PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rates?

wandrews
25th Mar 2004, 15:55
I know someone who has taken a test recently.
It involved multiple choice and spatial reasoning with cubes, among other things.

First question:
Are all sections of the test equally weighted?
e.g. if someone was weaker on spatial awareness than other parts of the test, will the represent a big problem?

Second question:
Is it possible to check online for the test results, or are they all sent via snail mail?

Third question:
What is the pass rate needed to go to the next stage?

Many thanks!

mickrobbo
25th Mar 2004, 16:29
I took my tests recently at Manchester. As far as I know the results are sent via "snail mail" 10 working days after the test day.
I believe NATS draw a line at 70%, all those above that pass, there is no limit to how many can pass, nor will they lower the bar if everyone fails.

I'm led to believe that on average only about 1/3 of those who take the tests progress through first time, but I could be way off there.

I also hope that they take an overall percentage rather than on each test as the spatial awareness test is a killer!!!

Hope that helps in some way.

Fidgell
25th Mar 2004, 19:22
Youre right about the 70% pass mark, but unfortunately, it is 70% in EACH test, there is no average scoring allowed. Again though, you are right, everybody who passes the figure will progress, this is non competitive.

Good Luck....:ok:

26th Mar 2004, 07:15
70% may seem a little high compared with schoolwork, but try to realise that in ATC the bits you don't know may be the difference between life and death. When you get on to the shopfloor it will all have been worth it........a great job and a great family/team atmosphere. We depend on each other like links in a chain ....hence the 70%[ and nicely back to where we started].

wandrews
26th Mar 2004, 09:05
Can someone please explain the following, which I found on this forum?

"At my second stage they simplified the score into out of ten, and i know i got :-

Cubes 10/10
Symbols 10/10
Sorting 8/10
mental arthmetic 4/10

Make out of that what you will"

Many thanks

P.S. Is it 70% of all questions in the test, or all completed questions by the applicant?

Inverted81
26th Mar 2004, 09:18
Hi all,
On the same lines, has anyone any info on the pass rate from interview? I had my interviews a couple of days ago, think all went ok apart from the number sorting part of the computer tests..... (went past so quickly!) worried now!!! If all other parts of the day were fine would they not pass you if one part of the tests was rubbish?
Fingers crossed anyway!

c

side-saddled
26th Mar 2004, 12:24
When I went through the initial selection tests, I later found out that I too got a low (3/10) score for mental arithmetic, but was told that I was given the job because of my high scoring in spacial awareness and complex reasoning.
However, I took the tests before september 11th when NATS was having a hugh recruitment drive and they let more people in and put the students on watches down at CATC.

I was informed by HR at CATC that the way they work it is they have a "special" scale that ranges from one to ten in each section of questions.
They then have set bands within that scale which they say the majority of average ATCO's fall in between and if your scores from these "special" scales fall within the average ATCO criteria you'll get the job.

They also take the answers from your personality questionaire and to be honest, they do actually paint a very accurate picture of the sort of person you are, and they see wether you fit into the average personality trait of the average ATCO.

They don't seem to be looking for superstars but just mister average who can do the job.

You must remember though, that even if you get through these initial selection test and get to the college for training, you have to work bloody hard for up to two years before you even get to your unit, your constantly reminded that you are a mobile grade and could be posted anywhere or sent anywhere on OJT so if you haven't got a good enough excuse prepare to move or travel long distances, if your face doesn't fit ...... , but other than that, once you get past the first three to four years you'll enjoy life as a controller to it's full potential.

OR you could get a job as an ATSA at the airport you really want to work at that is non-NATS and with hard work and good time keeping etc, be sent by them on courses and become a controller that way. NATS is good because it's free training and they pay you but the other way works just the same and you'll know where you'll be working at the end of it and have an extremely good knowledge of the aerodrome before you're trained and go back for validation.

Mowers
26th Mar 2004, 12:48
I think one thing to bear in mind is that, in my opinion, NATS recruitment is one of the poorest parts of the business.

Not sure whether it's a case of too few people to deal with too many applications, but everytime I was assured that results/interview dates/medical assessment dates would be with me "in 10 -12 days" I ended up phoning them myself after three weeks waiting.

Thankfully once you're in the fold the communication improves a lot.

It is the best job in the world (so far anyway), periods of boredom at the college mixed with long nights revision and horrible practical assessments, potentially with your mates getting the chop. Once at unit it's all worth while.

My advise... keep on at HR for answers!!

Best of luck

sla
26th Mar 2004, 20:45
Is there anyone out there who got through the selection tests even though they did poorly on the spatial awareness?

I would love to hear if it's possible to pass despite not doing too well in this aspect - as I am not too confident at all how I got on with them. I think all the other tests were OK though.

Thanx for any help. :D

pikman
27th Mar 2004, 23:46
I performed terribly on spacial reasoning tests as I found out just at the point of getting chopped! (at the end of area radar) This didn't stop me from going non-state, getting all my ratings and becoming an OJTI and a watch manager. Life exists outside of NATS if you just keep a focus on what you want to do!