PDA

View Full Version : Went to Beccles - No fuel

bar shaker
30th Mar 2004, 12:56
I went to Beccles on Sunday and found that they had no fuel. I suppose I could have rung to ask, but assumed that a licensed hard runway field, with flying school and its own ATZ would have fuel. It wasn't a problem, as I had enough to get back anyway, but a bit extra would have soothed my nerves.

When booking in, the controller said "We are NOTAMed as having no fuel". I had checked my NOTAMs including the specific aerodrome NOTAM for EGSM. I have since checked again and there is no NOTAM for them having no fuel.

Am I missing an area of NOTAMs to check or should I let EGSM that they are not NOTAMed for this?

I should point out that this isn't a dig at Beccles. They made us very welcome, charged us a pittance for a landing fee and included a cup of coffee in said pittance. Very nice people.

Zlin526
30th Mar 2004, 17:20
I suppose the moral of this story is "Never assume". A licensed airfield has to fulfill certain standards, but having fuel available for visiting punters is not one of them. I remember visiting Little Gransden years ago and then having to divert to Bourn for fuel, after making the very same mishtake and assuming.....:{

Arclite01
30th Mar 2004, 20:08
If you are local then you can get fuel at Seething - 5 mins flying time from Beccles.

Ring first though to check they are open.......

Arc

bar shaker
31st Mar 2004, 07:46
Thanks Arclite

I didn't ask if there was anywhere local to get some as I did have enough for the flight back. If I had been short, I could have got a taxi to a petrol station as I can use Mogas.

Others may not be so lucky though.

I'll ring Beccles today and let them know its not NOTAMed, unless anyone else has found something I have missed.

BS

Squadgy
31st Mar 2004, 11:50
UK AIP entry for Beccles shows :

Fuelling : Nil

bar shaker
31st Mar 2004, 11:59
Thanks Squadgy

I thought it would come up on the areodrome specific NOTAM list, so will check the AIPs more thoroughly in future.

BS

Genghis the Engineer
31st Mar 2004, 12:15
This years and last years Pooleys also say "Fuel: Nil".

How's that old expression go, never check, assume. ?

G

jayemm
31st Mar 2004, 19:20
Went to Caernarvon from Blackbushe last year in a Warrior. On landing they asked if I wanted fuel, and I said I'd fill-up before leaving.

I toured the museum, had some food, went for a stroll. Left just enough time for the flight back to the Bushe to arrive before 6pm.

Started up, taxied to the pumps.....no fuel! Apparently they'd had so many visitors it was down to sludge (my word) which they didn't want to dispense, quite rightly I guess.

So, after lots of checking the tanks, wind checks, mathematics, whizzy-wheeling and phonecalls we reserved fuel at Welshpool and flew there.

I fill up anywhere I can now! ;)

J.A.F.O.
31st Mar 2004, 21:25
Never pass a fuel stop, the only time you've got too much is when you're on fire and the only thing of less use than fuel on the ground is the air above you.

On the positive side for Beccles I've never heard of them running out of coffee.