50 miles viz!!

Unless you have ever operated in very congested airspace I don't think you ever appreciate how important lookout is. When I did my CPL training in 1969/70 there was often 12 (yes twelve) aircraft in the circuit and at least 25 in the training area - you had to lookout as your life depended on it.

Good lookout habits are formed during initial flying training and whilst I am not a luddite there is far too much reliance on radio now and not enough on the mark one eyeball.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
4th Apr 2004, 11:11
As one of the guys who likes to have RIS, as well as looking out of the window (and TPAS as well), I recon I can’t see another light aircraft that is more than a mile and a half away.

There’s certainly no substitute for the MK1 Eyeball, as some aircraft slip past the radar service. As far as I’m concerned, all contributions to collision avoidance gratefully received.

Safe Flying
WKW.

Keef
4th Apr 2004, 13:47
... and under IFR, too.

A couple of years ago, I was flying as "safety pilot" for a friend doing some IFR refresher flying under the hood - keeping an FAA IR up to date. We were in Class B, with a radar control service, and in the hold for an ILS.

She was about to start the turn to the inbound leg of the hold when I saw a 172, at our height, approaching us from about 1 o'clock to cross our track. Radar didn't mention it, so I told her to maintain heading, not to turn. Good job she trusted me! If we'd turned, we'd probably have hit the 172.

We then told ATC, who confirmed nothing showing on their scope. A scary moment, which makes the point about lookout.

The aircraft we were in had poor-man's TCAS, but since the other aircraft wasn't squawking, neither that nor radar saw it. The 172 shouldn't have been there (for several reasons), but it was!

So keep one pair of eyes (at least) outside!

greatorex
4th Apr 2004, 14:19
I was once driving a car in a really bad rainstorm when the windscreen wipers failed. For a nanosecond my eyes instinctively went 'onto instruments' and it took me a few more puzzled nanoseconds to realise that they weren't there!!!!! :D :O :D :O

vintage ATCO
4th Apr 2004, 14:34
Similar problem making new ATCOs look out of the window of the tower instead head down looking at the gizmos! :D

Chilli Monster
5th Apr 2004, 03:28
Similar problem making new ATCOs look out of the window of the tower instead head down looking at the gizmos! Take the chair away - it works a treat ;)

2D's I think has a point. FD also broached on it too - and that is workload. The more experienced pilot can probably switch from one to the other quite easily. If it's someone whoever who has only just got an IMC, or has one but doesn't used it often enough then they're not going to have the capacity to switch as easily. Human nature therefore is to look at what is perceived as the smaller of the most important views - the instrument, and the bigger one (the windows) get left out.

Is it a problem - yes. Hopefully one that instructors will comment on during the two yearly flight, or during any other training. It is one of those things however I think will happen, and with the advent of more 'toys' in the cockpit it'll be more and more. There's nothing wrong with the toys - but there will come a time when the training system itself will have to evolve to encompass this kind of kit. However, with the state of the countries training and hire fleet I won't hold my breath.