PDA

View Full Version : Wake Turbulence

GusHoneybun
29th Mar 2004, 19:55
Chaps,

A quick question on wake turbulence. You have an active circuit with a light single (number 2). Number 1 is a medium jet who has landed and vacated the active. Number 2 calls final for touch and go about 2 mins after number 1 landing, but quite wide in circuit.

What's your call? Cleared Land or Cleared Touch and Go?

Curious as I can't find any guidelines on wake turb distances or times for touch and go aircraft following landing traffic.

Fly Through
29th Mar 2004, 20:36
Cleared touch & go

On downwind the light will have been told 'Caution Vortex......' so his responsibility on the approach. After the medium's nose wheel is down , no more vortex wake so a touch & go will be fine. If the medium was also doing a touch & go it'd be different.

Rgds FT

Barnaby the Bear
30th Mar 2004, 09:14
GusHoneyBun,

I met the bloke that used to have his hand up your ar$@. Did you ever recover from such abuse on regional TV? :eek:

AlanM
30th Mar 2004, 09:23
Barnaby

That's nothing...... Gus read my Brothers birthday out once.

:)

Eva San
30th Mar 2004, 11:37
There's no wake turbulence problem between departing and arriving aircrafts and the other way around. The only trouble is between two arriving or two departing. The touch and go case is to be consider as arriving aircraft regarding a preceding landing one and as a departing regarding the preceding which is taking off .

So to come back to your example, let's imagine that a medium is departing and in the circuit there's a light traffic asking for touch and go. The light one has to be advised of the wake turbulence of the preceding and make such a circuit as to be on the runway at least two minutes after the medium has departed. Then the controller will be able to clear him for a touch and go, otherwise it's gonna be a full stop landing !

The problem is valid for big airports with only one runway, where the controller might ask the light one for a short circuit due to faster traffic, lets' say on Ifr procedure... then the touch and go is not really advisable if bigger traffic has just departed ...