PDA

View Full Version : flight director indications

Nigd3
30th Mar 2004, 10:42
Has anyone ever seen a different flight director indication apart from the standard single cue and cross pointer (flying wing and gull wing).
I'm especially interested for the gull wing aircraft symbol and if there is an alternative to the cross pointer indicator for the FD.

Cheers

ZFT
1st Apr 2004, 01:04
RTO,

I doubt if cost is a factor as on EADI equipped aircraft the FD is an SGU customer selectable Programme Pin option.

This is why (most) modern simulators can be configured for either single or dual cue from the instructors station

Nigd3
1st Apr 2004, 04:57
Sorry Gents

My wording was not very clear in the original post.

I wanted to know if there was an alternative to the cross pointer when using a gull wing style aircraft symbol (the lower display in Chucks post). Some other different symbology that you align up to etc, rather than the two magenta lines but retaining the gull wing aircraft.

Cheers

airmen
1st Apr 2004, 06:45
I am not sure to understand your question, but there is another symbology used with the HUD Head Up Display which consist of vectors rather than command bars, the vectors shows you where you will be in space in a certain amount of time and it consist of a cylinder with some kind of wings and a ball plus other symbology which will change according the flight phase. Sorry I do not have pictures!

Cougar
1st Apr 2004, 08:16
We use the ball type flight director with a HUD. If in lateral mode only you get a ball with a vertical line, if in vertical mode only you get ball with horizontal line, if coupled to both (ie APP mode) you just get the ball and follow it wherever it goes. Good system, very user friendly.

SmolaTheMedevacGuy
1st Apr 2004, 10:45
I think it's similar on the new Embraer 170's - you just have a diamond (or a similar pointer symbol) to follow. I'm not flying them though, so I don't know the details

Greetings

Idunno
1st Apr 2004, 11:05
There's also the Flight Path Vector used by Airbus, with its associated Flight Director.

Big Pistons Forever
1st Apr 2004, 23:02
If I recall corectly the very first ( early 1970's )Cessna 800 series FD had two orange balls at the end of the gull wing. You were suposed to line up the balls with a corresponding moving dot on the side of the display. I may have the details a bit wrong as it has been a long time since I have seen one. In any case it could not have been very popular as cessna went to a conventional 2 cue display for the 800( B ) system introduced in 1975.