PDA

View Full Version : Snow place for an airstrip

In Altissimus
25th Mar 2004, 15:05
A bit intimate for my tastes, and not really enough to hold on to when it got turbulent - but I can't complain about the views.

At the altiport above Tignes a fortnight ago...

http://stephen.homedns.org/public/pict0014.jpg

No in-flight pics I'm afraid - too busy holding on :rolleyes:

Good job he had QNH set - we took off downhill...

http://stephen.homedns.org/public/pict0016crop.jpg

Still - I've only been up to 6500' before.

360BakTrak
25th Mar 2004, 15:10
Is there any way of carrying your ski's on that thing?:)

The Nr Fairy
25th Mar 2004, 15:22
Yup. Look at the first picture - all you do is lend your skis to the microlight for the trip !

bar shaker
25th Mar 2004, 16:35
The machine is a Kiss 400 with a 65hp Rotax 582 2 stroke engine. A very nice microlight.

You can put your skis inside the wing :ok:

Thirty06
26th Mar 2004, 22:08
Oh wow! that is Sooooo Coool.

A little flying machine which appears to be wearing snowblades.

Does anyone know if the French regulations concerning the use of altisurfaces for microlights are similar to those for aeroplanes ?

NinjaBill
26th Mar 2004, 22:45
I'm off to tignes in a few days time, how much does it cost to have a flight there, and how do i go about organising one?

NB

In Altissimus
27th Mar 2004, 06:36
NB

The microlight flights are advertised quite widely around Tignes. One of the two big ski schools (either ESF or Evolution) also promotes them.

It's actually a one-man band. There's no advantage in trying to booking direct. He flies from the altiport above Val Claret. You just go up the 'Tichot' chairlift and it's about 500m on your left - very easy.

The guy was very friendly, although we quickly established that my French was a lot better than his English(!). It seemed to me that the price came down a little when we established I was a fellow aviator :ok: I ended up paying E60 for 35 minutes I think. Not cheap by microlight standards, but worth every cent.

I'll try to post a pic of the 'altiport' later...

Aerobatic Flyer
27th Mar 2004, 09:28
Does anyone know if the French regulations concerning the use of altisurfaces for microlights are similar to those for aeroplanes ?

Microlights can use altiports and altisurfaces without restriction, and without the pilot requiring training. Quite different than for aeroplanes.

The French microlight and mountain pilots associations are working together to agree recommended training for microlight pilots. The training won't be mandatory, but in my view it is indispensable when using places like Tignes. There's not a lot of room for error....

bar shaker
27th Mar 2004, 10:35
IA

That is about the going rate (£80ph) for a trial flight in the UK, so considering its the cost of 6 pints in Tignes, it was a bargain :ok:

Thirty06
27th Mar 2004, 13:12
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Microlights can use altiports and altisurfaces without restriction, >and without the pilot requiring training. Quite different than for >aeroplanes.

Different indeed ! Possibly it's easier to judge the nature of a landing surface from a microlight than it is from a regular aeroplane ?

>The French microlight and mountain pilots associations are >working together to agree recommended training for microlight >pilots. The training won't be mandatory, but in my view it is >indispensable when using places like Tignes. There's not a lot of >room for error....

Tignes probably has more room for error than some of the other places available. Gusty crosswinds can spring up and if there are trees dotted about with a ridge in front of you it must be quite different from most landing areas. I don't think I'd fancy an EFATO from that location since there's not a lot of spare space at the bottom, could you glide as far as the lake ? Probably not.

Mind you. In Altissimus picked a week with some of the OKest CAVOK I've seen in a long while, gentle breezes and all round nice stuff.

60€ for 35 mins looks about the same rate as you'd pay for dual control in the UK at some of the microlighting schools I've looked into.

>That is about the going rate (£80ph) for a trial flight in the UK, >so considering its the cost of 6 pints in Tignes, it was a bargain

Sheesh! where where you drinking ?