PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor Salary

james99
28th Mar 2004, 10:46
Hello,

I'm looking to work my way up from 0 hours to a fATPL. I am graduating from university in the summer and, therefore, do not have any significant funds to speak of. I am trying to draw up a budget from which I can plan my flying training. I'm looking into the possibility of getting a PPL with Instructor rating and then instructing while hour building, etc in order to progress with my training.

I have read some of the posts on this forum and realise that some of you may feel that I am being disrespectful to instructors, but I assure you this is not my intention. I feel that taking this route would help me to achieve my ambition to fly as an airline pilot whilst minimising the amount of money that I would otherwise have to take out as an unsecured loan (risky!!).

With this in mind I was wondering what a 'typical' PPL instructor salary would be. I realise that this would vary depending on many factors such as the FTO, the area where the FTO is based, etc, but a rough guide would be very helpful to me in trying to budget for my training.

I'm not expecting users to publish their personal details, so if you wish to send me a PM that would be great.

Thanks very much.

homeguard
28th Mar 2004, 11:37
You should expect to earn from £zero to £15 per hour. You would be being optimistic to earn any more than £10,000 - £15,000 per year where you are are paid. You must hold a CPL to be paid as an Instructor. If you add an Instructor Rating to a PPL, then you cannot be paid.

Instructing is unlikely to pay off your loans. Your later salary as a CPL will need to do that. Not really fair, perhaps, but reality

Send Clowns
28th Mar 2004, 22:56
Think of it more as an allowace, or perhaps a pittance. Once you have the hours you can teach CPL, where money improves, but don't expect to more than survive on a PPL insructor's pay, let alone pay off those loans.

james99
29th Mar 2004, 11:47
Thanks very much for the advice. Very helpful.