PDA

View Full Version : CATC Course!

JimboUK2004
31st Mar 2004, 11:45
Hey chaps!

I've heard rumours about the course changing at the CATC in Bouremouth.

All I know is that there will be a general course for about 10wks, then people concentrate in Aerodrome or Area Control. Aerodrome seems to be less required I've heard.

What I really want to know is the structure.... like is there going to be 15hrs of flight training still, and airline familiarisation etc...?

Cheers my fellow ATCers. :D

Inverted81
31st Mar 2004, 17:00
Hey Jim,
At interview i was told that there would still be the flying training and also an airline week, with BA travelling the depths of europe (perhaps). Apparently this should happen following aerodrome training, as everyone should complete this despite progressing to RADAR or not.

Chris :O

Phantom99
31st Mar 2004, 17:21
I'm sure others can provide more detailed info, but as far as I am aware, the new course starts in July, which will be a short intoductory course mainly covering basic radar, after which you will be directed to Aerodrome/Approach or Area course.

The Intro room was being set up when I was finishing my latest course, and the hardware looks fairly impressive. I have to admit I had heard that the course wasn't as long as 10 wks, but I could be wrong.

Gonzo
31st Mar 2004, 20:06
And to add to Phantom99's post (hello:ok: ), the...

airline week, with BA travelling the depths of europe (perhaps).

.....is actually two flights on the jumpseat, a few hours in the Sims at Cranebank, a day learning how to evacuate an a/c, sliding down the chutes etc...the rest of the week is taken up by lectures on BA's accounting, how to roster cabin crew etc.

Just didn't want anyone to get the idea you spend a whole week jetting about Europe!

Inverted81
1st Apr 2004, 08:01
Hi,
thanks for that, at least we now know whats REALLY gonna happen! What has BA accounts got to do with ATC apart from being made aware that a delayed/late aircraft looses money, or is the point?
C

JimboUK2004
1st Apr 2004, 08:51
Thanks for all your comments people.
The reason I ask is because I had my assessment centre on the 12th March this year and there were lots of rumours 'flying' about (see what I did there:p -"flying" about), sorry, the comedian side of me trying to get out again.... as I was saying, no one had a clue really, and I was at the CATC in Bourenmouth earlier that week for a nosey around and one of the lecturers there wasn't totally sure, or maybe didn't want to reveal too much!

Still sounds good though, I hope I get past the interview stage... its on 17th May:eek:

Thanks for your comments anyway... cleared things up for me!
Jim

Phantom99
1st Apr 2004, 10:21
And to add to Phantom99's post (hello ),

Sorry, do I know you? ;)

Jim,

Good luck with the interview, im sure you'll do great.

I totally understand how frustrating it must be with no firm information on course length etc, but at the moment there seems to be a fair amount of shake up of policies and structure at the college. For example I believe those on OJT at LL and KK will not be returning for the approach course, instead going straight to validation. Which is great for them, a little disapointing for others.

I know someone who has been working on the new intro course, and it seems that it will be an interesting way of learning, almost self-tuition in terms of practical skills.

With regard to the BA course, I found it to be interesting, but most of all great fun! I flew to Zurich and Paris CDG, and it certainly opened my eyes to the cockpit workload involved in short sectors. They try to provide one long flight and one short, some people managed to go to Madrid or Rome, and also aiming for different a/c, so I had an A319 and a 757.

The "classroom" days can become a little tedious, but depending on the flight crew present, can become quite good fun! I think overall it is to try and provide those people without much knowledge of airline ops, why things happen that affect us as ATC.

JimboUK2004
1st Apr 2004, 10:48
Cool, well one step at a time! Need to pass the interview stage yet!
Can any of you guys reccomend a good ATC book? I've already purchased 2 books, "Air Traffic Control: Air Traffic Control (Ian Allan Abc)", Graham Duke and "Air Traffic Control Test Prep", Patrick Mattson. The latter is :mad: !
Plus, before the assessment centre I made 2 visits... one to London City, that was mint, and I also took a trip to CATC at Bouremouth and that was also really good, I learnt a hell of a lot. I live in London at present :sad: where would be best to visit next? I'm hoping to take another trip to the college again to see a lecturer I visited.
Cheers,
Jim :ok:

Jerricho
1st Apr 2004, 11:46
What has BA accounts got to do with ATC apart from being made aware that a delayed/late aircraft looses money, or is the point?

Not really the point. Apart from when Point Seven is plugged in, aircraft are delayed for saftey reasons (whether it be from lack of staffing right through to simple capacity) The whole BA "experience" is a chance to see all facets of an airline. Some of it does reach the boredom threshold a little early........beats having to study though, doesn't it!

alfie1999
1st Apr 2004, 15:56
Jimbo,
All the best with your upcoming interviews. I don't know what training salary you've been advised of but at the moment it is planned to be adjusted to £14k + housing allowance from Oct 04. I'm sure this won't affect your enthusiasm or commitment towards ATC as a career but it might help you plan your finances if the advertised rates of pay haven't been updated on the application form.

JimboUK2004
4th Apr 2004, 23:20
alfie1999,
Thanks for your reply... I have to say that I'm really not bothered about money at this stage, one step at a time. WHEN i get the job, I will worry then, but even on £14.5k or whatever it is, I'd be more than happy. I have student debts to pay off, but I've already done the sums and I know for a fact that Id have a damn sight more than I would now -- I'm currently living in London
:* and its getting me down. Moved down from Scarborough, North Yorkshire last Aug after uni, not the best choice ever! Hate it! Anyway, besides the point, I know for a facyt that if, ahem, sorry, WHEN, oh yes, positive thinking, I get the job I'll be the guy walking down the street with a rediculously massive grin from ear to ear and wont be wiped off!!

Laters doods, I'm tired, just driven 25miles :zzz:
JIM:ok: :sad:

mr.777
8th Apr 2004, 22:55
Evening all,
mr.777 here reporting here from Course 130...we started down at the College on Monday.
We are the last course that are doing the "traditional" aerodrome/approach or area course.As of June,you guys will be doing a 9 month introductory course,followed by either approach or area...so you will know from day 1 whether you will be at Swanwick/Prestwick or one of the airports.As far as I know,the salary drop is starting in June 04 i.e Course 131,although this is not confirmed.
Hope this helps...yeah,the salary drop is not ideal (easy for me to say,having avoided it!) but the course is FANTASTIC...and I've only been doing it for 1 week!!!
Good luck to all of you heading down there over the next year...be prepared for some hard work,good times also..
Cheers,

ILS 119.5
9th Apr 2004, 03:22
Sorry Mr 777,
but thereis not a traditional ATC course. When I went through the college we did 5 ratings and a ppl. CAA/SRG decide on what courses are provided. These are governed by demand and operational needs.

Fletchers Left Boot
9th Apr 2004, 08:43
I know what he meant by "traditional".. for many years at CATC you did ADC, followed by either area or approach. Not sure when the "5 ratings and a PPL" was changed to the streaming system we have now, but the new intro course is probably the biggest change since then.

FLB

Arkady
9th Apr 2004, 09:45
The course format in use at the moment has only been around for 10 years. Prior to that each course was structured to prepare students to pass the do or die SRG exam at the end. Losing that was a big change.

alfie1999
9th Apr 2004, 13:34
mr777,
did the staff suggest the june cse was the first to drop to the new salary scale or was it suggested amongst the students? its at odds to what HR have told me; need to know whether i'm going to be claiming income support or not, lol.

alfie1999
4th May 2004, 16:01
Received a letter today dated 19 April explaining the June course was likely to be primarily for London airports. In addition, the new pay scales won't come in to effect until September.

The last time I spoke to the College it seemed the course make-up was changing and student streaming hadn't been decided for certain for June.

Is there anyone on the 'inside' who can give me a more up-to-date pointer to which way the June course is likely to go?