PDA

View Full Version : VFR clearance through Luton?

Flyboy-F33
31st Mar 2004, 13:25
What are my chances of getting a VFR clearance through lutons overhead if routing via Hyde and Pirton VRP's?

Got a trip next monday from Elstree to Peterlee, and going through would save a little time.

Cheers in advance

GG

vintage ATCO
31st Mar 2004, 15:15
Shouldn't be a problem, depends on traffic at the time. If you don't ask, you don't get!

The VRPs are really there for the entry/exit lanes, it is not a requirement to route via them if you're overflying.

Plan on crossing via the landing threshold but make sure you have a plan B up your sleeve in case for some reason you are refused transit.

VA

2Donkeys
31st Mar 2004, 16:03
Echoing entirely what VA says, a transit is normally possible, although in the event of IFR traffic on the approach, you may be asked to hold south of the centreline to keep the missed approach path clear.

The plan B you need to have up your sleeve is the ability to route below 2500 feet directly North from BPK (caution the Panshanger ATZ) passing to the east of Stevenge outside controlled airspace.

2D

Inverted81
31st Mar 2004, 17:05
I've been given clearence a couple of times to fly the LTN overhead on transit. Both times i've had to hold to the North before given final clearence to progress to the south. As VA said, as long as it isn't too busy you'll be fine! Flying from panshanger also, the ATZ is pretty busy under "traffic" RT but again, keep your eyes open as this is a pretty busy corridor through Stansted and Luton areas.
Hope this helps!
Chris

TC_LTN
31st Mar 2004, 18:49
Well I think it has all been said. I would just add that we generally only hold traffic north or south of the final approach track when IFR traffic is established on the final approach track at less than about 6 miles from touchdown. If there is a continuous stream of inbounds (yes it does happen at Luton sometimes) then we may ask you to remain outside the zone or offer an alternative transit route. One final point, do pay careful attention to which threshold you are cleared to transit via. It will normally be the landing threshold and is very embarrassing for you and me if you (or I) get it wrong. This does seem to be an increasing problem for some strange reason.