PDA

View Full Version : Strange TAF to decode...

skydriller
27th Mar 2004, 09:00
Hi,

I was checking the weather on meteo.fr last night to get an indication if it would be misty this morning, and found the following at the end of a TAF for Bordeaux...

TX06/21Z TN01/06Z

... I checked this morning and its not there now, or I would post the entire TAF/METAR, I only wrote it down to look up this morning purely out of interest, as I have never seen this before.

Im guessing the Z refers to Time, 21:00 and 06:00, but what exactly?

So, any Ideas?

Regards, SD..

Edit to change the second part to TN01/06Z, sorry, finger trouble

bluskis
27th Mar 2004, 09:35
I think it may be thuderstorms from 0600Z to 2100Z.

N01/06Z I don't know

Giles Wembley-Hogg
27th Mar 2004, 10:30
This decode is actually to do with temperatures. If I remember correctly it translates as "the maximum temperature will occur at 21h00 and will be 6degC".

I think that the format of the second part of the message should be TN01/06Z, meaning "the minimum temperature will occur at 06h00 and will be 1degC".

If this isn't correct, it is probably not that far out. I have been looking for a reference for this type of TAF information for a while, but have not been able to find one. If anyone has a source, please let us know.

G W-H

skydriller
27th Mar 2004, 11:20
Thanks GWH, That makes sense.

You were right about the second part and have edited my first post accordingly,

Regards, SD..

The Ugly Fend Off
27th Mar 2004, 16:11
Military Flight Information Handbooks provide just such information. Along with a lot of other useful stuff if you can get your hands on one. Find a mil pilot at your local club and ask him/her to get you one.

bluskis
27th Mar 2004, 17:02
My guess was incorrect. Page 78 of the French meteo service utilisation of codes has it as GWH says. It is on www.meteo.fr but you will need an access code for the aero section.

skydriller
27th Mar 2004, 21:50
Bluskis

Thanks for saying there is a decode list. Would you believe that I use the Meteo.fr site all the time, but have never scrolled down the page to see those .pdf files:= , but just click straight through to the login etc..:O

Regards, SD..