PDA

View Full Version : Approach into Coventry

thoma-hawk
31st Mar 2004, 06:52
Why do aircraft fly much lower (for much longer) on their approach into Coventry Airport, than aircraft on their approach into Birmingham Airport?

This is a genuine question for professionals (no ignoble replies please).

Legs11
31st Mar 2004, 08:16
Just guessing, but maybe the Coventry inbounds are flying at an agreed level below Birmingham traffic or indeed controlled airspace:hmm:

thoma-hawk
31st Mar 2004, 09:29
East Coventry (approaching Runway 23) appears to be a corridoor of uncontrolled air-space. Have I got this wrong?

31st Mar 2004, 19:44
Suggest you pop in to ATC for a chat. Perhaps you could outline your requirements and come to a better understanding as regards the general traffic handling and co-ordination problems. I'm not at Coventry but nearly all Controllers are more than happy to see the "customer". Perhaps the luxury of refined constant descent low drag approaches that are available within Controlled Airspace are not so easy to achieve in that area.....but that would only be a guess on my part ; furthermore it could be the inter-twining complexity of a multiplicity of climbing/crossing/descending tracks in the area. Good Luck with the new outfit, down here at Swanwick we've seen a few of your planes plopping along on our ATC wonder-scopes.

thoma-hawk
1st Apr 2004, 00:38
Thank-you Legs11 and 055166K.

Can anyone from Birmingham ATC please help or give me a telephone number to arrange a visit to Birmingham ATC?

Manu Forte
1st Apr 2004, 10:29
Ring Admin on 0121 780 0901 during office hours and, assuming you are aircrew, I'm sure we can arrange a visit in the near future.

thoma-hawk
2nd Apr 2004, 06:01
Thank you Manu Forte for this invitation.

I look forward to meeting you all and gaining a better understanding of the complexity of the ATC issues involved.

You're all doing a great job!